Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's a sign...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incredible stuff man! Can't wait to see more. One day I hope to have a beer with you.

Another thing I feel I must say...or, more properly, BEG.... please please please don't judge American music by Rihanna! Lol.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Well she's from Barbados.....so...........

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds like a great idea! Having a cold beer, chatting about bbq and everything else.

Time for the smoke stack. This one went through quite a few 'phases' in my head before landing on the final design. Due to availability of size and material I had to redesign it a few times, but I actually think it ended up better, so I'm happy.

I had a hard time finding a big enough steel pipe that was made from 'thin' metal. As soon as the diameter was 8-10 inches then the actual material thickness was 6-8 mm (1/4 inches). That would be ridiculously heavy for a simple chimney, so I had to switch. I was first keen on chroming the smoke stack for good looks, but in this case I decided to use stainless steel instead. Now, as everyone knows it is a bit harder to weld stainless steel together with plain (what we call 'black') steel. It can of course be done, using different welding material, but I couldn't be bothered. Also, I had to settle with a slightly smaller diameter, which I compensated by using a longer pipe, so it should all be good.

So instead I made a very short (2 inch) pipe in plain steel and welded a flange on one end. That little piece will be welded on to the end of the big tank/food chamber. Then I welded three more flanges, one onto the big pipe, and one on each end of the 90 degree bend. I was thinking quite hard about how to build a smooth bend, then I realized they can be bought off the shelf for a relatively decent price, so that saved me a lot of work. Why not? :-)

Here's the smoke stack, measuring in at 2.7 metres (8.9 feet). Diameter 160 mm (6.3 inches)

Click image for larger version  Name:	smokestack1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	234492

All in all I think it looks super-professional. And the air flow will be real smooth, as there are no sharp edges or turns. I actually think the main pipe is a bit too long right now, but I'd rather have it that way and shorten it later, than having one that is too short from the beginning.

Here's a closeup of the various parts/flanges. Note the 'regular' steel pipe to the far right.

Click image for larger version  Name:	smokestack2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	785.4 KB ID:	234491

I must admit: I had help making the flanges. So far I've done every single grind/weld/cut myself, but a friend's friend work at a machining shop so I had him make the flanges using their water jet. It is almost as old as me (the water jet), but making simple flanges was a no-brainer. Again, I traded some money for a lot of time.

The old water jet

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_29010.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	234490

Almost done
    The firebox is done, but I welded two off-the-shelf hinges to the lid, just because I was a bit stressed for time and wanted to finish it. Looking at it now, it completely ruins the whole steampunk look, so I will cut them off and redo it by building/welding my own hinges. That way it will look good. Since I used two boxes (an inner and an outer), made from 4 mm steel (5/32 inch), it weighs a ton. Not kidding. I have moved it around quite a bit for the last few days, and darn it if I haven't lost weight ;-)

Next up
    I've returned the heavy duty cast iron wheels, as I have realized that they're too small (in diameter). Instead I'm scouring Ze Internet for used/old trailers, or caravans where the caravan has been removed from the undercarriage. I'm thinking that this will be a big and heavy smoker, and if I can weld it directly to a trailer it will be so much more easy to haul around. If I can't find a used one I'm real keen on building one, as it won't take long. In that case I'll buy the wheels/axle, and build the frame using square pipe.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I would make it as long as possible. Just start cutting off if the air seems to be cooling off enough to affect the draft.

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard I totally agree thickness doesn't change conductivity and insulating thinner walls is the way to go. I guess I am talking more about thermal mass. Like a soda can cools quicker than a 3/16 wall pipe of the same size? Or not? inquiring minds want to know LOl.

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Powersmoke_80 I too would like to see where thermal mass kicks in or the actual recommended stack height with respect to air flow

It's like my favorite tv show ending and then having to wait until next time to pick back up....

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Tune in next week, same Bat time, Same Bat Channel lol!!!

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha, agreed, this is awesome.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha, same Bat channel, gotta love that reference!

Fun posts Henrik . I admire your skill. Looking Great!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

So, thought I'd post some pictures on the firebox assembly. Specifically the hole for the hot air exiting the firebox and entering the food chamber. It measures 4x22 inches (10x56 cm). I want it large so that there are no obstructions to the airflow on its way to the chimney. On the pictures you can also see the (almost) 1 inch airgap between the inner and outer box. On these pictures the metal has only been tap welded. I did a full seam later.

As for the insulation: the firebox is only insulated on four (as opposed to six) sides. The two short ends are left as is. I figure half of the one short end will be mounted to, and protruding into, the food chamber. The other has a big door to let air in, so not much point insulating that end either.

Looking "into" the firechamber, the door is supposed to be mounted on this end. You can see the air opening at the food chamber end of the firebox here.

Name:	firebox2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	235693

Here's another shot, the single (outer) box before putting the inner and outer box together

Name:	firebox1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	235694

Here's an overview of the construction, just for reference

Name:	smoker_blueprint.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	235695

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      1. I like the color, but

2. I'm skeptical of all the little pinholes the smoker appears to have. I think that would cause some air flow problems and heat loss problems.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Darn it, I just knew there was something crucial I have overlooked ;-)

Everything is starting to come together. What a great resource, having a local metal shop like that. I am enjoying following this one. Everything looks great so far. i cant wait until we can see some smoke coming out of this baby.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I'm looking forward to it also! Will stock up on a lot of cookies, so I can fine tune the air flow and therefore make sure the temp is even all through the chamber.

So, just a quick follow-up: I am currently in need of two things for work to progress:

1. A (used) trailer. This has proven to take longer than expected, but the search is still on.
    2. A new welding machine. There goes my christmas money.... :-)

Work has stalled for a bit, but will post updates when I get the big tank home.

Comment

A little bit ago Skip said he admired your skill. Me, I hate guys like you, always have. My brother-in law built his own house, I hated it. My friends, growing up, used to jump into an engine do wonderful things, I hated it.
      I'm the type of guy you could hand a welder or a box of tools, or whatever tool & I would give you my best impression of a deer in headlights look (be careful there Jerod).
      What you are doing is beyond cool, the pics, the story line, everything is cool! Still does'nt mean I don't hate you for it.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, thank you very much! Well, I grew up with my grandpa building 35 something veteran cars from scratch, none newer than 1920, so I had good training. My favorite was a 1907 Cadillac, one of his last.

RE: the welding machine - once the smoker is built, are you going to have a use for it? Is there some welder near you who'd trade a couple of hours' work for a nice pork butt? My Dad grew up on a farm, so I was required to learn how to fix vehicles (and I can't tell you how many dates I went on smelling like grease and Lava soap) BUT I drew the line at heavy work like welding. Then, you could use the savings to buy a better trailer.

(FireMan, I sympathize - I hated every minute of it, but I'm sure glad NOW that I learned how to fix stuff because now I say "Pick that up and do THIS with it . . .". AND, I know my limitations - welding being a big one. "Hey, you want to earn a quick $20?")
      Last edited by Harry; December 3, 2016, 06:07 PM. Reason: TYPOS, of course.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Lava soap, brings back memories. The gritty green bar.

• Atalanta
        Atalanta commented
        Editing a comment
        We had the vat of gunk that you'd smear up to your elbows and towel off. My step father taught us to be grease monkeys, helpful when the beater cars were older than us. lol

So, I can finally post some updates. The build is back on track! Nobody is happier than me. I bought a brand new welder, and it is a dream to work with. Short story: I decided to pay to get a real good one, and it worked ;-)

I have also bought a trailer that is large enough, which is good. You're not allowed to build your own, and drive it on the streets. It must have brakes, et.c. or otherwise you're only allowed to drive 30 km/h (18 miles/h). So, long story short, I found and bought one that was in good shape.

One thing that has bothered me all this time, especially when trying to find a trailer big enough is that the white tank I found lying around weighs a ton. Literally. I will have to rent a hyudralic crane just to move it around. Not to mention finding a trailer with an axle that can support the weight.

SO: I've decided to ditch the big old tank and roll my own, all the way, and built it 10 times lighter. After all, I am an engineer :-)

(might have to eat those words later on....)

Here's the trailer, nothing fancy, but will do the job. It measures 2.5 meters by 1.6 meters (8.5 feet by 5.2 feet).

Name:	IMG_7837.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	277989

As for the new design, I can't help thinking of an airplane fuselage. I constructed a wooden frame that is the size of the food chamber on the inside.

Name:	IMG_7840.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	277990

I have then ordered a bunch of sheet metal. I welded large sheets together, which will be wrapped around the wooden frame. After that I will weld L-bars (angle bars) lengthwise to reinforce the "tube" before wrapping another layer of sheet metal on top. That way I will have an insulated food chamber too.

But first the end pieces. They are 3 mm steel, as I won't insulate those. Took forever cutting out circles, but now it's done.

Name:	IMG_7842.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	277987

I then proceeded by cutting out a hole for the chimney. I then welded the chimney "adapter" in place. Check out those welding seams, pretty sweet.

Name:	IMG_7844.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	277986

Here's the backside of the same end piece. I decided to reinforce it since the chimney is rather large and heavy.

Name:	IMG_7846.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	277985

The firebox has now gotten "feet" also. I figure it must be standing on its own on the trailer. Other smoker builders weld it onto the food chamber so it is 'suspended' in the air, but I want the fire chamber and food chamber to be thermally decoupled, to avoid/reduce the risk of grease fires. Yep, getting all fancy, aren't I :-)

Name:	IMG_7843.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	277988

Now, onto the airplan....eer...smoker! Here's the inner food chamber being assembled.

Name:	IMG_7847.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	277991

As you can see I'm building a 'tube' or cylinder. Next up: reinforcing the inner tube with L bars (8 of them) running along the entire length of the food chamber. Then wrap the outer layer on top. And then: cutting holes for the lids!

To be continued...

Comment

Henrik So happy t' see yer cooker progressin'!!!
      Your talent makes me hang my head!!!

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Well we can't all be Leonardo Da Vinci!

It is beginning to look like a nuclear device. My building skills are better with wood that metal.

Comment

Awesome build.

Comment

I'm glad you figured out the photo posting problem you were having because these are great photos.

Comment

Yeah!!! You are a super stud. Insulated Cooking Chamber...What!?!!

You wrapped the sheet metal around your jig using straps? WOW!
            Last edited by PaulstheRibList; February 19, 2017, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you! Well, using straps was an easy decision, I only have two hands... :-) I had to figure out a way to wrap that metal _and_ hold it in place for me to weld. Straps are now off. It worked.

• PaulstheRibList
              PaulstheRibList commented
              Editing a comment
              #SuperGenius

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here