Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drum Smoker - How Much Wood for Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drum Smoker - How Much Wood for Turkey

I'm waiting for the arrival of my first drum smoker (Oklahoma Joe Bronco) and trying to plan ahead for the Thanksgiving Turkey. I usually make the Ultimate Spatchcock Turkey Recipe and this year I want to add some smoke. I'm not real sure this recipe lends itself to a smoke flavor and if so, what kind of wood to use.

I was thinking about using Royal Oak lump charcoal, and cherry wood with a touch of hickory. Approximately how much wood do I add for a light but present smoke flavor?

The turkey with be around 12-14 lbs, spatch'd and probably on the grate instead of hung.

I would use Kingsford blue bag (kbb) briquettes instead of lump for your first cook. More reliable than lump. 3 -4 fist size wood chunks should do. And I'd cook it hot and fast like 375. Poultry is better that way. IMHO. Oh, and I am taking for granted the you are aware of the minion method used for litting the coal.
    Last edited by lostclusters; October 16, 2021, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      lostclusters "I'd cook it hot and fast like 375. Poultry is better that way"
      This is also a true fact on my pellet grill.
      Last edited by bbqLuv; October 17, 2021, 06:03 AM.

Originally posted by lostclusters View Post
    I would use Kingsford blue bag (kbb) briquettes instead of lump for your first cook. More reliable than lump. 3 -4 fist size wood chunks should do. And I'd cook it hot and fast like 375. Poultry is better that way. IMHO. Oh, and I am taking for granted the you are aware of the minion method used for litting the coal.
    Thank you for the concrete advice. I have plenty of KBB on hand although it's a couple of years old now but in unopened bags. I'll look up the minion method.

Comment

In the OJB you don’t need to use more than 2-3 chunks of wood. I’ve never used cherry, so I can’t comment on the flavor. But if you do, I would use only one chunk of hickory, as it has a stronger flavor profile than other woods, except for mesquite.

Comment

Cherry is the bestest of the bestest.

Comment

Pecan would be my first choice followed by cherry, then apple.
          If I wanted to think outside of the box maple.

Comment

• MtView
            MtView commented
            Editing a comment
            I have some Pecan, but haven't used it. I think I like the flavor when others use it so that's definitely something to think about.

Before you do the T-Day turkey, I'd do a trial run with a chicken. It will cook faster but try it with a single chunk of a wood. How's the smoke level? Too much? Not enough? About right?

Comment

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
            Before you do the T-Day turkey, I'd do a trial run with a chicken. It will cook faster but try it with a single chunk of a wood. How's the smoke level? Too much? Not enough? About right?
            So turkey and chicken meat pretty much take the smoke the same way? That's a great idea because I spatch my chicken and it will be a good test run with the new smoker. I don't make a lot of turkey during the year except at Thanksgiving, but if I can add a real smoke flavor I would probably make a lot more of it.

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              Close enough that it will give you a 'yeah, this is close' or 'wow, that's way too much/little smoke'. Obviously the turkey has more mass but... I'd try it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not paid placements, they are a curated selection of reviewed products.

All of the products below have been tested and are highly recommended. Click here to read more about our review process.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. This has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to maintain and improve this site so please click our “buy now” buttons on product reviews!

Grilla Proves That Good Things Come In Small Packages

The small 31.5″ x 29.5″ footprint of the Grilla Pellet Smoker makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, including on a condo patio. Click here for our review on this unique smoker.

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative. Click here for more about what makes this grill special.

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust-free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado. Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360 and get a special AmazingRibs.com price!

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat-controlled oven. Click here for our review of this superb smoker.