Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charcoal grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charcoal grill

Been looking for a quality compact table top charcoal grill to complement a BGE and Yoder for doing a quick steak over a hot wood fire using a minimum of wood. Am tempted by a PK, but then tried this old $59 Weber Go Anywhere grill I pulled out from storage. Some similarities in shape and size, but certainly can't measure up. Yet the results were quite good. What am I missing?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BBQPhil; April 17, 2020, 08:12 PM.

You are probably missing durability, heat retention and air flow control compared to a PK. Nothing wrong with the little Weber, I’ve had a couple of grills like that over the years for camping.

Comment

I was using a Weber Smokey Joe to complement my BGE. It worked pretty well.

When I got the Weber 22” Performer, I stopped using the Joe. Weber 22” with S&S or some such to keep the coals to one side does the same thing as the Joe.

The more I think about it, the more impressed I am by the versatility of the Weber kettle. Add enough stuff to it and it will do just about anything.

Comment

If I could only gave one grill, and I could only afford a little bit for the one grill, I would have a Weber 22” with an SnS. It is not that big, easy to get going, not expensive, and 90% of the capability of something really high end like the Hasty-Bake.

Comment

You may just have a mild case of MCS. I find it is generally driven by wanting something better, easier or to try cooking on a different cooker. I can resist the latter driver easier than the first two.

Comment

For a compact table top charcoal grill, that little weber looks pretty good. A PKGO though is bigger and overall a better piece of equipment. I'm a big PK fan and think their products, though more expensive, beat weber hands down (IMHO).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here