Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Pit Virtual BBQ Competition Entries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pit Virtual BBQ Competition Entries

Here's the thread for your entries. The rules are in this thread: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...bq-competition

I have no expectation to win, but read about the virtual comp last night and just happen to be grilling. ecowperMr. BonesCaptainMike thanks for putting this on.

There was a Thai restaurant in Marina Del Rey, CA, "Thai BBQ" that served a dish called "Chicken on Fire". It literally was served "on fire". You waited till the flame went out and then poured an apricot glaze over the chicken. It was obvious that the chicken was marinated and grilled. Bits of caramelized and roasted meat topped with a sweet, sticky BBQ sauce was heavenly. I found a recipe in the L.A. Times and it is the closest I ever found to duplicating this dish. The chicken is not served on fire, but the flavor more than makes up for the visual performance.

Marinate chicken pieces in coconut milk, sweet curry, turmeric, salt, sugar, pepper and minced onion, garlic and cilantro overnight. Set up your grill indirect, and cook for about 1 hour or until the meat reaches 160 degrees. While the chicken is roasting, make up the apricot glaze with apricot preserves, peach preserves or orange marmalade, peach or apricot nectar, BBQ sauce and chili garlic sauce to your desired heat level. Bring to a boil and then reduce sauce to a sticky glaze.

Once the chicken is finished roasting, move the chicken over the coals (may have to add more coals) and grill, painting the chicken with the glaze and turning often to keep from burning. Once the chicken is grilled and caramelized to your liking, remove and pour the rest of the apricot glaze over the chicken and serve.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it's a great lookin plate of yardbird, Brother

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great!
      Like to see a pic of that kettle too. Older one with metal handles. What is the code on the lid vent?

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      We tried this recipe and it is a keeper! Thanks for sharing it.

Looks like a winner to me!

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm like a rabbit out of the gate. The big dogs here are going to run me down.

Dipping my toe in... ecowperMr. BonesCaptainMike

Modified a recipe called "Mississippi Pot Roast" from Holly Nelson (wife took it off facebook so who knows)

We used more than the 4lbs of chuck or pot roast reccomened, froze for 30 minutes, rubbed in ranch mix, smoked for 4 hours (for smoke, not done-ness) at 225 with some taters in the cold smoke box.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0593.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.82 MB ID:	839600

Meat went into the instantpot, with a packets worth or ranch powder and brown gravy mix as well as 1/4 cup beef broth and half a jar of pepperoncini's and 1/2 cup of their juice for 1.5 hours. The taters came off the smoker and went into a gallon freezer bag to seal in the smoke and wait their turn for the instanpot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0596.JPG Views:	0 Size:	4.16 MB ID:	839601

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0611.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.95 MB ID:	839602

When the meat was done it went in a pot on the stove and simmered for an hour or so. The taters went in the instantpot for 20 min with 1/2 cup chicken stock. Natural release, then added smoked cheddar, chives, sour cream, milk, salt, garlic, and pepper to taste.

Also smoked some greenbeans in chicken stock while all this was going on, but only allowed so many pics here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0623.JPG Views:	0 Size:	4.54 MB ID:	839603

My preference would be au jus mix over the gravy, but wife likes the gravy best Not sure what's Mississippi about it, but it makes a fine easy meal.

Only one thing to do after all that...

Click image for larger version  Name:	dogsme.jpg Views:	0 Size:	166.4 KB ID:	839599

Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; April 29, 2020, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Man and his best lil buddy ole pals napping.
      Love those husky's....

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      smokin fool the best part about those little turds is that they're full grown. 11 and 13 lbs, still a lot to handle, but easier to contain They're Alaskan Klee Kai but have alot of sibe traits, except the friendliness. They won't welcome strangers into the house

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      If it did that to you then it deserves a standing ovation

Okay peeps, I have to assume all the rest of you are waiting to the last second before you submit an entry .... hoping to be the dark horse

Comment

I am planning on submitting on Saturday. Working hard behind the scenes and planning ahead

Comment

Alright folks, here's my entry. I almost forgot about this competition, and remembered it this morning, and I hadn't decided what to cook. Something I don't cook that often is pork tenderloin. I thought: how can I bring this cut of meat to life? So I went to the store and got me one. I figured it's pork, so it can take a ton of flavor. I decided to add a lot of flavor and make sure it is super moist and succulent. It turned out exactly as planned. Real moist, and loaded with flavor. You could pick out the rub, the cheese, the sauce, the bacon.

Smoked pork tenderloin, stuffed with blue cheese and apple sauce (and wrapped with bacon)

Ingredients - pork
        550 grams / 20 oz pork tenderloin
        140 grams / 5 oz bacon (one package)
        5 tbsp apple sauce
        3 tbsp pork rub (I used Hank's KC Royale Pork Rub)
        60 grams / 2 oz blue cheese

Ingredients - potato gratin
        1 kg / 2.2 lbs potatoes (russet)
        2 small yellow onions or 1 large
        1 tsp salt
        1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
        5 dl / 2 cups double cream
        2 cloves of garlic, crushed
        100 grams / 4 oz roughly grated parmesan important: get the real deal (bonafide Italian parmesan), and grate it yourself. It makes all the difference. Don't cheat here.

Instructions - pork
        1. Trim any silvery membranes off the tenderloin. Place it flat on a cutting board and place one hand on top of it. Use the other hand to cut a pocket that runs the length of the tenderloin, but stop 1 inch from each end.

2. Stuff the pocket with blue cheese and apple sauce.

3. Apply the rub evenly on all sides. Make sure not to spill the stuffing.

4. Wrap the bacon around it and tie it up with butcher's twine.

5. Fire up your grill/smoker and have it running at 130° C / 265° F. Add a few wood chunks for smoking. I used two chunks of oxygen tree that I cut down last year. I've been drying it since.

6. Place the tenderloin gently on the grill, making sure the pocket opening faces up. Smoke it for roughly 1 hour, until internal temp is 62-65° C / 143-150° F. If it needs just a bit more color, move it over the direct heat and sear it for 1 minute per side.

7. Slice it and serve. I served mine with a potato gratin with a top layer of grated parmesan, and some freshly cut chives all over the plate.

Instructions - potato gratin (serves 4)

1. Set the oven to 200° C / 400° F
        2. Peel the potatoes and slice them thin using a mandolin
        3. Peel the onions and cut them in half. Now slice each half making thin slices.
        4. Place the potatoes in a bowl and add the salt and garlic and stir so it is evenly coated.
        5. Start layering the potatoes in a baking dish. Add some cream, onions, then repeat, until you've used up all the potatoes and cream and onion.
        6. Sprinkle the parmesan evenly on the surface and place the baking dish in the oven.
        7. Let it cook for 20-30 minutes. Time depends on how thick the gratin is. Check with a potato stick. The top surface should be a golden brown crust, and the middle should be soft and gooey.

See photos below, of the food, my grill, myself and the serving plate.

Raw ingredients (dog not included)

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoked-pork-tenderloin-1.jpg Views:	6 Size:	255.5 KB ID:	842297

Stuffing in progress

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoked-pork-tenderloin-2.jpg Views:	5 Size:	244.4 KB ID:	842298

Meat on the grill (dirt cheap brand X kettle with the SnS)

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoked-pork-tenderloin-3.jpg Views:	5 Size:	379.5 KB ID:	842299

One pit master, reporting in for duty

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoked-pork-tenderloin-4.jpg Views:	5 Size:	423.4 KB ID:	842300

And here's the plate. Dinner is served :-)

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoked-pork-tenderloin-5.jpg Views:	5 Size:	551.0 KB ID:	842301

Last edited by Henrik; May 6, 2020, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Henrik Thank you for letting me know the dog was not included! With you Europeans we never know for sure

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          I played the puppy pity play card too soon, you've trumped me

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks all! Wow, didn't know the gratin would be of interest, it's a staple in Sweden, we eat it a lot. Either way, I added my recipe, let me know if you try it.

This is fun!

I cooked what was available to me. My normal selection of pork was limited to a small rack of St. Louis style spare ribs purchased from the grocery store during the pandemic.

I kosher salt dry brined them overnight and used a combination of my favorite dry rub, brown sugar, and Simon and Garfunkel rub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribs before cooking-COLLAGE.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	842309
        I smoked the rack on Monday, May 4th for our family supper.

I used the PK360 with one chimney of Weber briquettes and three small chunks of apple wood at a temperature around 275 F. They were spritzed with a 50/50 solution of apple juice and apple cider vinegar at regular intervals. The ribs finished, probe tender, after about 2.5 hours.

Name:	Up close ribs inside.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	842310

My sides represent what's good about being a part of the Pitmaster Club. It's not just about BBQ, but about relating to people through good food.

Our sides consisted of green beans our family canned last summer, my wife's mashed potatoes with garlic and fresh chives from our garden, and my homemade cheese biscuits seasoned with the dry rub used on the ribs.

Name:	chives-COLLAGE.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	842311

On a weeknight, in the midst of a global pandemic, we ate like royalty! I am so grateful to be a part of the Pitmaster Club. I'll sign off with my favorite Mr. Bones quote: "I'm lookin' forward to learnin' along with, and from ya!"

Brian

Name:	Plate.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	842312

Name:	Sponsored By.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	842313

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          10-4 on the cheese biscuit recipe!!!!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, wantin that there Cheese Biscuit Receipt, as well, if ya's be so kind as to share.
          It's hard to beg, when I'm alll a droolin like this, but I will, if need be...

• mrteddyprincess
          mrteddyprincess commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones I'll have to make a video because much like your magic beans, I don't measure. I go by feels and experience.

Wait on it....it's salt brining as we speak

Comment

Well, not sure this qualifies as "BBQ", its more a case of "grillin", but here goes.

I picked up a big pack of bone in pork chops this morning, and decided about 4pm to cook those and some artichokes for dinner. My process was as follows:

4pm - drop the artichokes in a pot of hot water, turn to high
          4:30pm - turn off burner as artichokes had reached a boil
          4:30pm - put 6 pork chops into a zip lock bag, and pour a liberal amount of Dale's Sauce in the bag - the original, not the low sodium
          4:45pm - Light a chimney of charcoal on the Performer Deluxe, using gas assist
          5:00pm - dump the coals onto the charcoal grate, spread around, and put the grates, including a set of Grillgrates, on the kettle, close the lid and open all vents to full
          5:05pm - prep the artichokes that have been cooling, by slicing lengthwise, then scooping the fuzzy stuff out with a teaspoon.
          5:10pm - melt 1 stick butter in the microwave
          5:15pm - pork chops out of the marinade, onto the center of the grates. Season the top lightly with Henrik 's Hank's KC Royale spice mix, to it some more kick. Brush inside of artichokes with butter, sprinkle with seasoned salt, and place flat side down on the grate. Brush outside of artichokes with butter, sprinkle with more seasoned salt.
          5:20pm - flip pork chops, season again with Hank's KC Royale.
          5:25pm - flip pork chops, flip artichokes and brush with butter and salt again
          5:30pm - flip pork chops and start temping them, pulling several at 145-150F
          5:33pm - pull rest of pork chops and artichokes.
          5:38pm - plate food and eat!

Hope the technique is documented well enough for this competition. Photos below.

First, the cooker, and the ingredients. Sadly, I did not think to take a picture of the chops out of the marinade, before they hit the grill:

Name:	IMG_1761.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	842528

Next, we have the COOK - ME - in need of a haircut BADLY!

Name:	IMG_1762.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	842529

Now, the spread on the grill - I filled the kettle up nicely with 6 chops and 4 split artichokes!

Name:	IMG_1763.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	842530

My grilling assistant for this cook, Dakota:

Name:	IMG_1773.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	842531

Finished product, on the handy dandy Performer side table - one reason I love my Performer!

Name:	IMG_1774.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	842532

And finally, a plated VERY simple meal of one meat, one veggie.

Name:	IMG_1776.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	842533

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Gotta admit, that is a solid entry

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Haha thanks Troutman, but its pretty simplistic. Especially the pork chops in Dale's sauce, which I've been doing for 30 years - mostly because the wife likes it! I did mix them up with a little of Henrik's pork rub, but that's about it.

Lately she is so focused on my daughter's wedding, 9 days from now, that food is not on her mind, so I've been most all the cooking and grocery shopping the past week or two. She is just grateful to eat it and not think about making it I think...
            Last edited by jfmorris; May 7, 2020, 12:42 PM.

• crazytown3
            crazytown3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Those pork chops are looking great. Love the artichoke cook too.

Burger Bowls

Made burger patties and then shaped into little bowls. Started by shaping one on the back of a muffin pan but found it easier to just form them by hand. Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder and onto the GMG DB at 350.

When they hit an internal temp around 130, I opened the grill and filled each bowl with some garlic and chive mashed potatoes that I made earlier. Added peas & carrots to two, Cowboy Candy to two, then topped all eight with sharp cheddar. I heated the mashed potatoes and peas & carrots a bit before adding them to ensure they would be hot by the time the meat finished.

Pulled when the meat was cooked through and served with some extra mashed potatoes and peas & carrots.

Main ingredients

Name:	PreCook.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	843212

On the Daniel Boone

Name:	MeatOnTheGrill.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	843214

Filling added (pre-cheese)

Name:	Stuffed.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	843213

Ready to go

Name:	Finished.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	843211

Time to eat

Name:	Cut.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	843210

ecowper
          CaptainMike
          Mr. Bones

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool indeed! I've seen a few on YT do this, make a patty, then make th indentation with a beer bottle, or can, or summat simular. Reckon that might be a lil less labour intensive, if ya wanna look em up...iirc, they's mostly called Beer Can Burgers, also iirc, reckon I watched th BBQ Pit Boys vidya on How To.
            Haven't tried it yet, so this might jus be th motivation I need...

Nice Job, them look Great, btw! Whole lotsa my favourite thangs incorporated, there! Definite Happy Meal, in My World

• jumbo7676
            jumbo7676 commented
            Editing a comment
            I got the idea after seeing Steven Raichlen's breakfast burger a while back. I believe he used a beer can to shape them.

For some reason, my 2 1/2-year-old son refuses to try mashed potatoes. I thought this would be a good way to sneak some in while hidden and have him realize he likes them. He saw right through that. I had to scrape out the potatoes (more for me) and he ate a plain, oddly shaped burger for dinner.

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            I love that idea with the stuffing!

New Mexican Rouladen

Took a pork loin roast and opened it up to stuff with a mixture of cooked down yellow onion, garlic, New Mexico green chile and Monterey Jack cheese. Stuffed, rolled, tied up and then topped with the leftover green chile mixture and onto the Kettle at 300*. Cooked to 135*, sliced and served on bed of rice seasoned with salt, pepper and ancho chile powder.

This was an excellent combo, just not exactly how I pictured it turning out. I didn’t quite get the ‘pinwheel’ look I was hoping for, as I had to much mixture, but flavor profile was spot on! Can’t beat pork and green chile! Next time, I’ll read up on getting the technique down for pinwheel style stuffed pork loin.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E141A383-40A3-40C1-BE8E-C28BE75CE274.jpeg Views:	27 Size:	3.75 MB ID:	843313
          The goods......

Click image for larger version  Name:	4ED44EA4-F311-4F8C-9530-FFAF70C3A00A.jpeg Views:	29 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	843317

The goodness......chile makes everything better!

Click image for larger version  Name:	9AB6B4A4-FA1D-4C09-B291-7D1B70D1E3E8.jpeg Views:	28 Size:	2.99 MB ID:	843314

over stuffed pork loin ready to roll!

Click image for larger version  Name:	1EEA86A1-53EC-4C33-A400-A095F32EEEBA.jpeg Views:	29 Size:	2.37 MB ID:	843312

the cook and the cooker.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	BB3889D8-8C0D-4C35-B6BE-159FB366BA20.jpeg Views:	28 Size:	3.97 MB ID:	843315

lets get this party started!

Name:	7938FC61-9B33-404C-A898-C564CA13B283.jpeg
Views:	379
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	843625

and time to eat!

Thanks for setting this up ecowper!
          Last edited by barelfly; May 9, 2020, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Fun dish ... I love stuff pork loin, but had never done it southwestern style

• crazytown3
            crazytown3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Boy does that look good. Really nice job on that.

Mr. Bones ecowper CaptainMike

Charrasco Mixed Grill

Ingredients

1-Pork Tenderloin
          3 - Boneless Chicken Breasts
          8 ounces chorizo sausages

Marinade

1/2 cup chopped italian parsley leaves
          1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
          1/4 cup orange juice
          1 tablespoon lime juice
          1 tablespoon minced garlic
          2 teaspoons of kosher salt
          1 teaspoon pepper

Beans

2-15 oz cans of black beans - rinsed
          2 cups grape tomatoes cut in half
          1 cup diced white onion
          1/2 cup chopped italian parsley
          2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
          1 tablespoon of lime joice
          2 teaspoons of minced garlic
          1/2 teaspoon paprika
          1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

I mix the bean ingredients together and let them sit at room temp for 45 minutes.

The chicken and pork loin are placed in marinate in separate containers, covered and in the fridge for at least an hour.

Cooked on the SNS over indirect heat at roughly 350 to 400. I used B&B lump for this cook with just a touch of pecan. I used the extended rack and cooked the sausage over the chicken and the pork so any drippings can fall on the other meat. Right before the end of the cook, I seared the meat to gain some more texture and flavor and brought to temp.

This is a relatively short cook. The mixture of flavors of the 3 meats along with the zesty bean salad is a great blend. Typically the meat is the star of the show. Here with three distinct meats, the focal point was the salad the meats were able to compliment.

Hope you enjoy!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by DavidNorcross; May 9, 2020, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Love it all together like that

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Great Lookin foods, Brother!
            Smart Man, includin some beans...keeps ya in contention, on my screen lol!

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, this cook looks superb! Nice one!!

Smoked Spaghetti Squash with Chicken and Peppers

Ingredients and Prep

Squash

1 medium spaghetti squash cut in half lengthwise, with seeds scraped out. Spray lightly with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper.

Chicken

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (approximately one and a half breasts, cut lengthwise to 2-3 inch width). Dry brine 5 hours with your favorite rub. I used Pepper Palace Five Pepper Rib Rub.

Sauce

1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
          2 cups unsalted chicken broth, divided
          1/4 cup red wine
          10 small sweet peppers
          1 large jalapeno
          1 Vidalia onion, ends and skin removed, cut in half horizontally
          2 ribs celery, leaves removed and reserved
          2-3 cloves garlic, still attached to bulb
          1 teaspoon Kosher salt
          1/2 teaspoon oregano

Fresh ground pepper to taste
          1/4 cup total freshly grated Parmagiano Reggiano and Pecorino Romano cheeses in equal amounts
          Chopped reserved celery leaves

Cooker and Setup

Original Kamado #9, direct cook with Cowboy natural lump
          3 fist-sized chunks pecan wood
          Cyber Q Cloud controller, set to 400F for pit and 160F for chicken

Method

Put squash halves on cooker, skin up. Cook for 25 minutes.

Add chicken, peppers, celery, onion and garlic, leaving squash in place. Cook additional 20 minutes.

Remove vegetables, leaving only chicken.

Remove chicken at 160F internal, approximately 10 minutes longer.

Wrap chicken in at least two layers of aluminum foil and place in cooler while preparing sauce, but allow squash to cool uncovered. Mix tomatoes with approximately 1/2 cup chicken broth, red wine, salt, pepper and oregano. Bring to simmer while chopping onion, jalapeno, celery and peeled garlic. Add to pan. Keep adding chicken broth as needed to maintain fairly thin consistency of sauce while cooking tomatoes down. Chop sweet peppers and add after 10 minutes or so of simmering. Chop and add reserved celery leaves. Simmer additional 10 minutes and thicken sauce by stirring in grated cheese. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Cover sauce and allow to simmer over very low heat while using a fork to shred "spaghetti" from inside of squash. Total simmer time for sauce should be at least a half hour. Unwrap chicken carefully, pouring juices into sauce. Slice chicken into medallions.

Plate mound of spaghetti, top with sauce and medallions of chicken. Served tonight with Kendall Jackson chardonnay.

Photos

Most ingredients assembled and ready to go:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1059(Edited).jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.36 MB ID:	843737

Yours truly removing the veggies:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1065(1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.74 MB ID:	843738

Nice char on veggies:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1076(1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.46 MB ID:	843739

The finished plate:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1084(1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	843740

Happy Mothers Day Eve, everyone!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1078(1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.71 MB ID:	843741

Tagging our esteemed judges, ecowper, Mr. Bones and CaptainMike and thanking you for your work.

Thanks especially to ecowper for dreaming up and organizing the virtual cookoff. I had a blast.
          Last edited by Jim White; May 9, 2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful foods, made me tummy rumble!!
            Yeah, really, All Credit goes directly to ecowper ; I'm rather embarrassed to be praised fer things I ain't done.
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 9, 2020, 07:06 PM.

• mrteddyprincess
            mrteddyprincess commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks incredible, Jim! Way to go!

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Gorgeous dish, love the cooker too !!!!

Mr. Bones ecowper CaptainMike

A friend of mine recently passed away at age 36. He was at my house sharing what was now I understand to be one of his last meals 2 weeks prior to his passing. Well, after he passed, my wife went to hang out with his wife. Towards the end, my buddy’s wife donated to me his last few beers from his fridge. I gladly accepted.

To honor him, I made (aptly named) last meal ribs and drank his beer. It was a special and meaningful cook. I shared it with my 4 year old who was very interested in the process and tried some ribs for the first time. He’s hooked!

Used Meathead’s Memphis dust. Cooked for 5 hours uncovered at 250 in the offset using seasoned oak wood. Spritzed about every 45 minutes with water and ACV. Cooked until tender!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by scottranda; May 10, 2020, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Heartbreaking to lose a friend so young. It sounds like he was well loved by good people.

• Ground Chuck
            Ground Chuck commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry to hear about your friend, man.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here