Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Hasty Bake Cometh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hasty Bake Cometh

Click image for larger version  Name:	C5E27E5F-E845-49DB-866D-63E355D7C981.jpeg Views:	19 Size:	4.56 MB ID:	1027264Click image for larger version  Name:	04D8B5BA-7BC0-49D4-8DFB-3D22625594DB.jpeg Views:	19 Size:	4.94 MB ID:	1027263 Today my nephew took possession of this brand spankin’ new Hasty Bake Legacy. Recently he and his bride found a little patch of green in this urban blight of ours and now this sweet rig...life is good.

Apparently he’s on a trial membership so I’ll get his user name and add it later.

Absolutely can not wait to see this in action.

Edit: please welcome ClaySchwiering
    Last edited by JCBBQ; May 4, 2021, 01:03 PM.

Nice! Love the little bit of green space they have.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John Damn it! I totally forgot about you. Guess you’re my least favorite nephew 🤷‍♂️

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John JCBBQ I laughed

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      No, Panhead John, he's hoping the guy will go ahead and join up. 😅

ClaySchwiering Congrats on your new cooker. And welcome to The Pit....now you’ve gotta stay.

Comment

Here's a great starting point for learning to light and manage a fire in a Hasty-Bake

I've titled this thread as an homage to the very successful thread started and maintained by (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/charcoal-drums-barrels-and-bullet-smokers/pit-barrel-cooker/12614-light-my-pbc-fire-tips-on-lighting-and-maintaining-temperatures)fzxdoc (Kathryn) about lighting and managing temperatures in the

Comment

Welcome to The Pit ClaySchwiering You’ll enjoy this place.

Comment

ClaySchwiering Welcome to The Pit from Minnesota.

Comment

ClaySchwiering Welcome to the pit, and enjoy that new cooker!

Comment

ClaySchwiering Welcome from Maryland

Comment

I liked the thread title, and figured what the heck, why start a new one when I can hijack an old one? So, apologies to JCBBQ and his nephew. (I'm a poet, don't you noet?)

After testing Huskee 's patience and finally getting a pic and the tax form taken care of, I got an email from FedEx and Max Good that my Hasty-Bake had shipped last Wednesday (6/7) and would arrive on the 16th. Last Friday I got a call from FedEx in Yakima that they wanted to set up delivery for today, even though the HB was still in Hermiston. I said I would be here before 10:30 or after 15:00, so he said he would set it up for the afternoon and would give my phone number to the driver.

Today at 11:37 I get a call from the driver that he'll be there in 10 minutes. Um, no that won't work. He asks if he can drop it off. (Really? It's a $1200 cooker, not a package from Amazon) No, there's nobody there. he says he'll be there after 15:00.

He shows up at 16:47 (I saw him on the road on the other side of my hayfield, GPS sends them there every time) and finally finds my driveway. He backs in where I'm waiting with the tractor and forks. He opens the door, it's the only pallet in there, and even though it's on the bulkhead, I can see this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1815.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	1436272

Crap. We get it off the truck and pull off the box. It appears to be just a cosmetic scratch, nothing dented or worse. I can live with that, but tell him that I will write in on the Bill of Lading just in case.

Then he floors me.

He says that the copies he handed me are mine, he'll sign the one he's taking back. Say what? I've never had a freight hauler does not make me sign for a delivery. Now the request to drop off is making sense. So, without signing, i take delivery. Now were I a man lacking integrity, or a lawyer (just joking, sort of, for our barrister members) I would ring up FedEx tomorrow and ask why the driver did not make a delivery. When it was obvious the signature on the BoL was not mine, then FedEx would have it's tit in a wringer.

I brought it up to the garage, and though I didn't have time (dogs needed a bath, they got skunked earlier this morning) I went ahead and put it together so as to make sure all was good. Then packed it away.

I know, you want to know when I'll do the first cook. Mrs. CN is leaving to help a friend on Thursday, so not this weekend unless I want to never hear the end of it. By the time she gets back we should be under a burn ban. That means it will be October.

Anyway, here it is:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1816.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	1436271

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1817.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	1436270

Thanks again Huskee and Amazing Ribs!
                Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; June 12, 2023, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• Alan Brice
                  Alan Brice commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Shoo, right next to the temp gauge! Talk about luck of the draw.

• ComfortablyNumb
                  ComfortablyNumb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Alan Brice I don't know if it damaged it or not yet. You can see in the top pic that the TG is not properly oriented. Not sure if it came from the factory that way, or it it was spun when the damage occured. I turned it back to its proper orientation as you can see in the second picture.

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This seems to be a more common occurrence as our society continues on its slide. It's a rare thing to get an undamaged package these days. And then the lack of integrity on the driver's part, a sad commentary.

Congratulations on your win! I know you will really enjoy your HB in spite of the scratch. You might give HB a call and let them know about your experience as they may need to make changes to their packaging and/or shippers.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                  ComfortablyNumb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. It wasn't their packaging. It looks like another item was against it when it was picked up with a forklift and caught the top of the box. Probably something protruding as it made a hole and put on the scratches.

Will you be contacting HB about it? Maybe they can send you out a can of touchup paint at the very least?

I had a bent and scratched bottom shelf due to shipping damage with my Camp Chef griddle back in 2020, and Camp Chef sent out a replacement shelf.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If they don't send CN some touch up paint, Rustoleum's 2000 degree flat black automotive paint works well

Hasty Bake is in the Cooker Hall of Flame in the most versatile category. They are fine cooking rigs, fo sure!!! Congrats to the new owners. Now show us what you can do with one Cookies

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Chickens and steaks and ribs oh my!

JCBBQ What happened to your nephew, he didn't like us?

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cool avatar.When you open for biness??

• JCBBQ
                  JCBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Huskee’s Def Leopard BBQ 😂

• barelfly
                  barelfly commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wanna rock!

Have these new designs ever fixed the leaky issues?

Comment

• TheCountofQ
                  TheCountofQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ComfortablyNumb Actually, even that isn't necessary, IMHO. Just close the lid, intake, and exhaust, crank the handle to lower the coals to the ash pan so no air gets underneath. That should take care of it. You may find that unless the fire grate is high enough, only the coals nearest the intake will burn/stay lit, even on an unmodified rig. It's a good thing.

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ComfortablyNumb you could definitely do that. Or, as TheCountofQ says .... that requires two more pieces of the puzzle. You want about an inch layer of ash in the ash pan at all times to smother the air flow AND you need to get some amount of seal on the firebox door. That way, when you close that vent you actually kill the airflow.

• TheCountofQ
                  TheCountofQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm not sure it's necessary to seal the door, although I won't say it would be a bad idea. I do know that if I'm restocking charcoal on long low temp cooks (unsealed Gourmet) those farther away from the intake vents won't light IF the box is not clearly above the intake a bit. It's as if the coals closer burn up oxygen before it gets to the further away coals, when using the heat deflector. Half a crank or so upward resolves the issue. A seal helps with wind gusts I 100% agree.

ComfortablyNumb here's the post to read about lighting and running a Hasty-Bake :-)

Light my (Hasty Bake) fire! - Pitmaster Club (amazingribs.com)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here