Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM upgrades: who’s done it, worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSM upgrades: who’s done it, worth it?

Like the title says,
    Who hear has done WSM upgrades? If so, what have you done, replaced door, gaskets?
    If you have, what noticeable difference has it
    made if any?
    Thanks in advance,
    JD

3 things here.

1. put a hinge on the lid. Makes life much easier than searching for somewhere to put the lid.

2. Bought an upgraded fire basket. The original fire basket gets a bit clogged with ash if you’re burning something like Kingsford Blue Bag.

3. Got the Cajun Bandit door. Seems to seal the body better. Regardless, it looks way better.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4ABD8A90-5599-4C19-B096-1ABE8E4A2950.jpg Views:	19 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	1235871
    Click image for larger version  Name:	5B18B588-AE4F-4879-A441-0F8A79B1AEC3.jpg Views:	20 Size:	3.55 MB ID:	1235872
    Click image for larger version  Name:	B85D2FAF-629A-46E0-82C5-9ABE5EF236B5.jpg Views:	20 Size:	2.52 MB ID:	1235870

here’s a pic of the stock Weber cover over the hinge. No issues.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	1235929
    Last edited by ecowper; June 12, 2022, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• jsaniga
      jsaniga commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the 22"? I bought the door for my 18" and still can't get it to close correctly. Pinches at the bottom.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      jsaniga yes the WSM 22

Wheels, and cajun bandit door.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      you just think everything should have wheels ;-)

I haven’t done anything to mine. But I’ve considered these options mentioned. I looked at the door but I wasn’t sure if it’s worth it. I’ve read a lot of positive reviews on it and some not so positive. I like the idea of the a hinge and almost pulled the trigger but then someone pointed out that I’d need to get another cover because the Weber stock one won’t fit. I have a large patio so it’s not a huge problem to find a spot to put the lid. But I do like the idea of a hinge. Wheels: I really wish Weber would just add them in the first place. I keep mine underneath my soffit when it’s not I use and oh I’d love to be able to just roll it over. This is something I may add but I’m not sure. I’ve looked at different charcoal baskets and like the looks of the Arbor Fab one the most. But again I’m still not sure if I want to buy it. I also looked at an insultes cover to use it in the winter that I found online. It was a company out in California. It was nice but really expensive. When I priced these mods out (plus shipping) it came out to like $400. While I love my WSM I also love my pellet smoker too and most of these mods I looked at were for winter cooking. The pellet smoker serves that role mighty fine.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      My Weber stock cover fits just fine :-)

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      For a cover. I bought the 22 kettle cover, and had my mother in law stitch a black very similar fabric, extension to almost the ground. It is a nice fit, even with the hinge. I personally do not like the hinge, and wish they would have never installed it. I am left with holes for bolts that are not needed. I’m about a 75 percent fan of the door. Good wheels are worth it, if y0u are on a smooth surface, if not smooth, not so great,

Wheels, hinge, door…love it,

Comment

I put garage door handles on mid section for handling, I find them handy. Not sure everyone would find them useful. I store the midsection upside down when not in use to keep rain out.
      Attached Files

Comment

I added handles at the top of the barrel. This made it easy to lift the barrel off of the bottom to add charcoal and wood chunks,

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170809_175044.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1235945

Comment

As some have already mentioned:
          1. Put handles on the mid section. Makes it easier to move, handle, etc. Yes, I think it was good to do.
          2. Put a hinge on the lid. Don’t have to lay the lid on the ground. Good upgrade.
          3. Bought rib hangers. I like ‘em.
          4. put caster wheels on the metal feet. Makes it easy to move around.
          5. Bought walnut, engraved handles. Nice personalized touch to the old WSM.

Comment

I’m surprised that a fan/controller isn’t at the top of everyone’s list.

Comment

• radiodome21
              radiodome21 commented
              Editing a comment
              I also have a Billows. I haven’t attempted an overnight cook on my WSM in a few years because I had a few flameouts with some butts. Strong IPAs consumed on those night night have played a hand in me not checking my coals…….

But I plan on doing some this summer.

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s really not needed on a 22 wsm. Yet, I do use it on my wsm,
              Last edited by Richard Chrz; June 13, 2022, 12:49 PM.

• Elton's BBQ
              Elton's BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Indeed

Thanks everyone,
            Seems replacing the door is the place to start, and go from there.
            Best regards.
            JD

Comment

• UFLawdog
              UFLawdog commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s the only thing I’ve done but only because I don’t want to drill holes in mine.

I did the Cajun Bandit Door, hinge kit, & wheel kit. I also added side handles to the middle section, got the upgraded charcoal basket from arbor fabrication, and changed out the stock lid thermometer. I think each mod was worthwhile and added to the WSM to make it an even better smoker.
            Attached Files

Comment

Have a WSM22. Upgrades:
              1. Cajun Bandit door
              2. Cajun bandit charcoal ring (SS and larger than stock)
              3. Cajun Bandit water pan (SS and larger than stock)
              4. Cajun Bandit folding side table.
              5. Pit Viper fan and fan port for WSM.
              6. Firebird v1

Might do in future:
              1. Upgrade thermometer. (not sure I want to drill into the metal. don't really use the lid thermometer anyway)
              2. Top hinge kit. (not sure I want to drill into the metal)
              3. Wheels. (don't move mine but if I change where I do my cooking, might want to make my WSM mobile)
              4. Gaskets for door and between sections. (don't really find this necessary)

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Since I use a Fireboard, I never saw a need to upgrade the dome thermometer. The top hing kit is great! Get a step down drill bit at your hardware store. Use a punch to get a starting point for drilling, then drill to your necessary bolt size. Not too difficult, and makes a huge difference. I’ve never seen any issue with the WSM 22 not sealing up nicely, so have never bothered with gaskets.

• kjbarth
                kjbarth commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree on the dome thermometer. My thermometer hasn't worked since about a year after I got the WSM. Got water in it when cleaning the inside of my WSM and it hasn't worked since. Using the Fireboard makes the top thermometer obsolete. My sections and SS door seal pretty well so no need for gaskets. Maybe I'll look into the hinge kit again.

I’m cheap and bought some fire proof gasket and sealed my stock door, huge improvement for my WSM 18. I’ve also got a Fireboard and a fan.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I’m sure if I still had the stock door I’d be sealing it. From what I see, that stock door basically acts like a second chimney …. Pulls way too much air through the WSM and would make it very difficult to maintain steady 225-250 without choking out the fire from the bottom vents.

all are good suggestions, but if you're gonna do anything make sure you do the gasket--use Island BBQ gasket---I have on my WSM and Kettle---absolutely necessary

Comment

Though I no longer have mine…mine was bone stock.

Considered the hinge but never got around to it. Probably would have been the most useful mod for my needs. Though simply removing the lid was never really an issue…the hinge would have just made it a bit better.

Also almost got the Cajun Bandit door…but that was really more about aesthetics than functionality as I never had any problems with my stock door.

All my cookers tend to stay in place year round, so wheels are pretty much superfluous for me. About the only time anything gets moved is when a new toy joins the party.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I move my cookers twice a year when I power wash the patio, otherwise, no moving.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here