Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about a smoker upgrade....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about a smoker upgrade....

I've had a Weber Smokey Mountain for a number of years now and am considering an upgrade to the Back Woods Chubby for my birthday. I've definitely outgrown my Weber from a size and also consistency of smoke (looking for something that doesn't leak). Have a few questions and would love to hear from any owners or users of the Back Woods Smokers.
    1. Would others recommend the Back Woods Chubby and does it make sense as a next step up from the Weber Smokey Mountain? Or is there something else of an in-between that would be recommended?
    2. Does anyone have experience with either the Chubby or the Chubby G2? Seems like the G2 is a pretty solid upgrade but would be curious what others have experienced. Looking for something that can easily hold 2-4 racks of ribs and 2 pork butts. Also getting more into larger cuts.
    3. I would be keeping my smoker covered, but outdoors...has anyone had any issues with rust/corrosion with the Back Woods Smokers?
    4. I was unclear if the upgrade items like stainless steal doors upgrades are nice to haves or need to haves. Do any owners of the Chubby or Chubby G2 have an opinion on this?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry I don't have a Back Woods Chubby so I cannot help with your questions but I would like to welcome you to the Pit.

Comment

I can't help either, but welcome to The Pit.

Comment

I don't own one. But i have a good friend that has one and he loves it. We use it all the time over at his place. As for leaks, you can kiss those good by. These babies seal up tight. I have never seen his leak. Even in high winds, the temps stay even.

The finish on them is enamel coated, (I believe) From the feel of it, its solid and I wouldn't worry about corrosion, if your keeping it covered when not in use.

My buddy does not have the stainless up grade, so I cant comment on that.

Needless to say, if you get a Chubby, you will be very happy with it. They are great rigs and they seal up tight!

Comment

A hearty welcome from northern Illinois.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome jmoose28

Comment

I'd get the G2 for the upgrades. Especially the room for full size pans.

Comment

Was upgrading from a WSM 18.5, one of the smokers I was looking at was the BWS Chubby and G2 Chubby I didn't buy one but if I were it would have been the G2, rack size on the Chubby is too small.

Comment

jmoose28 what size WSM are you currently cooking with? I've got a WSM 22.5 and am wondering if I will ever outgrow it's capacity.

Comment

• jmoose28
                      jmoose28 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have the 18.5 currently...and don't get me wrong, i love it. It's just starting to wear and if im upgrading I might as well go for a new challenge

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      @jmooose28 I thought maybe you were on the 18.5. The 22.5 can hold so much more, it's really amazing. But that Backwoods Chubby is a nice looking smoker :-)

I'm not trying to throw a monkey wrench into your decision, but you might want out check out this thread.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                      Jerod Broussard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Where do I send your crate of bananas??>>>>

• RonB
                      RonB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Jerod Broussard - Just post a photo of the banananas.

• jmoose28
                      jmoose28 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well that just complicates things now doesn't it :-)

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here