Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Your Most Used Cooker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Yoder YS-640 gets the lions share of work. Also have a 22” Weber, a Saber gasser, and a Blackstone griddle. Love the sear of the charcoal if I’ve time. Need to add a slow-n-sear.

Comment

Most grilling goes to the Weber gasser with upside down GrillGrates.

Bacon wrapped back straps go on the 22 kettle.

Most smoked stuff goes on Grid Iron Pellet Pooper.

Other smoked stuff like sausage and bacon goes in the Smoke Vault 24.

Comment

Three cookers live in my backyard: a vertical offset stickburner, a charcoal/wood grill with adjustable coal height that’s built into my outdoor kitchen island, and a 36” Blackstone griddle.

The ‘Stone gets the most use, by far. Had it almost two years, and it’s very convenient for a quick meal - breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

My stickburner would be #2. In the last year it’s been seriously neglected due to my insane work schedule, but it’s starting to get more use now that I’m closer to normal hours again.

The charcoal grill used to get top billing - and was responsible for about 3 dinners per week. Since I got the ‘Stone it’s used only for steaks and tri-tip - which will always and forever be better cooked over a wood fire!

That charcoal grill replaced a 22” Weber kettle I’d had for 15-20 years. Lost the lid and dented the kettle transporting it for an event, otherwise I may not have replaced it. Spent good money on this grill - 30” Blaze stainless steel - and building it into my BBQ island when we put in a pool and redid our backyard a few years ago. Less than a year later I got the ‘Stone and the Blaze collects spider webs most of the time.

Comment

I go in waves. Lately I have been doing a lot of cooking on my Kudu but that is the newest so I am still playing around with it.

A few months ago I went through a PK phase and used that a lot for a few weeks.

The last couple months I have done a few big cooks and needed to fire up the Ranch so that has been used a bit more than normal.

But my go-to every day for the past year has been the SNS kettle. I have only used my 22 inch Weber kettle once or twice since I got the SNS last year.

Comment

The most used cooker in our house is me!! Haha

Seriously the little COS win hands down over the ebay 6 burner gasser. Though the occasional gasser rotisserie cook normally comes up well. See how we go once I eventually get the larger offset built

Comment

Right now the KBQ, PK grill, and kamado get about equal use. The PK gets used for most grilling: steaks, burgers, skewered foods, etc. The KBQ rules for chicken, ribs, and smoking the sausage I've been making before vacuum sealing and freezing. I tend to use the kamado for long smokes such as port butt and brisket - don't want to tend the KBQ fire every 30 minutes for 12+ hours.

When I first bought the KBQ and PK grill last spring I probably didn't even fire up the kamado for over 6 months.

Comment

GMG pellet grill gets most of the outside work, but I do break out the Weber 22 for steaks over charcoal. I’ve been on a SVQ kick the last year, and the Weber 22 and the cast iron pan split searing duty with the Searzall. Ordered a Engelbrecht Braten, so I am guessing that will take the top honors soon. Will be interesting to see how the Englebrecht does in sub freezing weather. The pellet grill has a nice heavy winter blanket.

Comment

It was my 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, but I've been using XL BGE a lot lately.

Comment

My Grilla OG gets the most use as it is the easiest to fire up during the week or with little to no prep. Weekends I try to prioritize my PBC. This leaves my sad Weber Performer with SNS as the forgotten child. I do try to bust it out, but for whatever reason I've probably used it 2x this winter/spring while the Grill and PBC get multiple cooks. We also have a blackstone we try to use weekly.

Comment

I use a MAK One Star with my version of a smoke flavor tube. My version of a smoke tube is a small charcoal basket. It is hard to beat for any pit cooking. Very even temperatures across the whole cook chamber. Great smoke flavor too.

I use a Char-Griller Legacy charcoal grill with custom stainless rod grill grates for all my searing and grilling needs.

I've been thinking of selling my KBQ. I hang on to it just in case I need to cook anything on a larger scale than my MAK can handle..

Troutman your equipment list thingy is not working. The major category pull downs do not pull down. I tried it to see what brand of pellet cooker is giving you fan trouble.

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I erased my signature but never re-did it, it was several years old and out of date. I have a rather expensive P&S pellet. It's 3.5 years old, been used a lot and has what I think is a bad fan motor, or fan. I need to dig into it. That's the ultimate problem with pellets, they're mechanical and eventually break and need maintenance/repair.

Looking back at the last year, and adjusting to inclusion of a grill I've only had since January, I would rank my grill use as follows:

1. Camp Chef FTG900 flat top grill - use this for LOTS of hot and fast items, hibachi, fajitas, burgers, steaks, chops, searing, breakfast, etc. Probably 50% of the outdoor cooking.

2. SNS Deluxe Kamado - this has supplanted the Performer Deluxe and is used for most smoking, or anything I want to direct grill over charcoal, and cuts like bone in chicken. Probably 25% of outdoor cooking.

3. Weber Performer Deluxe with SNS Trifecta. This has been supplanted by the #2 SNS Deluxe Kamado. I used it for spillover smoking this past weekend, and will use it for all rotisserie cooks. Probably 15% of the cooking now that #2 is here.

4. Weber Genesis II E-410 with Grillgrates - used for quick hot and fast cooks, and mostly chicken wings over the past 12 months. Probably been fired up a whopping 6 times since last June! Probably 10% of the outdoor cooking.

5. 36" x 24" offset - holds a lot, and doubles as a large charcoal grill. I don't see myself smoking anything on it with #2 and #3 unless I just gotta smoke more butts or ribs that I can fit on #2 and #3 and want to tend the fire every 30 minutes while doing it. Has not been fired up since July 2019 for an engagement party, when it was used as a large charcoal grill with Grillgrates from #4.

I don't include an assortment of outdoor burners and cookers ranging from 60,000 to 104,000 BTU's per burner - those are used for boiling or brewing or deep frying.

If I were to sell anything, right now, it would be #4, and I've tried to give #5 to my son, but he doesn't seem to want it, so it will continue to sit under the cover until I gotta grill or smoke for a really big post-COVID party. 95% of the time I think I could get by with just #1 and 2. But it is nice to have capacity and other grills to go to when needed!
                      Last edited by jfmorris; April 6, 2021, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Kettle/SNS is running about equal with the Chimp right now. I had to put the RV in the shop for routine maintenance, and remembered that the Camp Chef stove was still in the storage compartment, so I pulled it out and it will be back in rotation this weekend. WSM is running last only cause I don’t plan any long smokes before Memorial Day.

I really like Alphonse watchman stove, I believe it will be my next MCS fail.

Comment

• Alphonse
                          Alphonse commented
                          Editing a comment
                          klflowers, yes that Watchman is awesome. It is definitely in my top three and cost waaaay less than the other 2 in that group.

The WSCG gets top billing. After that it depends on what I’m cooking, so the Blue Rhino griddle or Summit gasser would be next. The least used, currently, is the Somerset IV stove...at least as far as main dishes/full meals are concerned.

In reality, the Dyno-Glo at my GFs house gets used almost every time I’m in SoCal as well.

Comment

Really cool hearing all the different collections. Definitely gives me MCS envy. I'm going to begin the sales process on some of mine that are not as used and make room for some new blood.

Keep them coming guys and gals, this is fun !!

Comment

My 22 gets about 70%, WSM 18 about 15% and Jumbo Joe 15%. Don’t use the gassers anymore. Gonna get rid of those and enjoy the extra space, for now at least.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here