Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Pit Virtual BBQ Competition Entries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Silk Purse on a Sow’s Ear – The Pork Crown Roast

Since it was Mother’s Day, I thought it fitting to cook something special for my wife and could not think of anything more elegant than a pork crown roast. Taking a nice pork bone-in loin roast and turning it into a crown gives it an added flair and impressive presentation.

Ingredients

Roast

8-10 pound, 8-10 bone pork loin
    1 teaspoon chopped sage
    1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
    1 teaspoon cilantro or parsley
    3-4 tablespoons of Avocado oil
    1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
    3 tablespoons of Killer Hogs pork seasoning
    1/2 cup Charred Peach Bourbon Glaze (commercially prepared)

Stuffing

¾ cup chopped onion
    ½ cup chopped celery
    ½ pound ground Italian sausage
    1 peeled and chopped Granny Smith apple
    1 cup fresh bread crumbs
    ½ cup chopped fresh pecans
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons chicken stock
    1 teaspoon chopped sage
    1 teaspoon chopped cilantro or parsley
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons ground black pepper

Puree

1 peeled and chopped Granny Smith apple
    ¼ cup water
    1 tablespoon butter
    2 teaspoons light brown sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

Directions

Most grocery stores sell bone in pork loins that have the bones Frenched out. You can save a lot of money with some minimal knife skills and prep the roast yourself, which is what I did in my case. I began by salt brining a nice Berkshire loin roast from a local butcher over night. Next cut out the meat between the top 2” of bone and clean up the excess material and fat. Score the meat between the bones within the loin section below the ribs to allow it to be circled back around itself. This also allows more meat exposure for additional bark formation during the cook.

Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 09.jpg Views:	0 Size:	949.6 KB ID:	843994Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	955.2 KB ID:	843993Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	646.6 KB ID:	843992

Once prepped tie the ends together to form the crown. Finely chop the herbs, place them in a small bowl, and mixed in the oil to make an herb slurry. Apply the slurry over the entire roast followed by the pepper and pork seasoning. Wrap the tips of the exposed bones with aluminum foil to protect against burning.

Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 12.jpg Views:	0 Size:	809.1 KB ID:	843995

Building a charcoal fire with a chunk or two of apple wood, smoke the crown with indirect heat at a temperature 250-275* F. Smoke until the internal temperature reaches 135* F. Remove the roast and glaze with the Peach Bourbon sauce and return to the smoker until the internal temperature reaches 140* F. Remove the roast, place in a warm oven tented with foil and rest for at least ½ hour.

Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	7.95 MB ID:	843997

Stuffing

While the roast has started cooking, in a cast iron pan melt the butter and saute the onion and celery until soft. Add the sausage and continue to cook until the sausage begins to turn gray. Add the apples, pecans, sage, cilantro, salt and pepper. Stir the mixture and let simmer for about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the breadcrumbs stirring until all ingredients are combined. The mixture should be soft but holding together. If too dry, add some of the chicken stock to moisten.

During the final 30 minutes of the roast cook, place the pan into the cooker and allow stuffing to obtain a light, smoky finish. Add the stuffing to the top of the crown for presentation and serve the rest on the side.

Puree

Combine all ingredients into a blender and blend smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and cook on medium heat, stirring until combined and slightly thickened. Pour into a gravy server to use as a sauce for the roasted chops.

Top the roast with the stuffing and add garnish to give it an elegant touch and ready for service.

Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.70 MB ID:	843998Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	8.42 MB ID:	843999

Serve the roast at the table to impress your guests and family along with all your sides. Carve into individual chops. Bon appetite!

Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 06.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.28 MB ID:	843996Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 07.jpg Views:	0 Size:	7.52 MB ID:	844000Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 08.jpg Views:	0 Size:	7.60 MB ID:	844002

Meals such as this make for a memorable Mother’s Day. Don’t forget to give all the mothers in your life a lot of love this day.

Troutman is outta here....Peace out friends !!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	me in PV 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	422.3 KB ID:	844003

Mr. Bones ecowper @CaptainMike

Last edited by Troutman; May 10, 2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
      DavidNorcross commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice work indeed, sir.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Amazing cook! Beautiful! I think we have a winner!

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice! I appreciate all of the hard work you did in detailing how to do this. Saved it. I'll have to give it a try some day.

WOW, what a great group of people!!!! There are no losers in this game, just wonderful cooks whose food and companionship I would indulge anytime. I hope this keeps going for a bit, I'd enjoy playing. Thank you everyone for contributing, this has been fun. Now the really hard part.....

Comment

Mr. Bones ecowper CaptainMike

Steaks Ribeye Prime
      ​​​​​​​​​​​​
      Dry brine over night
      Cooked on gas grill 6 minutes per side
      Add pepper good to go

Crab

​​​Louisiana seasoning
      Boil for about 8 minutes

Brussel sprouts

Olive oil
      Salt
      Pepper
      Cooked in oven for about 15 minutes per side
      Attached Files

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Love to get some crab. Your little weber gasser has seen a lot of action. Great job.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        If there was a category for "I can use my entry to sword fight someone" you definitely won :-D ..... Love the color contrast going on there with the crab legs, steak and Brussels sprouts.

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice! The crab legs make that steak look like it is just 2 oz. 🤗

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here