Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PK Grill JACKED up their prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m getting old, I’ve raised a family, helped put kids through college, I’ve budgeted my whole life and saved my pennies. If I want to buy an over priced grill that I don’t really need and it makes me happy……then what do I care what it costs?

Comment

• au4stree
      au4stree commented
      Editing a comment
      This. The New "Original" has some nice innovations. Worth a consideration if a new grill is in your future.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      au4stree I hear ya brother and I have looked at it. I like the vents, thermometer and wire port. But I put a thermometer in my Original and drilled a probe port (in the PK360 too). I also bought the tailgate stand when it was available. Will do a tailgate this year (7 miles from the Rose Bowl - go Bruins). I own an offset, but bought a KBQ a month ago. Gettin old so let's have some fun!!

• au4stree
      au4stree commented
      Editing a comment
      TripleB, any chance you could post a pic of the probe port in your 360? ...... I might have to do it for my 360 too.

I suppose since I seem to use SUWYC as another way to SUWYD, and that usually means I am enjoying a nice cold beer in a aluminum can. I feel PK should give me a big discount as I an a big recycler.

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, what does SUWYC and SUWYD mean? It is not listed in Huskee "Acronyms & Abbreviations Commonly Found In Posts" post (What am I paying for??).

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      TripleB Show Us What You're Cooking (or Drinking) topics.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you Huskee

@nate373 What percentage increase do these prices represent? I don't know their old pricing. Do their rate increases seem out of line with rate increases we've seen with almost every other consumer product?

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      It was $100 on the PK360 which was $799 previously so 12.5%.

Yep, cost of everything is going up. Our local grocery store was completely out of ground beef. Sure would be nice for wages to go up accordingly.

Comment

Nothing is static, economies run on action/reaction. If you can get past your taking narrow looks at economic info that only hits your immediate interest and try to force yourself to see a larger picture (if you can't you're normal_) then you'll realize that these businesses are working to stay even if that. For instance, if you're shopping for meat, you will recognize inflation (generally far higher than the government published numbers which are manipulated to ease fears), but you don't see it in other parts of the market. Housing prices rising dramatically don't mean much to you if you're not actively shopping for new (to you) housing. If you're not shopping for a new car, the inflation in that area likely won't mean much to you. But inflation is everywhere because the actual value (buying power) of the dollar is dropping. Real inflation is way higher than whatever single digit number you're being told is. Our U.S. government has been increasing the money supply (printing new dollars) at a rate of 24% recently................for those who don't have familiarity with that sort of thing........that's HUGE. The market reacts over time, not all at once, so the results of all that spending of money that didn't exist in the past takes time to filter through various markets. This is where those who don't get it start yelling "we don't allow politics..." or something equally uninformed. This isn't politics, it economics.........and economics doesn't care what color jersey you cheer for.

Comment

• au4stree
        au4stree commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. Are you a regular at the Mises Institute? Nice breakdown.

PK is offering 10% off today thru the 19th. Code: WHOOPSY

I am thinking about ordering a PK300 for the camp!

BTW: I think they just reset the price by !0%. Reminds me of Thermapen/Thermoworks - never, ever pay list.
      Last edited by Alphonse; September 17, 2021, 11:29 AM.

Comment

On a similar but different note, I took my family through the McDonald's drive-thru the other day on our way camping and got 12 McDoubles (I have 3 boys with big appetites, plus myself). They are the cheaper version of the double cheeseburger in case you're not familiar. $35 for 12. That's almost $3 each! They used to be $1 a few years ago, then went up to $1.49 or something. Well they've since doubled. Talk about McDouble. I was quite shocked. I coud've taken them to Chick fil A for that.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Dang. I'd hate to see the prices at Sea World.

• Clark
          Clark commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard LOL Sea World and Disney properties probably have to offer financing plans to get families in. We were at Sea World/San Antonio last year and it was Mothers' Day. I just don't see how folks with 4-5 kids do it.

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Clark My parents did it with 3 kids in 1990 and I remember the sticker shock at the McDonald's "Value Meal"

They jacked up thier prices a second time. I have 2 pk grills and I use both a lot but I would never buy the 2 I have or recommend them to anyone after the second price increase. I have the new pkgo portable that I use a lot. It was pricey for what it is at 260.00 when I bought it but now it is going for 400.00 and the old original is now 500.00. I regret not buying the 360 when it was going for 699.99 now that bad boy is going for 1K. They have to permanently raise prices again because of "the pandemic and shipping delays" wink wink nod nod.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah 299 was already pushing it for the PKGO with flip kit, 400 is just insane. I was eyeing a 360 but need to get a gasser first, unless something changes or a good used one pops up, a 360 is now out of the budget.

I am now wondering if their Chinese supply chain is failing them and causing their costs to escalate? Lots of companies are being impacted by that now.

I own a 360 and a 300 and glad to have them. Not sure I would spring for them at the updated pricing.

And the beat goes on . . . .
        Last edited by Alphonse; February 1, 2022, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphonse View Post
          I am now wondering if their Chinese supply chain is failing them and causing their costs to escalate? Lots of companies are being impacted by that now.

I own a 360 and a 300 and glad to have them. Not sure I would spring for them at the updated pricing.

I am not sure but that is a risk you take when you out source your manufacturing to a different country. They could have increased there prices to make up for lost profits do to not enough supply for there customers but the problem with that is most companies won't lower there prices back down once manufacturing catches up. A lot of companies will end up trying to permanently keep products at pandemic prices if they can. I am sure the foundry they use has many different customers. If they can sell 700 PKGOs at 400.00 a pop vs 1000 PKGOs at 260.00 a pop they are going to sell them for 400.00. Only time will tell or they could be setting them selves up to be bought out if they can show high profit margins(just a guess).

Comment

It seems almost everything is skyrocketing in price right now, PK is far from alone. Almost all offsets have jumped substantially. Weber has had multiple price increases and the new products for 2022 seemed to be jacked up even more. PBC raised prices. CampChef too. That’s not even discussing groceries, restaurants, cars, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphonse View Post

Container costs are about 10X what they were in 2019. Steel costs are up. And it wouldn't surprise me that costs once the grill hits our shores are up as well. I DO wonder how much of this is cost based and how much is, um, opportunistic though not so much in PK's case.

Don't worry, as supply chain costs come down I'm sure prices will drop... *cough*.

Comment

Gator Pit of Texas also raised their prices since I put in my initial order back in May 2020. Thankfully I'm locked into the older price. Price of steel has gone up, and general inflation all over.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  Johnson Smokers as well. To your point, no in way in hades I was going to pay Gator Pit prices BEFORE the increase.

• Beefchop
                  Beefchop commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jerod Broussard Understood. You are definitely paying a premium. Gators are built to a level/extent that most people don't want or need. I initially went with a great value-for-money option in an expensive offset (Shirley) but wasn't happy with the design and size after a few years of cooking on it. Gator was really the only mfg. who could offer me what I was looking for, feature-wise. Am I paying too much for what I'm getting? I'll let you know my opinion after my pit arrives. : )

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  You never pay too much for what you want......

If’n ya do a little research, ya ain’t seen nuthin yet. If yer thinkin about buyin anything, now is the time.

Comment

I know there are tariffs on aluminum but the majority of the Old Original PK is still made in the USA and it jumped to 500.00 although you can still find it on Amazon for like 369.00. It's tough being a small company having to rely on others to make your stuff. Those overseas plants usually give priority to there biggest clients and I am pretty sure PK is a small company in the over all priority, just to bad they couldn't have located a foundry state side to do the work for them. The excuse companies used to give for shifting manufacturing overseas was the cheap labor would lead to keeping cost down which would lead to lower prices for the consumer, not so much anymore.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here