Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many racks of ribs can you fit on a WSM 22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many racks of ribs can you fit on a WSM 22?

I am doing a cook for about 50 people in a couple weeks here at work. The food I am cooking will be ribs and brisket, sides will be catered. I'll be cooking on site and have a WSM 22 that I will be using to cook the ribs. My question is this, how many racks of ribs can I fit on my cooker to max it out? Would you cook baby backs or St. Louis and what method of placement would you use for each? I prefer not to roll them into circles but will if that is the best option. Thanks for any and all help!

If I were you I would hang them. But then you have to buy the kit for that, but it would be nice to have for future cooks.

You an always use the coil method, I have never had any issues when I do that in my little KJ Jr. You would have enough room in the WSM if you coil them all.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      hahaha, that.....thing.......is......actually pretty sweet. Craigar surfdog

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker I'm not too sure about the chicken in the middle, since I prefer to cook chicken at a higher temp. But I suppose you could toss some ears of corn or taters in there to cook up while waiting for the ribs.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, The only way I like chicken is fried, but you could throw a small shoulder or some shorties in there! Craigar

How about this? If I buy (2) I can fit 6 racks on the top grate and another 6 on the bottom.
    https://bbqguru.com/storenav?Categor...SABEgKtCvD_BwE
    Last edited by Hulagn1971; October 26, 2018, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      That's exactly what I was thinking about...but much larger to fit a 22" grate.

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Craigar exactly. I bet if they made a larger one you could get 9 racks on one rib ring. 18 total for top and bottom. That would be a killer set up.

I've used rib racks on upper and lower grate to cook 12 St.Louis before. I rotated them in the racks a few times and switched upper with lower for an even cook.

Comment

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      I am curious about how you do this. Are you are just reaching into it one grate at a time? What do you use to set the gates on?
      Last edited by lostclusters; October 26, 2018, 11:05 AM.

I only have a kettle, but use the Weber rib rack to do up to 5 racks of STL or baby/loin back ribs. That is with the SNS on there, so you would have no issue getting a rack a little longer than the 5 slot Weber one to put more than 5 on each level of the WSM 22. So easily 12 total racks if you use rib racks.

Note that the ones towards each end of the rack may need to curve a little to fit the contours of the WSM, but they do fine.

I can see how if you had hanging hardware like the PBC uses, you could probably hang 16 racks of ribs on a WSM 22, as I've seen people hang 12 on the 18" diameter PBC.

Comment

If it helps, here is how 3 racks of loin back ribs from Sam's club - about 3 pounds or so per rack (almost 10 total) fit on a 22" kettle grate, using the Weber rack, and laid flat at the end with sauce. As you can seek, with the WSM and not losing 1/3 of the grate to the Slow 'N Sear, you could do a lot more. Looking at the pictures, even if you bought the Weber 5 slot racks, you could fit another slab or two on the grate at either end of it most likely.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7837.JPG Views:	2 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	584046Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7840.JPG Views:	3 Size:	2.14 MB ID:	584047

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking good!

How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        All of it...

You should be able to easily fit three racks laying flat per grill grate. I have a hovergrill and have cooked nine racks in my 22"WSM. It all comes down to how many grill grates you want to buy, or borrow, and add. If you got creative and spaced the grill grates with bolts I think you could easily fit 15 racks or more.

Comment

So, if I can get 6 on top and 6 on the lower grate and cook at 250-275 how long do you think the cook would take with baby backs?

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Roughly 5 hours, maybe a bit less (you're balancing higher temp against less airflow).

• Hulagn1971
          Hulagn1971 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks EdF I wasn't sure if due to capacity it would take longer or not. Do you think I should rotate top to bottom halfway through the cook?

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd be inclined to if you want both levels to finish about the same time.

I bought a couple of these
        Traeger Grills BBQ Rib Rack (BAC354) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BH3SFGO..._kzj1Bb7H9JDH3
        so along with my mods I can cook 24 racks. I lay an extra rib on top of the 8.
        remember if ya do wrap em then you can stack them on top of each other when the time comes

Comment

I've done 16 smaller racks of ribs before on my WSM 22 using rib racks. I could have fit more but I was also cooking a leg of lamb and a rib roast at the same time. I have a number of smaller rib racks that I use (link below) so that I can fit more racks of ribs into the corners of the smoker. As EdF noted, I would expect the cook time on the ribs to be higher, especially if any of the racks of ribs touch each other. To avoid having the racks of ribs touch while using rib racks, I often use multiple rib racks on the same racks of ribs (although I usually stagger the placement of the rib racks a bit).

On a side note, is there some other word that folks use when referring to rib racks? I've often had difficulties discussing rib racks and racks of ribs in the same thought without causing folks who don't smoke or grill some confusion.

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            'rib racks' hold the 'racks of ribs', or the/a 'rack'. This is my word as a pitman, and as such is beyond contestation. jfmorris Troutman EdF Spinaker Hulagn1971

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            JGo37 - sequence matters!

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            So it’s either "look at the rack of ribs on her.. or is it "look at the ribs below that rack? “. I’m so confused 😐

Craigar That’s cool...but I was thinking of something a bit like this... Click image for larger version

Name:	565B3B29-BB24-4607-A959-82F0E05176D9.jpeg
Views:	565
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	586594

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Haha - inspiration from pool filters! That reminds me I need to backwash and recharge with DE today...

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Okay, I see the method to your madness surfdog . Plus you might be able to get away with not having to trim off a couple of ribs to make it fit.

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris I tend to find inspiration all over! And glad I could help with your pool. LOL
            Craigar That’s exactly what I was thinking...

I've decided to order two sets of rib rings. One for the top grate and one for the bottom. I'll be able to cook (12) racks total. The cook will be next Friday so I'll keep you all updated on how it all works out.

Comment

here's 6 racks of back ribs on the WSM 22 .... as you can see, they fit very easily. I think I could do more like 12 racks of ribs if I had rib racks.

The bottom grate - at the time I only had a Maverick Et-732, so I used a potato to hold my temp probe for the bottom grate
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7742.JPG
Views:	550
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	588546

The top grate

Name:	IMG_7743.JPG
Views:	526
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	588548

And here we are several hours into the cook .... you can see the ribs on top and bottom.

Name:	IMG_7747.JPG
Views:	554
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	588547

Comment

Name:	8479ED52-CF0D-4BBD-9BE7-B9520C569FC0.jpeg
Views:	523
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	589142 Here is how I do 8 racks on a Weber kettle with a Smoke EZ insert with hooks from PBC

Comment

• Craigar
                Craigar commented
                Editing a comment
                SmokeytheBare do you put your charcoal in the middle of the ring with this setup or use the snake method? I have the 26.75" version of the Smoke E-Z.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here