Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yelm BBq Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yelm BBq Rally

My Son and a couple others are doing amatuer competition next month.
    Second time for us. Didnt do anygood last time as We had no clue.
    Going all 4 categories. http://bbqrally.com/
    Been trying to get bite thru skin on thighs is a bitch.

Been trying to get bite thru skin on thighs is a bitch.
    One solid trick is to lightly salt the skin and then air dry in the fridge for 24 hours

Comment

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      can' do that for competition can not season only trim before check in and meat inspection😎 😎😎

Thanks for the tip.
    At check day before meat has to be in original packaging. We will have coolers and ice so could prep night before.
    Still practicing

Comment

If you get crispy bite through skin please post how you did that.

Comment

• Papa Bob
        Papa Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        crispy skin is tough when smoking, bite through skin can be achieved by taking skin off putting it upside down on cutting board and with a very sharp boning knife or filet knife, something a little flexible and cut fat off the skin. trim chicken to the size and shape you want and put skin back on, if you use toothpicks to hold it on PLEASE count them don't accidently leave one in foreign object not good 😎😎😎

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks

Looks like fun. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by bbqLuv View Post
        If you get crispy bite through skin please post how you did that.
        It looks like most steam the Chicken (skin) so it is soft and bite thru and not dragging skin off chicken. covering up pan with foil last hour.

Comment

Practice run on money muscle...
          Attached Files

Comment

• PNWsmoke
            PNWsmoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Need a sharper knife I think

• PNWsmoke
            PNWsmoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Or left it on a tad too long

• Papa Bob
            Papa Bob commented
            Editing a comment
            what temp did you go to on this money mussel 😎😎😎

245-255 for 5 hours till meat 165 then wrapped , pulled at at195ish. smoker temp was around 280 another 2 hours.
          After reading some say pull at 180 to 190.
          Money muscle was too tender, as rest of butt was great.
          I did two at the same time and the other could not cut just fell apart.

Comment

you can isolate the money muscle but it has to stay attached until cooked, according to KCBS I believe that is 160 or 165 than cut it off wrap it and put in your cooler, that is also like you did wrap cook pork butt until 203 205, put it in cooler to rest. When ready for turn in heat money muscle in some ajus from pork butt drippings glaze it or what ever your going to do and see if that works out a little better for you

Comment

Cooked 7 racks spare ribs on the 4th July for practice.
              Different rub combos and sauces,marked 4with tooth picks but lost track of what We were doing. All were tasty and neighbors very happy. Adult beverage s to blame.

Comment

Big news for me , finally got bite thru skin on chicken thighs.
                Trimmed, little skin scraping,jaccard meat tenderizing and meat glue skin on.
                A lot of work but results good.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So, you trim the skin to be the same size as the thigh, take it off, scrape the fat off it, then glue it back on to cook? Any salting or oil? I seriously doubt that I will ever cook a competition, but I aim for the crazy crispy, potato chip level skin on my thighs anyhow. Love to make sure I understand the process you went with.

This vid explains best.
                I did a lot of what he does. Not much scraping tho

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great, thanks …. Going to see about incorporating this into my teriyaki chicken recipe

I really like crispy skin. My wife says I have chicken addiction.
                I dont think Ill be doing this for backyard cooks.
                Although I also injected with Butcher bbq chicken injection which was a first, it was mighty tender and good.

Comment

And picked up a used PBC for 40 bucks for back up at comp. Not used yet

Comment

We ground out a second for chicken yesterday.
                    it was a long night partying and cooking.
                    Even longer day.
                    Competition life not for me.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	A5F71855-A753-45ED-B8D5-4B20E1613DF8.jpeg
Views:	217
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1066438

Comment

• klflowers
                      klflowers commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Beautiful chicken though. Next time you need to practice let me know; I'll be glad to be one of your testers lol

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here