Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone try Tobasco wood chips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone try Tobasco wood chips?

I was watching a You-Buh-Tube video about McIhenny Tabasco sauce which was interesting and made me crave a hot sauce fix. They age the pepper mash in oak barrels for three years! As I was reading through the comments, someone mentioned that you can buy Tabasco wood chips from these oak barrels.

https://countrystore.tabasco.com/pro...sco-wood-chips

I assume they won’t really have a different flavor than any other oak barrel chips but, just in case....has anyone tried them?

*edited to spell Tabasco properly (even though it won’t let me fix the main subject line)...🙄
    Last edited by Arsenlael; January 20, 2021, 04:45 PM.

might be worth a try ..... and even if it didn't make any real difference, it would be fun

Comment

I'd give them a go, hey, if Jack Daniels can have wood chips why not others.
      Spice up the old cook

Comment

I would just go buy some oak chips or make your own. I never found that these flavored woods ever make a difference. For a while I was picking up oak staves from a rum manufacturer, I never noticed anything.....other than an awesome oaky flavor.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          And I heard you got splinters in your lips from suckin' on dem staves...

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahahaha, damn, I never thought of that. RonB

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Now you got me pouring Tabasco Chipotle on my pellets.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          That is good stuff

I tried them - it was smoke.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not being a wet blanket on this conversation! When you burn wood you get smoke. Any unique qualities of the wood - like if it was a citrus tree or from a wine barrel or whatnot - gets burned up and you're left with... smoke. Not a citrusy smoke nor a wine-scented smoke or a spicy smoke. I wouldn't pay a premium for such things regularly unless you simply want to experiment here and there. It will be good, just don't expect something out of this world different.

Comment

• MTurney
            MTurney commented
            Editing a comment
            I’d like to do a blind study/survey with flavor profiles of different types of wood. My guess is most of us can’t tell a difference from one smoke to another. They smell different when they’re burning but truth be told I don’t tell a big difference (if any) in the final product. IMO clean smoke is the difference maker, not the type of wood

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            You're right MTurney good fire management with an average wood trumps any fancy wood if you don't know how to maintain a good fire. I've done a lot of side by side wood smoke tests on side by side Weber kettles, and it's FUN! Some woods have a big difference, others not so much. But that's side by side in successive bites. If you think about using 1 wood today and another tomorrow, how likely are you to know the difference a day or more apart? Methinks not too likely. It's fun to try though.

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            You should try sassafrass 🤣

I’d be more inclined to use them to try to flavor a whiskey — likely a rye but maybe a bourbon — than I would try use them in my smoker

Comment

That stuff smells fantastic as it burns, but it's just smoke when it's all said and done.

Comment

i found them a few years ago on a clearance rack for $2. During the cook you could smell a difference but in the end the smoke taste of the food was just like normal oak.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here