Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fed Up With FoodSaver Vacuum Sealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You won't go wrong with the Weston Pro-2300, I've been very happy with mine. I'm not a heavy user of it, but it is well built and I expect it to last for years. The VacMaster you're looking at also appears to be a compelling choice, though the negative reviews are concerning.

Comment

It seems like every FS sealer we had was lacking in one feature or another (usually multiple). Also went through a few in a couple of years. Currently have the The FoodSaver 5800 Series 2-In-1 Automatic Bag-Making Vacuum Sealing System which also is lacking on some features. When this one goes will most likely go with a chamber vac.

Comment

I understand when you say a chamber sealer isn't logical because of infrequent use. That being said if you had a chamber sealer you likely would use it more than you think. I too got feed up with the cheap FS and other sealers and bought the VP215. I use it at least once a week and many weeks several times during that period. They are so much easier, reliable and cost effect material wise for me it has turned out to be a great decision I'll not regret making. I rarely buy many freezable products unless in bulk. CS are costly but savings on bagging materials and bulk food purchase prices add up rather quickly. Another plus is how long it would last. It is a product you can depend on getting what you pay for.
        All that being said if you have a Cabela's near you check out what they offer. I think it is made by Weston but with slightly different specifications.

Comment

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree 100%!

• Chuppy
          Chuppy commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking to buy a food saver at Cabela's with points any recommendations?

Um, well...My Weston Pro 2300 didn't last any longer than your new Foodsaver ones. Less than a year. We only did a dozen bags a week. So I'm busy and just bought another. More problems. Change the pump. Other problems.

So I went with the biggest Chamber that Webstaurant sold. Not practical for a home, but great for a restaurant. Bags from vacuumsealersunlimited.com seem reasonable. 3 mill work fine.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, that's disconcerting to hear, PaulstheRibList . I was hoping for a huge step up in quality and reliability with the Weston Pro 2300.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; June 12, 2019, 07:58 AM.

I'm out of expendable counter space. I don't need in integral roll cutter, I have an external one from an old FoodSaver that does quite will. I just need one that will do a couple of nice steaks, 4 ears of corn, and the occasional 2 bone rib roast.
        Any ideas?

Comment

• NapMaster
          NapMaster commented
          Editing a comment
          Look at the Avid Armor unit. Reading post and reviews, the Weston and Foodsaver units appear to be a crap shoot at best. Reviews are excellent for the Avid Armor unit. I like mine.

• Chuppy
          Chuppy commented
          Editing a comment
          Avid Armor Vacuum Sealer Model AVS7900 Is this the model you're talking about?

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Chuppy , read some of the more current posts at the end of this topic (page 8 as of today) where Avid Armor units are discussed more in detail. I have the Avid Armor AVS 7900 and it works great.

FoodSaver units have not worked out for me. I've gone through several of them and finally gave up on FoodSaver because they just don't last. YMMV, though.

Kathryn

I've read a ton of reviews for the Weston Pro2300 (15" sealer, no bag storage, no roll cutter, no accessory port, $399) and the VacMaster 380 (16" sealer, bag storage, roll cutter, accessory port $439).

After reading the reviews on the Webstaurant store site for the VacMaster 380 ($60 less than other sites) it looks like it's a real hassle to get authorized for return for a defective unit, throwing the customer between Webstaurant and the vendor. Vendor wants to replace the unit which is defective right out of the box, but Webstaurant store won't authorize; they want the vendor to repair it instead. Then there's the hassle of getting the money back from Webstaurant even though vendor has stated the unit is defective. Sounds awful. I may have to pay more and have a cleaner return/refund policy.

For both units the reviews are mixed. About 10% 1 Star ratings and 70% 5 star ratings for both. Sounds like a crap shoot either way.

Many reviewers say, like Polarbear777 and PaulstheRibList , get a chamber sealer for twice the price, entry level. Still not sure I want the weight (60 to 80 lbs ) the fact that I'd have to eat a lot of $$ for my FoodSaver Gamesaver bag stock, and the fact that I'd never use it enough to recoup the price differential in lower bag costs.

Still mulling...

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; June 12, 2019, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bkhuna View Post
          I'm out of expendable counter space. I don't need in integral roll cutter, I have an external one from an old FoodSaver that does quite will. I just need one that will do a couple of nice steaks, 4 ears of corn, and the occasional 2 bone rib roast.
          Any ideas?
          Actually the VacMaster Pro 380 or 350 have smaller footprints than the Weston 2300 or 2100 products. Weight about 20 pounds, give/take.

I'm like you with my use level, but when I need it, I need it.

Looks like VacMaster and Weston are both iffy purchases in that either you get a good one or you don't. A crapshoot, as I said. Just like FoodSaver, except FoodSaver customer service is wonderful. Not such good reports on customer service for VacMaster or Weston.

So now I'm considering backing down to an 11" unit (VacMaster Pro 350) just so I don't have so much skin in the game and purchase an extended warranty plan from Amazon, which kicks in after the 1 year manufacturer's warranty expires. It adds $44 to the purchase price. That way I can hopefully recoup my money if I get a lemon.

Still thinking though. Maybe I should just go back to crappy FoodSaver reliability and keep returning the lemons. Like I said, at least their customer service is good. Kind of "the devil you know" approach.

Kathryn

Comment

Seems like I've seen this post several times over the past few years on various forums: Had a Foodsaver, lasted a long time, eventually needed to be replaced, and the new one was a problem. I, too, have an older Foodsaver that has served me well but seems to be failing (my usage is sporadic, some parts of the year very little, others a lot) and I'm not looking forward to replacing it.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, Murdy . When one has to replace a non-chamber vacuum sealer, one gets into a real pickle. Hope your FoodSaver hangs in there.

K.

• tmaan235
              tmaan235 commented
              Editing a comment
              What I've run into is I had a nice Foodsaver that did a great job for about 3 years then the seals started wearing out and it wouldn't pull a good enough vacuum to trip the heat it up while still pulling a vacuum switch. I looked around for repair seals and guess what, no seals available. Bought another one for $129us and it works great and when it craps out in 2 or 3 years guess I'll buy another one......

My VacMaster Pro 350 is a little over a year old. My usage has been light, probably less than a dozen bags a month on average.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, fuzzydaddy , for the additional info.

K.

@fzxdoc..my very old, very reliable Food Saver is beginning to bite the dust also. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Vacmaster vp112s Chamber vac. It's about $150 more than the prices you're quoting, but with pretty good reviews. Take a look at Vacuumsealersunlimited.com (about $640 w/ free shipping) and good luck on whatever decision you make

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, OmegaDog12 . I'll go there and take a look.

Kathryn

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              That's what I've had since 2012. A year or so back I had to replace the top cover. Not a big deal. Very reliable.

I've had two food savers that crapped out. Almost pulled the trigger on the Vacmaster 380 until I read the reviews at webstaurant store and Amazon. I'd love the 16" seal width, but there are entirely too many reviews that say a $350 machine is not reliable. Finally decided to go with another foodsaver (2435). It gets used a couple of times a week and so far so good. I've decided that if this one craps out soon, I'm going with the cheapest available knock-off on Amazon. It won't last, but at $30-$40 tossing it in the trash is no harm-no foul.

I think that the weak link in the non-chamber sealers, regardless of initial quality, is that sooner or later some liquid gets sucked into the pump and gums it up. No way to clean it out.

Comment

• Bighorn Dave
              Bighorn Dave commented
              Editing a comment
              Thats what I call fuzzy math.

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              Bighorn Dave
              Take $35 of your $350 for first sealer, invest remaining $315 at 5%.
              3 years later, value of investment will be $364.65.
              Buy replacement sealer and $14.65 worth of bags.
              Repeat. Fuzzy?

• Bighorn Dave
              Bighorn Dave commented
              Editing a comment
              I prefer to use the ROI rule. You do know what that is don't you?

Well, that's one approach, johnec00 . Go with whatever's cheapest and use until it dies.

I was intrigued by the 16" width as well, but honestly, for all the years I've used vacuum sealers, I've never needed anything wider than the 11" bag rolls I always get. When I thought about it (brisket, for example) I decided they are cryovac packed when I buy them. So if I want to freeze one, I just leave it in the cryovac.

If I want to sous vide (SVQ) a brisket, I'd want to separate point/flat anyway so could use smaller bags.

I just thought the 16" would come in handy but for a total price tag of $440 + $77 insurance plan, I just couldn't see spending over $500 for a non-chamber sealer.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; June 12, 2019, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              You're likely right about the 16" seal bar. It's one of those things that sounds good when you say it fast, but on reflection . . . .

I've also tried foodsaver's "expandable" rolls. Never got a good seal without running the seal 3-4 times.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed, johnec00 . I never could get those FoodSaver expandable bags to work either.

K.

Originally posted by OmegaDog12 View Post
            @fzxdoc..my very old, very reliable Food Saver is beginning to bite the dust also. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Vacmaster vp112s Chamber vac. It's about $150 more than the prices you're quoting, but with pretty good reviews. Take a look at Vacuumsealersunlimited.com (about $640 w/ free shipping) and good luck on whatever decision you make
            I checked the Vacmaster vp112s chamber vac out, OmegaDog12 . Its dimensions are similar to the VacMaster 380, but it weighs 55 lbs (the 380 weighs around 20 lbs). No way I could store it in my pantry and take it out on the infrequent occasions when needed. If I used a vacuum sealer daily, though, and wanted to yield counter space to it, then it would be just the ticket.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Kathryn

Comment

• mgaretz
              mgaretz commented
              Editing a comment
              Make room on the counter. You won’t regret it.

Originally posted by RonB View Post
            Sop I guess that this is one time that you want your purchase to suck.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	dosequis_clapping.gif
Views:	932
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	694133

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
              Fed Up With FoodSaver Vacuum Sealers
              Preach it sister! I'm feeling the same way. Reading this thread with great interest.

Originally posted by johnec00 View Post
              I've decided that if this one craps out soon, I'm going with the cheapest available knock-off on Amazon. It won't last, but at $30-$40 tossing it in the trash is no harm-no foul.
              That, sir, is some high-level thinking. If I use up my big stash of foodsaver bags and throw away a few knockoff sealers inthe process, it might be the loss-minimizing strategy. Great stuff.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here