Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

weberkettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clark View Post
    I have an SnS Kettle and have problems with the finish on the lid. Paint got discolored around the vent on first 2 hr cook and now the finish inside the lid has bubbled.

Two emails to company have been ignored.

It cooks fine but I wish I had bought a Weber.
    Clark very sorry if we missed your emails. Please make sure you are using [email protected]

Paint discoloring around the vent just sounds like smoke acretion. Probably will wash/wipe away with gentle cleaner.

As far as the bubbles inside the lid, that's most likely carbon buildup and not the finish itself.

Comment

• Clark
      Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      @DaveParrish Thanks for your response. I have tried a couple of cleaners on outside but nothing has helped.

When the rain and cold stop in a few days, I will try cleaning the inside per the video. I'll let you know what results I get.

I love my Performer Kettle with side table. It's the perfect size (table folds down) and height for me as I found the regular kettle a bit hard to use as it's shorter. The side table is a must for me. I also have many add-ons and am looking at a Santa Maria add in the future.

Only thing that would beat it is a 26" Performer (side table), which they don't make yet, but I've suggested it to them .

Comment

Cajun Bandit has some interesting accessories for kettles and WSM's, including a 26" rotisserie.

Comment

• Mark-B
        Mark-B commented
        Editing a comment
        High quality stuff! I own the rotisserie unit for the 22”.

I love my Weber kettle. I got mine in 2015, and it still is going strong. I can smoke low and slow or high heat grilling, very versatile. I use a Slow N Sear and half moon Grill Grate. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210213_173132.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	990042

Comment

Clark I have a Weber Performer Deluxe, made in 2007, in green. I've also had a black Weber kettle in the past.

My feeling is that any cooker that is lighter colored will end up with discoloration near the vents, due to the accumulation of grease from smoke escaping, and since the metal is hot, this tends to get baked on, making it hard to remove. My Performer has external discoloration around the top vent, and in a few spots around the lid where smoke tends to escape due to probe wires and such going under the edges. The gray color of the SNS Kettle is light enough to where I would expect this same issue. I don't worry with it, but do try to give my Performer a deep cleaning each spring, and have found the information here extremely helpful:

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-gri...ttle-cleaning/

I do use a razor scraper - the same one I use for cleaning paint off window glass after painting a window - on the interior of the kettle and lid when doing my annual kettle deep clean. I have never done it on the exterior though. I just clean that with soap and a scrubber, and sometimes use steel wool on the rotating metal vent, to get rid of the brown build up.

Its funny that last year after the deep clean I found a pin hole in the bottom of my Performer, that had been covered by build up. It matches with a damaged spot in the bottom porcelain finish, up above the ash catcher, and I never would have known it was there until I saw the light through the hold while looking down into the base of the kettle. It's too small to affect cooking, and is covered once I have a cook or two done in the Performer.

For what its worth - I have a "Smoke" colored Weber Genesis II E-410 gas grill, and it also has this same issue with discoloration from baked on vaporized grease accumulation, along the entire rear edge of the lid, where smoke escapes, and in a spot or two on one of the front corners of the lid. That is probably why Weber discontinued making the Genesis II in anything but black after 2018 (I got mine on clearance in January 2019).
        Last edited by jfmorris; February 15, 2021, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• Clark
          Clark commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris I have only used it about 7-8 times, all low and never over 250. I have never seen a grill of any kind get charred looking from low heat, however.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Clark if we are talking a flaky, bubbled looking black sooty surface inside the dome of the kettle - everyone gets it from cooking low and slow. I get it in the lid of my offset to a smaller extent, likely due to greater airflow. I have to knock the loose stuff off a couple times a year, and I hose it out and scrape it down at the beginning of the summer.

• Clark
          Clark commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris Thanks. I intend to do that when the temp gets back to 40-60 degrees next week.

Just came across this photo today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DF6A58A1-6E68-44D7-B268-5FCFDA253A69.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	556.5 KB
ID:	990456

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like one of those stickers on the back of the family car. Dad, mom, child, child, pet. Themed as Star Wars or stick figures....🤣

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          SheilaAnn this is a @Mr.Bones starter kit. Lol! My first one was the tiny one, got it in fall of 2018, the it just kept growing. 😜😜

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          When two kettles love each other very much....

I'm new to serious grilling and new around here, but when I got started I knew I could devote enough money and enough space for only one cooker, and after doing my research the Weber Kettle is the one I got. The abundance of accessories really tipped the decision in Weber's favor. I got a 22" Original Kettle Premium (in green) with original SnS and the Unknown BBQ lid hinge. With taxes and shipping the whole bundle set me back only about $300, and I can grill just about anything with it.

Razor is right - you don't need an SnS to smoke in a Kettle. But for a newcomer like me, it's a $60 cheat code for smoking and it sears pretty dang hot. You give up some grill real estate while smoking with it, but until people are lining up outside my door for my famous BBQ, I won't need anything bigger.

Just one man's opinion, which is worth what you paid for it.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Terp Tom I was in the same boat earlier. I ended up with a Weber 22”. Will get the SnS, per advice from here. Looking forward to your cooks! Oh, and join AR! You won’t regret it!

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Cheat code it a great way to put it. It just makes things easier.

• bardsleyque
          bardsleyque commented
          Editing a comment
          it aint cheaten if it's the only way you know!

Originally posted by Terp Tom View Post
        I'm new to serious grilling and new around here, but when I got started I knew I could devote enough money and enough space for only one cooker, and after doing my research the Weber Kettle is the one I got. The abundance of accessories really tipped the decision in Weber's favor. I got a 22" Original Kettle Premium (in green) with original SnS and the Unknown BBQ lid hinge. With taxes and shipping the whole bundle set me back only about $300, and I can grill just about anything with it.

Razor is right - you don't need an SnS to smoke in a Kettle. But for a newcomer like me, it's a $60 cheat code for smoking and it sears pretty dang hot. You give up some grill real estate while smoking with it, but until people are lining up outside my door for my famous BBQ, I won't need anything bigger.

Just one man's opinion, which is worth what you paid for it.
        Cheat code, as for someone that goes back to the Atari 2600 days of gaming, I love it. 😂

Honestly though I know this is an unpopular decision, but ever since I read this article https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...-snake-method/ I stopped using my baskets for low and slow. They are a pain in the rear to try and keep a steady burn going compared to the snake. Think about it, the snake when used in that style is about as good as a constant fuel source as you are ever going to get. The baskets are just a random order of briquettes and have a corresponding burn profile. The snake eliminates a lot of that small variance and doesn’t cost a dime.

On my 22” in a Pittsburgh winter, I can easily get up to 7 hours. I could go longer, but I generally use the WSM for those cooks. I also believe it is easier to take advantage of the available cooking space. You can place food over the unlit briquettes on the opposite side of the grill. All you have to do is move everything over 3-4 hours later when the fire gets to that side.

Comment

• Terp Tom
          Terp Tom commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember the 2600. Good times.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here