Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inaugural Smoke on Hasty Bake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inaugural Smoke on Hasty Bake

First smoke on the Hasty-Bake. Ribs smoked with post-oak chunks dusted with Meat Mitch Nakes Seas'ning. Threw some brats on the top rack thinking they'd take a while to smoke. Pit hovered around 200 indicated on the dial for the first 30 minute of the smoke. I haven't set up my remote thermometer yet. I guess I started the cook too quickly. I didn’t quite have two fist size of coals burning when I shut the door to start the cook. We'll maybe I did depending on the size of said fist. I probably had a handful going in the corner. Seems like the top rack cooks fast. I have the charcoal tray cranked up to the Bake position. For reference. Temps climbed up to 225 after about an hour after I closed the door, loaded the pit and closed the lid. It took about 30 minutes to get the charcoal going good enough to shut the door and the vent.
    Attached Files

In my experience, the hood thermometer runs 30-40 degrees lower than the temp at the grate. You are probably somewhere around 250-260 at the grate …. Perfect temp, to me. The top rack can get pretty warm because of the convection effect of the HB. I cook sausage up there in 30-40 minutes, usually.

Comment

Hasty Bake is not fake, you may grill a steak, medium rare is what I take, and for dessert bake a cake, for goodness sake.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Someone needs to throw down a beat for this man! BOOM! and pbr, too

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe an upright bass and snare drum, CaptainMike? 😄

• DeusDingo
        DeusDingo commented
        Editing a comment
        did you lose a bet or something?

Oooo, so nice and shinny! I see the red kettle giving the HB the hairy eyeball in the backyard.

Comment

For the first cook on a new smoker, I'd say you did pretty darned good. It's only going to get better from here.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkerXP View Post
          Oooo, so nice and shinny! I see the red kettle giving the HB the hairy eyeball in the backyard.
          The Hasty-Bake was parked in front of the Grilla Silverbac. There's a mad grilla also in the yard. Haha.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

I realized why some were commenting on how shiny it was. Because it ain't no more. Haha.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                I remember when mine was that shiny :-)

Winner, winner, Wib dinner! Nuthin like Wibs as a breakin!

Comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                "winner, Wib dinner!", and don't for d'Bib.

Gasket on the door changes everything, simple mod that gives us so much more contol

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                That is so true! I wish HB would just do it at the factory.

• 70monte
                70monte commented
                Editing a comment
                I also agree. Putting gaskets on my Legacy 131 totally changed how it cooked.

Beautiful cooker!!

Comment

A HB 356 is currently an ongoin topic of MCS Debate here at home...

I jus don't wanna do nuthin on th rebound, an regret it...

So, I'm hangin back even though I find myself frequently missin that adjustable rack...

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mr. Bones I may just haf ta cowboy up

• Oak Smoke
                  Oak Smoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You just never know when MCS will rear its ugly head. I admire that you can set back and figure on it. Last thing you need is buyers remorse. I was pretty sure I had out grown MCS until i was sitting here the other day and found myself reading about a PK360, then i found myself pricing one on line. I may need to call on the brothers and sisters here to talk me out of that one.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oak Smoke Happens to Us All, I'd havedta Reckon, Brother...

Be Strong!!!

Mighta Happened, Here, Uh Time, Or Two....LOL!!!
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 10, 2021, 10:09 PM.

Nice work. Looks like you will have the last inaugural cook on that model for some time.

Comment

Yeah, these are sweet rigs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here