Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drum Smoker - How Much Wood for Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drum Smoker - How Much Wood for Turkey

I'm waiting for the arrival of my first drum smoker (Oklahoma Joe Bronco) and trying to plan ahead for the Thanksgiving Turkey. I usually make the Ultimate Spatchcock Turkey Recipe and this year I want to add some smoke. I'm not real sure this recipe lends itself to a smoke flavor and if so, what kind of wood to use.

I was thinking about using Royal Oak lump charcoal, and cherry wood with a touch of hickory. Approximately how much wood do I add for a light but present smoke flavor?

The turkey with be around 12-14 lbs, spatch'd and probably on the grate instead of hung.

I would use Kingsford blue bag (kbb) briquettes instead of lump for your first cook. More reliable than lump. 3 -4 fist size wood chunks should do. And I'd cook it hot and fast like 375. Poultry is better that way. IMHO. Oh, and I am taking for granted the you are aware of the minion method used for litting the coal.
    Last edited by lostclusters; October 16, 2021, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      lostclusters "I'd cook it hot and fast like 375. Poultry is better that way"
      This is also a true fact on my pellet grill.
      Last edited by bbqLuv; October 17, 2021, 06:03 AM.

Originally posted by lostclusters View Post
    I would use Kingsford blue bag (kbb) briquettes instead of lump for your first cook. More reliable than lump. 3 -4 fist size wood chunks should do. And I'd cook it hot and fast like 375. Poultry is better that way. IMHO. Oh, and I am taking for granted the you are aware of the minion method used for litting the coal.
    Thank you for the concrete advice. I have plenty of KBB on hand although it's a couple of years old now but in unopened bags. I'll look up the minion method.

Comment

In the OJB you don’t need to use more than 2-3 chunks of wood. I’ve never used cherry, so I can’t comment on the flavor. But if you do, I would use only one chunk of hickory, as it has a stronger flavor profile than other woods, except for mesquite.

Comment

Cherry is the bestest of the bestest.

Comment

Pecan would be my first choice followed by cherry, then apple.
          If I wanted to think outside of the box maple.

Comment

• MtView
            MtView commented
            Editing a comment
            I have some Pecan, but haven't used it. I think I like the flavor when others use it so that's definitely something to think about.

Before you do the T-Day turkey, I'd do a trial run with a chicken. It will cook faster but try it with a single chunk of a wood. How's the smoke level? Too much? Not enough? About right?

Comment

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
            Before you do the T-Day turkey, I'd do a trial run with a chicken. It will cook faster but try it with a single chunk of a wood. How's the smoke level? Too much? Not enough? About right?
            So turkey and chicken meat pretty much take the smoke the same way? That's a great idea because I spatch my chicken and it will be a good test run with the new smoker. I don't make a lot of turkey during the year except at Thanksgiving, but if I can add a real smoke flavor I would probably make a lot more of it.

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              Close enough that it will give you a 'yeah, this is close' or 'wow, that's way too much/little smoke'. Obviously the turkey has more mass but... I'd try it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here