Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Pit's First Ever Virtual BBQ Competition

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, we have had some amazing food cooked and shared in this "competition" ..... the judges (me, Mr. BonesCaptainMike ) are scoring right now and I figure we will have it all added up and stuff tomorrow. Tagging all the competitors to keep them informed

Troutman Stros1845 TripleB ItsAllGoneToTheDogs Henrik mrteddyprincess jfmorris jumbo7676 barelfly DavidNorcross Jim White scottranda,
    Last edited by ecowper; May 11, 2020, 10:57 AM.

Comment

This was fun, I enjoyed getting to see the photos of everyone and their cookers with the goods the most!

Thanks to ecowper Mr. Bones and CaptainMike for being so kind to judge!

Comment

So much fun. Thank you for putting this together!

Comment

Sorry that this took so long, but two of the three judges have day jobs :-) .... Reminder, the judges are me, CaptainMike, and Mr. Bones.

The top 3 win prizes! Here's a list of all competitors, with individual judge scores, total, ranking, and comments and feedback from the judges.

This was a load of fun for us and I can tell you that each of the judges has already been cooking some of the dishes we learned about in this competition, with more to come. We certainly hope you had as much fun as we did.
          Rank Competitor Entrée Judge 1 Judge 2 Judge 3 Total Comments
          1 @Troutman Pork Crown Roast 99 93 92 95 Great pics, method is well explained, pictures are excellent
          2 @Henrik Stuffed Tenderloin 95 90 95 93 very imaginative, creative, great pics, great sides.
          3 @DavidNorcross Charrasco Mixed Grill 95 87 91 91 Creativity killed it here, plating of the food is impressive
          4 @Jim White Smoked Spaghetti Squash 95 85 87 89 Nicely plated, very creative, the judges want to make this themselves
          5 @Jfmorris Chops and Chokes 85 85 83 84 Great looking chops, love the creativity on the artichokes
          6 @Stros1845 Steak and Crab 80 88 83 84 Great looking food, the pics maybe didn't do it justice, we love the crab for the surf
          7 @Jumbo7676 Burger Bowls 70 85 82 79 Very cool idea, side potatoes are great
          8 @Mrteddyprincess STL Ribs 75 75 84 78 Somewhat predictable, but well done. Extra points for Cheese Biscuits!
          9 @ItsAllGoneToTheDogs Mississippi Pot Roast 70 75 85 77 superb lookin foods, with great sides that make me drool. Great pics, as well.
          10 @Barelfly New Mexican Rouladen 70 80 80 77 The creativity on this was awesome
          11 @Scottranda Last Meal Ribs 70 85 75 77 Ribs look great and what a touching story
          12 @TripleB Chicken on Fire 65 80 85 77 Excellent dish, very imaginative/creative, superb pics and plating, but no sides.

Special mention goes to TripleB who bravely went first with a dish I've now tried and think is great. My wife loved it, too. Some sides and you would have ranked much higher :-)

For each of the winners, please send me your mailing address privately and Max Good and I will get your prizes out to you.

tagging Troutman Henrik DavidNorcross Jim White jfmorris Stros1845 jumbo7676 mrteddyprincess @ItAllGoneToTheDogs barelfly scottranda TripleB
          Last edited by ecowper; May 19, 2020, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Jim White
            Jim White commented
            Editing a comment
            Congrats to the winners! What a fun time this was. And thank you again to the judges.

• DavidNorcross
            DavidNorcross commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you! It was surely a pleasure and an honor. Greatly appreciated!

• TripleB
            TripleB commented
            Editing a comment
            Congrats to the winners, thank you ecower for putting this on and to the judges for sacrificing participating so that we could play.

Very cool, a lot of fun! My hat off to all participants and especially Troutman! You da man! What a worthy winner!

Comment

That was a lot of fun, and a fair amount of work. Gotta admit it was a labor of love. Thanks guys, really well done, I love the scoring system. Interesting to see how each judge scored each dish. Too bad there wasn't a tasting component !!

Special shout out to Henrik and DavidNorcross , you two are indeed a couple of fine backyard cooks !!! The rest of the field was mighty impressive indeed, what a great site to ply your wears. Lastly, and although he scored the lowest, TripleB chicken was amazing. That one goes on my short list for sure.

​​​​​​​Great job to the judges and cooks !! Next time more, and I hope a lot more, of the same !!!

Comment

• DavidNorcross
              DavidNorcross commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Sir

This was a lot of fun, but man is it ever tough to judge people you consider friends. Just laying it out there like you all did makes you winners in my book. A big thank you to all of the participants, my fellow judge Mr. Bones, and especially ecowper for coming up with this and seeing it through. Very nicely done everyone!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed, it was VERY tough to jedge this!!!!
              First words outta my mouth, via PM, when Eric asked me to be a Jedge...

Yes, thank you judges and congrats to the winners!

Comment

One more thing I wanted to do was post a picture from each winning entry with a comment about it.

First up .... Troutman and his pork roast. My thoughts this is visually impressive BBQ AND it looks like something I want to sit down and eat more than one serving. I got hungry looking at this.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	C2F2A0F2-C598-45A9-90B6-21B45AF79949.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	848666

Second ... Henrik and his stuffed tenderloin. I make a stuffed pork loin, but I think Henrik went to a whole new level with this tenderloin. THe addition of the Potatoes Gratin really complimented this. Sides were definitely important since I couldn’t take a taste from a turn-in box.

Name:	72369CFF-3922-4692-A21F-45EC57039815.jpeg
Views:	368
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	848664

Third ... DavidNorcross and his Charrasco Mixed Grill. I LOVE a great bean salad, so that was pretty cool right away. But then we did multiple meats, all beautifully grilled and looking wonderful on top of that bean salad.

Name:	61AD4B13-B06F-4091-8376-37D6513E7DA3.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	848665

Comment

This is sooooo cool!

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We had a lot of fun!

Not to over work the topic, but wanted to again thank ecowper, CaptainMike, Mr. Bones and Max Good for not only hosting this first in what I hope are a series of competitions but also for their generous prizes. Wanted you guys to know these will, and already are, being put to use. I use Killer Hogs regularly and yes Max got to try some of your sauce on some pork chops, good stuff !! Thanks again guys for the great idea and the hosting of this event !!

Name:	Award.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	853631

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It was a ton of fun. Glad you are enjoying the prize

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  CaptainMike I've already recused myself from near future contests and did volunteer to judge subsequent events so I'm standing ready. Love to see even more participants, I think folks feel intimidated. Step up to the plate and swing for the fences I say !!!

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  BTW, the UPS man just now delivered yet another Killer Hogs rub. That makes 3 of each !!!! It's like BBQ Christmas every day !!

Congrats and good to know you're enjoying our Black Swan BBQ Sauce!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here