Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Web Kettle top heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you put a level on the rack itself to see if it is level? Did the legs go all the way into the sockets and lock?

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like they are loose to me as well. Mine are so friggin' tight on all of my kettles that you'd play hell trying to get them freed. They build them tight on purpose.

I bought my first kettle back in the late 1970's and have never had one tip over since. Do you have the right posts in the right holes. The single post under the front handle and the wheels in the post holes at the back.

Well good luck and hope you solve your problem soon.

Comment

You've got the shelf rack on, holding the tripod legs in place, right? It's not wobbly under normal conditions? Does it easily tip in the wind with and without the grill cover on it? Are the legs pushed all the way into the kettle base so that the spring-loaded button is popped out?

I agree with others, take a photo and post it. It sure is a puzzler.

In the meanwhile you may want to read this:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how...HowTo_browse_7

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; August 29, 2019, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Here on Th Plains, we often git days where winds are sustained 30-40 mph, with 'playful gusts' of 60-70...

Then, there's th occasional, unannounced blasts of 100 mph+ that jus randomly occur, at times... several times, so far this year...

An leave us not fergit, tornadoes! 2 damaged, and or demolished structures / vehicles /trees /fences, etc. within two blocks of my house, so far this year.

Knowin this, I keep most of my smaller cookers on th lee side (north) of my garage...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20180526_170921.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	737060

Notice th 22.5" that's right at th corner has a ~1.5"-2" slab of oak on th lower shelf...

I've also relocated my recycle bin right around th corner from her, to provide some windblock, help mitigate what comes rippin round that corner...

18.5" out front has her own slab of oak, as well...wind has taken her down, twice, although it was a helluva wind. Before I got her a cover, usedta keep her lil lid bungeed down, as well
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 29, 2019, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
          Here on Th Plains, we often git days where winds are sustained 30-40 mph, with 'playful gusts' of 60-70...

Then, there's th occasional, unannounced blasts of 100 mph+ that jus randomly occur, at times... several times, so far this year...

An leave us not fergit, tornadoes! 2 damaged, and or demolished structures / vehicles /trees /fences, etc. within two blocks of my house, so far this year.

Knowin this, I keep most of my smaller cookers on th lee side (north) of my garage...

Notice th 22.5" that's right at th corner has a ~1.5"-2" slab of oak on th lower shelf...

I've also relocated my recycle bin right around th corner from her, to provide some windblock, help mitigate what comes rippin round that corner...

18.5" out front has her own slab of oak, as well...wind has taken her down, twice, although it was a helluva wind. Before I got her a cover, usedta keep her lil lid bungeed down, as well
          Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	129
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	737051

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry, I reloaded my pic, cause it was givin me grief, an it screwed up yer quote, brother...
            My apologies...

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            No biggie. Now it's an inside joke between us.

I have several kettles out in the sun, rain, wind & snow (no roof). No tip overs. Something's not right if it's tippy.

Comment

Me neither too also and in addition to.

Santa Ana Winds can be brutal around here and never a tip.

Comment

We get high winds here sometimes...never even considered that my kettle might tip over, especially up against the house.

Comment

Thanks for the tips fellas. I have renewed faith in my Weber Kettle and will figure out what's wrong and cook on it this weekend.

Comment

• pkadare
                  pkadare commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "tips" Good one! :-)

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hope you find the solution, packerfannate , and that it's a simple one! Let us know how you get it fixed.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here