Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 29, Spring 2023

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 29, Spring 2023

Woo-hoo! We've finally made it to warmer weather & longer days on the horizon

Welcome to the new Show Us What You're Cooking, (SUWYC) Volume 29 - Spring 2023!

Here's a link to the expired Vol 28, Winter 2022/2023: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...nter-2022-2023

​The best way to start a Monday. Ten pound prime brisket on the Traeger.
    Using Big Bad Beef Rub and Amazing Ribs Smoked Brisket Recipe. Added cumin to the rub.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20230320_063208.jpg
Views:	1521
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	1394262 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230319_181111.jpg
Views:	1431
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	1394263 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230320_104018~3.jpg
Views:	1432
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	1394431 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230320_135859_AdobeExpress(1).gif
Views:	1652
Size:	7.67 MB
ID:	1394512 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230320_205655~2.jpg
Views:	1355
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	1394747 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230320_210401~2.jpg
Views:	1335
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1394748 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230320_210705.jpg
Views:	1353
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	1394749
    Last edited by Towering Inferno; March 20, 2023, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Daaaaaaaaanng!! Gorgocity!! 💪💪💪

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      You done good!

• Clawbear57
      Clawbear57 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey you got the bark and the smoke on it that was all you needed from the smoker. Great cook.

Name:	D061D895-B866-434A-9A41-A8DA75361AB0.jpg
Views:	1393
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	1394312 “Mosca, why do you post so many breakfastes?” Man, I only eat twice a day now, and Mrs Mosca has restrictions on tomatoes, onions, and a lot of other stuff but mostly those, so dinner just isn’t usually that interesting. I go to bed thinking up stuff to make for breakfast.

I had some leftover spinach, a quarter of shallot, a nice mushroom, a couple pieces of bacon, and a tomato that needed to get used TODAY, or never. And, I’ve been ignoring these corn tortillas…

(The soft white corn tortillas from Mission are decent. I have a tortilla press, and I’ve used it, and making them is easy, but I can only get masa in a freakin’ five pound bag, and I make them so infrequently now [see: Mrs Mosca can’t eat onions or tomatoes] that it’s a waste. Take a soft corn tortilla, brush it lightly with vegetable oil, and put it on a ripping hot cast iron skillet for about a minute per side. You get a nice fried tortilla that’s halfway between soft and hard, a little crispy but not cracking.)

This is a spinach, mushroom, shallot and cheese omelet, served on corn tortillas with tomato and bacon. Honest to god, this is up there with the best stuff I’ve ever made; it is solidly in the middle of “simple food, made well”. If I were served this in a restaurant, I would order it every single time.

Last edited by Mosca; March 20, 2023, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Finster
      Finster commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh man...I'd tear that up. 😋
      I love taking bits of this and that, and finding a way to make it into something yummy and delicious...
      Well done, sir!!

• Smoke n Beers
      Smoke n Beers commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent use of "What's on hand"! I'm sure it tastes great but it loos yummy too.

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Mosca I feel your pain. Mrs. Bogy also can't eat onions, tomatoes, fiber, excessive sugar, gluten, just to name a few of the things. Breakfast looks great!

Made some simple breakfast tacos yesterday morning that included smoked Hatch Green chiles, jalapenos, red bell peppers, onion, cherry tomato's, dab of guacamole, hickory smoked bacon, cheesy eggs, topped with sriracha and smoked hickory poblano powder. They were tasty. so I powered down five of them.

Name:	PXL_20230312_203040895.jpg
Views:	1417
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	1394299 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230312_210131966.jpg
Views:	1422
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	1394300

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      5? Are we related?

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Yessir!

• Finster
      Finster commented
      Editing a comment
      I take it you like peppers...lol
      Looks delicious

My solution to fitting a whole rack of ribs in my tiny Akorn smoker! Here we have St. Louis Cut dry rubbed ribs. A small skewer to attach the ends together and a can filled with water to provide stability until the meat firms up. I call it Meat Volcano.

Name:	MeatVolcano.jpg
Views:	1421
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	1394333
    Last edited by joepro5013; March 20, 2023, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Smoke n Beers
      Smoke n Beers commented
      Editing a comment
      Now that's being creative! Great job!

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome! I lived in ABQ for 8 years in the 2000s... visited SF and Taos a number of times. Gorgeous country up there!

• Clawbear57
      Clawbear57 commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome to the pit from North Carolina.

looks great and welcome to The Pit from Fort Worth.

Comment

Decided to do something really fast last night: Five-minute (or there abouts) cheesesteaks.

Saute some peppers and onions until slightly charred then add in some shaved beef. Once cooked, top with cheese. My wife like swiss; I like provolone:

Name:	IMG-6920.jpg
Views:	1361
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1394349

Here we are, plated up.

Name:	IMG-6921.jpg
Views:	1334
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1394350

This cooks stupidly fast, especially if your pan is really hot, as it should be. I will say that I wish I had used my griddle as doing this in a pan is somewhat awkward.

For the beef, I'll admit I used Steakums for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised....this stuff is good. I thought it was sirloin, but it renders out a lot of fat, it is must be a fattier (and cheaper) cut.

For something that comes together in less than ten minutes in a single pan....I'll definitely be doing this again.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think steak-umms work just fine in a cheesesteak. They look good enough to eat.

• Finster
        Finster commented
        Editing a comment
        I live in the land of cheesesteaks. No shame in using steakum
        I grew up on those things as a young kid.
        We always had them in the freezer
        It was something I could cook on nights I was left to fend for myself for dinner...

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I've not had Steak-umms since I was in college. My parents kept them in the freezer, and I would tear through them faster than I am sure my folks liked, frying them up in a skillet to make sandwiches. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Fried bologna sammich!

Name:	20230320_125930.jpg
Views:	1347
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1394394 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230320_125943.jpg
Views:	1393
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1394395

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember those sammies with Pac Man-looking bologna, sliced deep so it didn't curl. Nice job. Pure and simple is the best.

Kathryn

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        TheCountofQ nope, mustard goes on a fried bologna sammich, but yes american cheese.

• BourBonQ
        BourBonQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Baloney!

Well, my first cook of Spring 2023 happens to be for someone else! My daughter got a free/cheap 19# frozen Butterball back in November and put it in my freezer, and I finally thawed it and am spinning it for her on the Weber Performer rotisserie as I type this. Fixing to pull it about 4pm and deliver for them to eat off of this week. Me? I'll eat leftover pork chops from yesterdays cook tonight...

I did a poor job of trussing the legs, but haven't worried about it too much. Legs are done and in the upper 170's. As soon as the breast hits 155 (should be in about 10 minutes), I am pulling it, wrapping in foil and driving to their house to sit in a warm oven until dinner time.

Name:	IMG_1188.jpg
Views:	1359
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	1394474

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks texastweeter! The daughter and son-in-law both texted how much they appreciated it, and according to the daughter he spent an hour or more after dinner breaking down the carcass and bagging up all the meat - he's never carved a turkey before, haha. I was gonna break it down for them, but then decided he needed the experience... and that my free prep and smoking/spinning and then delivery service was sufficient.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris, that's the mildest form of tough love I've ever heard. I'm sure the SIL learned a lot, and that he's making some great broth from the carcass.

Nice turkey cook. You're such a good Dad.

Kathryn

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc haha thanks! This particular son in law is a picky guy, and does nothing but burn stuff if he tries to cook, so the idea of him making gravy from a carcass is pretty funny in several ways! This is the same one who ruined his own grandmother's CI and my daughter brought it to me for restoration - saved 1, other is still in my garage.

We made some chili cheese dogs on the kettle for the tree tapping at Syrup Camp this weekend. Man these are good. This was easy to make with all the action going on at camp. When we are boiling the meals are a lot more substantial.

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg
Views:	1358
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1394490

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I mean you gotta be able to pre dip the dog in the chili, then add it to the bun. Then add onions, cheese and more chili on top! texastweeter

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Ever get big jalapenos, cut off ends, thread on dog and grill like that?

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        No, but I feel like that is something I need to do.....100%. texastweeter

KimChi Burgers

Name:	IMG_4888.jpg
Views:	1341
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	1394500

Comment

These chicken breasts were marinated in a Korean-style BBQ sauce, given a quick sear, and moved to the low temp side of the grill to finish. They were then sliced and served with a salad, pickled peppers, and soba noodles. The BBQ sauce recipe is from Steven Reichlin; https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/kb-...arbecue-sauce/
        I made the sauce almost two weeks ago for another recipe, so this meal came together rather quickly.​

Name:	IMG_4491.jpg
Views:	1359
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	1394503

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I have half a quart of the KB sauce left in the back of the fridge from a few weeks ago, and am thinking of using it for some chicken. Maybe as a marinade would be good, since its "aged" for several weeks, haha. It's probably safe, maybe I can boil it to be sure...

• DTro
          DTro commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris Best to use that sauce up before it comes after you😁

Name:	2E34DDDD-C751-49F0-A347-7603102C7C8C.jpg
Views:	1350
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1394523 Click image for larger version

Name:	31DE42A8-325E-44AC-ACAE-C7E72675A877.jpg
Views:	1373
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	1394524 Click image for larger version

Name:	13025108-9DB5-4F6B-AC20-FA4C2784CDF0.jpg
Views:	1345
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	1394525 Click image for larger version

Name:	F85062E1-D6C1-4E1C-8AD0-A7A4209764BE.jpg
Views:	1318
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1394526 Fired up the kettle and did some hot and fast skewers with shrimp, smoked sausage, red onion, and cherry tomatoes. Basted with a sauce of olive oil, sherry wine vinegar, smoked paprika, garlic, thyme, and a little crushed red pepper. Turned out really good. Wifey found the recipe online somewhere.

These delicious kebabs are a Spanish take on surf and turf. Because the skewers aren't on the grill long enough to cook fresh sausages, fully cooked sausages are used here.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice cook. I love the recipe! I discovered it years ago in a then-recent issue of Bon Appetit. It's a family favorite for us. You have inspired me to put it on my Upcoming 22" Kettle Cooks Wish List, hopefully in the near future.

Kathryn

Fired up a stack of oak splits and grilled this salad.

Name:	E11C521D-9E39-4112-B2D1-52A87E4741D7.jpg
Views:	1330
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	1394531

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          One of my favorite salads!

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          Total salad.

Got a point cut corned beef going for Montreal smoked meat. Desalinated overnight and rubbed with a salt free Montreal steak rub

About 1 hour in, My first time using B&B in the SnS, it was running hotter than KBB would at the same vent settings.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8EB0AAC2-05D8-4C29-BE50-F4E487284D21_1_201_a.jpg Views:	19 Size:	5.67 MB ID:	1394535

3.5 hours in, i threw on a smallish ribeye to reverse sear.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2DA91DF6-A57F-43F0-B21E-760D098F0099_1_201_a.jpg Views:	19 Size:	4.68 MB ID:	1394534

Figure another hour or two before I need to figure out wether I'm going to wrap and let it ride or bag it and finish SV.

UPDATE:

5 hours in, we are stalled good 'n hard. It's been at 145 for the last 2 hours even running at 275. The 80% humidity might have something to do with it.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mnavarre; March 20, 2023, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Great looking color on that point!

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          AAAAnnd... for my sins I seem to have hit another stall. Yeesh, weird cook.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here