Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogy
    commented on 's reply
    Dr. Pepper beat me to it. Chicken does indeed look good, but that's the cutest leprechaun I've seen in a long while. Never have a granddaughter that little again, enjoy!

• Bogy
    commented on 's reply
    Dr. Pepper, it started of good, but the dark guanciali lardons really spoiled the whole presentation. Now, if I knew what guanciali lardons were, and what color they are supposed to be, that might actually be true. As it is, I'd still eat it anytime. When's dinner?

• Jfrosty27
    commented on 's reply
    Such a cutie! Priceless photo.
    Oh, and the chicken looks good too.

• Bogy
    commented on 's reply
    That is a delightful looking mess! Just the way I like it!

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    + 1 !

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Looks pretty dang good there Mr. Pibb!?! Dr. Pepper?…whatever the hell your name is. 🤓
    Last edited by Panhead John; March 18, 2022, 02:02 PM.

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    The chicken looks very good, but the leprechaun looks simply luscious!

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    So good, also try eggplant !!!

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    That looks so tasty. And, 'Ain't that America!' We're just a big stir fry from around the world.

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Olive Garden? 🥸

• jfmorris
    replied
    Yesterday I ended up having dinner at my folks house, along with this little leprechaun, who is now literally running everywhere! This was at my house right before heading off to great grandma's house:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7635.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.26 MB ID:	1191191

So what did we have for dinner for literally 4 generations of the Morris clan under one roof on a week night (my parents, wife and myself, daughter and her husband, and the grand daughter)? Chicken! Which my dad brined overnight, and I helped him cook up on his Weber Spirit.

My 79 year old dad checking on the chicken (he let me pronounce when it was done, since I am the acknowledged thermometer freak in the family who has been known to carry my Thermapen to other folks houses):

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8146.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.05 MB ID:	1191193

It was a mix of leg quarters and half chickens, and I split the leg quarters off from the breast quarters for serving:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8149.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	1191192

All in all VERY good chicken, and has me pondering doing a wet brine myself. I forget the ratio, but something like a half cup of kosher salt to 1 gallon water.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_in_TX
    commented on 's reply
    Serious blue cheese is serious!

• Dr. Pepper
    replied
    And, after a dinner like that, for breakfast just a simple double cappuccino with my sister's hamantash.

Link for the un-indoctrinated:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0690.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	401.1 KB ID:	1191137
    Last edited by Dr. Pepper; March 18, 2022, 01:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Pepper
    replied
    Pasta alla Gricia from Sasha Marx, Serious Eats

This recipe is all about emulsification of rendered guanciali fat with starch water. 80% of the cooking of the pasta is done in the pan with rendered fat.

Pointers I've learned from making this a few times:

1. Do not over-salt the pasta water. You end up adding almost all of it to the dish, so it can easily be over salted. And, when you stir in the pecorino romano at the end, that adds sufficient extra salt.

2. I pulled the pasta out of the boiling water at 5 minutes, but what normally would take an additional 8-9 minutes to complete the cooking (these were Calamarata Pasta from Rustichella d'Abruzzo) takes about 20 additional minutes as you continually stir the pasta and add more starchy cooking water until done. The noodles are not submerged, so you stir, stir, stir.

3. On last night's cook, I had the heat up too high under the guanciali lardons. You can see the dark color, vs the SE photos. Still tasty, but.

4. While the recipe doesn't call for parsley, I think it helps counter the intense umami brownness of the dish.

5. Take your lipitor. And, not a dish for frequent rotation, due to the richness.

Accompanied by smoked jalapeño/wild boar sausages from Trout Lake Grocery (WA), fired broccoli with lemon, greek salad.

Note the unctuous emulsified sauce. I neglected to take photos of the raw guanciali.

Finally, credit to Troutman for the progressive close-up technique! 😏

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0679.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	1191130 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0680.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1191131 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0681.jpeg
Views:	230
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	1191132 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1191133 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0683.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1191134 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0684.jpeg
Views:	235
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	1191135

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Started to make some eggs fer a noon breakfast. Well, one thing led to another. I chopped some red pepper & some white onion thinkin, hey, I’ll mix it in with the eggs & do some garlic & ginger & cook it up in the wok, yessir. I did have some book Chou so that will make it official Chinese like, cept I did have some taco meat I had made out of venison & a little beef, throw in some Wisconsin mushrooms and we have a true East meets South West meets North, well, a geographically mixed up delight topped with a sauce my neighbor from India gave me. A tasteful explosion. Click image for larger version

Name:	4C476AE9-DC6D-4E67-B5AE-575645618567.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1191122 Click image for larger version

Name:	A7664FE1-83A3-4C0B-A271-BEAE93651039.jpeg
Views:	250
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1191123 Click image for larger version

Name:	34CED3D4-E06A-401A-A51D-29330B543695.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1191124 Click image for larger version

Name:	D5566BA8-8043-4A43-B6F7-7008CAC9147D.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	1191125 Click image for larger version

Name:	396CB533-09E5-4D23-8A1E-F7DA76DB3A89.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1191126

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here