Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SnS kettle + controllable fan: overkill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnS kettle + controllable fan: overkill?

Hi folks,

I'm in the market for an additional set of T probes now that I have three cookers, and one of the options I'm considering is the Fireboard 2 Drive model, which comes with the controllable fan that can be mounted on the conveniently pre-made "Smoke Hole" on the kettle. The base unit can also control the Drive fan but needs a $79 cable to do so, whereas the Drive unit has it integrated and is only $60 more than the base, plus another $59 for the fan itself. So if I'm ever to use such a thing, it makes a lot of sense to spring for it now.

I'm only three cooks in on this new rig, but already it is showing that it is really stable, at least at the temps I've been running thus far (225 to 250F/107 to 121C). This stability is a hallmark of everything I've read about 'em too, both in online reviews and from folks here using them in the real world.

Do these things really need a controllable fan? Yes, I know, "need" is completely subjective. I just don't want to waste $ and storage space on something I may never even use. As always, advice and sage counsel most welcome - thanks!

I do not have a SNS have been thinking of one since your venture. Just thinking here if the temps running steady why fix it? On the other hand would it look much more cool and cook smoother with air movement ? Oh hell just drop the bucks lets get this thing complete!

Comment

IMO, no you do not need a fan controller with the SNS kettle. When combined with the SnS insert, it should hold pretty steady temps for long cooks. From what I’ve seen from you so far, you seem to be pretty hands on with your cooks anyway. Small temp swings shouldn’t be a concern for most cooks. Remember, when you cook in your oven, temps are not stable either. 40*-50* temp swings are not uncommon.

As stable as the SNS has been for me, I wouldn’t even consider it.

Comment

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        This is exactly what's behind my question...

I have everything to add that capability to my Jumbo Joe, the only time I can think of it being useful is to heat the slow and sear up when I’m reverse searing steaks. It would be handy, but so far not enough for me to get everything together to make it happen.

For a smoker the fan is a game changer.

Comment

I really like using charcoal baskets with the rotisserie. You can move them closer or farther from the meat as necessary to get the color or bark you want. The ones I bought when the Weber baskets died are no longer available, but ya might find something similar.

Edit to add that you don't really need a controller, but it's very nice to be able to monitor temps from your phone. I only use mine on low and slow cooks now 'cause I have confidence that I can maintain temps close enough without the fan. I do use something to monitor product temps though.
        Last edited by RonB; September 27, 2022, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          Monitoring remotely is an absolute must for me, whether I'm controlling a fan or not. Hard requirement.

I run a FB/Pit Viper fan on both kettles and my E6 Kamado for just about every cook. I just love the piece of mind (Maiden reference) of not having to tend to it or have to be home in case something goes out of whack. Especially on the weekends for long cooks. I also love to add notes and pics when doing something new so I can repeat or modify what I did depending on the results. I can also use those saved sessions when planning a cook that requires a preferred done time.

Comment

There are 2 situations where I can see a controllable fan being useful.

One is if you want to maintain really low temps for a long time, e.g. 200F or something. I don't have an SNS but do have a 22" weber and while it's easy to maintain mid-high 200s, very low temps for a long time are harder.

The other would be if the weather was changing a lot or the kettle was getting gusts of wind that could affect the ambient temp or airflow.

Comment

I have the Thermoworks Billows that I picked up last year. I’ve only used it handful of times on the WSM. I know I could use it on the SNS too. The only times I used it was in the winter on long cooks and/or windy days. I find that on warm days and night I don’t need it. Though I haven’t done an overnight cook on my WSM in a while. Haven’t don’t one on any cookers in a while for that matter.

Comment

Something tells me that even if you never get a fan you’d still appreciate and utilize all of the data and graphs you get from the Fireboard.

Comment

• DaveD
                DaveD commented
                Editing a comment
                No question about that, it's a huge selling point. They don't call me "Data-Driven Dave" for nothin!

Have a controller with SnS, 22 in kettle. Love it especially for the overnight cooks. Set it, forget it sleep.

Comment

• Rattlesnake
                Rattlesnake commented
                Editing a comment
                What type of controller do you have? I just got the ThermoWorks Signals but haven’t used it yet.

• Condor Flyer
                Condor Flyer commented
                Editing a comment
                I am using an Auber PID controller

I run my BBQ Guru on every long cook on my Kamado and plan to use it on my new LSG Adjustable. The convenience of being able to monitor a cook when away from the house running errands and even make an adjustment on conditions from afar is really nice. I rarely have to make remote changes, but it adds reassurance to know I can.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah - I use my old BBQ Guru PartyQ and my Smoke+Gateway, and the only part I am missing is the ability to change the temp remotely. That would have saved me a trip home to push some buttons during a cook a few weeks ago. I see something with actually remote tweaking of temp in my future.

DaveD you are in the WRONG place if you think folks here will tell you buying more stuff is overkill!

I have an old fan controller called the PartyQ from BBQGuru.com, and while I can and do cook without it on my kettle or kamado, where I find it useful is if I want to run at low and slow temps, but not worry about it dropping below 200 and waking me up on an overnight cook. Or better yet, for getting the temp pushed from 225 to 300 late in a cook, just by changing a digital setting and letting the fan stoke the fire.

I tend to pull out the fan controller on long cooks like butts and brisket, and not short cooks like ribs. And I don't use it at all on hot/fast cooks.

Way I see it - if you know you need a 6 input thermometer, even if you opt not to buy the fan right away, I would get the unit with the drive capability built in, so that you are "fan ready".

Comment

Yes Jim, good point, and I did grit my teeth a little when I posted for that very reason!

And I'm glad I asked, I had the misconception that the Drive model came with the blower as well as the "integration" piece, not that the fan was sold separately. My bad, had I understood that I probably would not have even asked the question, because your final line is the answer: be future-proof when given the choice. So that's what I'm gonna do.

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated as always.

Comment

I love having the ability to use a fan on my kettles. I say go for it.

Comment

I have a fan for mine.
                    See my review here:
                    Inkbird Pro
                    Short version- I love it! Don't use it for short cooks (tri tip) but for pork butts and bacon, it's set and forget.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here