Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you store your wood chunks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you store your wood chunks?

Just curious to know how everyone stores their wood chunks and protects their wood from the elements. I keep mine in cheap plastic bins in a storage cabinet out on my patio. Been doing it this way for a while. I recently ordered a bunch of wood from Fruita out in Colorado since a lot folks seem to like them here. Right now I have post oak, apple, peach, and pecan. I also have hickory and cherry from another vendor. I’ve been pretty happy with Fruita wood up until this weekend. I opened my bin with peach wood and discovered almost all of the wood has green mold growing on it. All of my other wood varieties are fine. I’m wondering if these never were dried properly - I should probably check the moisture content.

If the containers are sealed too well you’ll be trapping moisture inside. That will lead to the mold problem.
    I keep mine in my shed in the boxes the wood comes in. The wood may pick up some moisture in the humid months but it also is able to breathe and dry out on dryer days.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
      ColonialDawg commented
      Editing a comment
      I have hickory wood that’s been stored this way for over a year and it’s fine, which is why I am puzzled by this.

• adamjs83
      adamjs83 commented
      Editing a comment
      I keep mine in an enclosed shed in the shipping box, open.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      adamjs83 exactly what I’m saying.

Fruita has told me to store it in a cool, dark and semi moist place. I keep it in my basement in super size plastic bags...opened.

Comment

This is the first half of mine, they are stored in these fabric drawers. The rest is outside in bins or stacked under a tarp. Always in open air, not sealed airtight for best results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1044.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	489024

Comment

I use a plastic bin to hold my smoking woods that are in chunks. Then all of the wood for the KBQ is under a lean-too. Oak, Black Cherry and Zest-Star Apple.

Here is some fresh Oak before stacking.

Name:	IMG_0191.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	489032Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2106.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	489033

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Very impressive

• BourBonQ
        BourBonQ commented
        Editing a comment
        You win!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha, and that is not even half of it! BourBonQ

Yeah, sealed up in a plastic bin is asking for mold, unless it was already seasoned beforehand. I have some well-seasoned mulberry chunks that are in a closed plastic bin right now and they look fine.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
        ColonialDawg commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s what I am wondering. The chunks I ordered were supposedly seasoned. The post oak, apple, pecan, hickory, and cherry are all fine. I never had a problem storing chunks this way until now. I always thought plastic bins weren’t air tight as I would define it, but I guess I should drill some holes in the lids or sides to provide more ventilation. `

What's the shelf like like? I took down 2 fruit trees this year. That would last me years.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
        ColonialDawg commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve had my hickory chunks and cherry chunks for over a year and they still give me great flavor. I have too many wood types which is why it takes me so long to go through it all. Haha.

I store my charcoal and wood chunks that are in bags in a shed. What I have open gets stored in the charcoal bin of the Performer, and I usually have an open bag of wood chunks on the bottom shelf of the Performer, under the grill cover.

I found out the hard way when saving a bunch of oak "mini splits" for the offset in a plastic storage bin that mold could occur in one of those, if it was too tight. I now store that bin in the shed as well, with the top cracked open. Guess I could drill some vent holes in the sides too.

The full size oak and hickory are in a wood pile covered with a tarp, stacked at the end of my house on a concrete pad.

Comment

I keep most in a drawer of an old base cabinet on the porch, but have not had any problems with 5 gallon clean paint buckets with lids. It's fairly arid where we live so that might keep the mold in check.

Comment

I stored my wood chunks in a metal trash can with the lid on.

Comment

I keep mine in the box they came in from Frutia Wood. Not flood proof but good storage.

Name:	IMG_0727.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	489159

Comment

• ribeyeguy
              ribeyeguy commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here. Original cardboard box stored in the garage.

• lonnie mac
              lonnie mac commented
              Editing a comment
              Well keep it dry buddy! This is what a foot and a half of flood water will do. I keep it out back in the shed now!

Cardboard box in the garage.

Comment

I just use chunks with my weber so I don't use a lot at a time. I keep a small variety in a plastic bin using cardboard dividers under my grill table and the rest in the garage in open bags.

Name:	IMG_1426.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	489166

Comment

I store fruit woods in open containers in my garage. I have so many Hickey trees that I collect all the fallen limbs after storms, they just season outside next to my shed.

Comment

Like a lot of guys I have open plastic bins in my garage with dividers, splits on a rack and pellets in closed plastic bins.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here