Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fed Up With FoodSaver Vacuum Sealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NapMaster , I looked up the Avid Armor A100 Vacuum sealer and can't find reviews for it except for 10 reviews on the Avid Armor website. They're out of stock until next week. Out of stock on Amazon too.

I'll keep an eye on it. Did you find reviews on sites other than the Avid Armor site?

I see you've only had it for a few months--how often have you used it?

Thanks!

Kathryn

Comment

Jsst got the Vac Master Pro 380. Haven't used it yet. Food saver wasn't working for me. Liked the review I saw, but you are much more thorough than I. Hope I don'y regret it.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Hope you're a happy customer and get years of use out of your purchase, ofelles .

Where did you purchase it from?

Kathryn

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        got it from Webresturantstore.com

• johnec00
        johnec00 commented
        Editing a comment
        The truth about reviews is that purchasers that love a product seldom review, but those that hate it can't wait to vent. Hopefully you'll be in the former group, but please let us know what you think after you've used it. I'm still intrigued by it's capability . . . wider seal bar, 16" seal, and transparent cover so you can tell if there's a kink in the bag.

Never had much luck with my Foodsaver. Finally got rid of it. Cling wrap and Ziplock bags is how I roll these days.

Comment

I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest. My FoodSaver is a few years old and working ok for now but I've been thinking about what I'd replace it with. Storage is a problem for me so I can't get a Chamber Style. I've been looking at a LEM. People like their LEM grinders and sausage stuffers. Thanks for all your posts on the subject.
        Extend the freshness and freezer life of your favorite foods with our powerful, easy-to-use vacuum sealers. LEM offers the best vacuum sealers at great prices that will prevent freezer burn and loss of flavor.
        Last edited by Skip; June 12, 2019, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion of the LEM, Skip . In comparison to the slightly higher priced Weston Pro 1100 and Vacmaster Pro 350, its power rating is much less at 435 watts compared to 720 watts for the VacMaster and 680 watts for the Weston Pro. I'm assuming that translates to how well it sucks.

The Lem MaxVac 500 is more attractively priced on Amazon at $230, compared to $299 for the Weston Pro 1100 and the VacMaster Pro 380 at $350.

The reviews on Amazon are similar to those of the other two: 70% or so say it's great and 10% say it fails quickly or does not work even out of the box. So for all three options, we have a 1 in 10 chance of getting a true lemon, which is where customer service comes in.

Honestly if I could hoist a 60 to 80 lb chamber sealer onto my countertop as needed without straining something important , I'd get a chamber sealer in a heartbeat after seeing all the sketchy reviews and experiences with customer service with the non-chamber vacuums.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; June 13, 2019, 07:27 AM.

Comment

This is how I roll:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.JPG
Views:	1573
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	694444

Comment

• AverageJoe
              AverageJoe commented
              Editing a comment
              ComfortablyNumb I have a stout that has been aging on vanilla beans as an experiment. I am hoping that it hasn't gone off though.

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              AverageJoe I'll be happy to taste test it for you. Might have to enlist Mr. Bones as an assistant...

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              This would be an emphatic acceptance of yer kind offer to participate in this particular scientific pursuit, if yer Assistant position is still open...

I have chewed me a few porters, an stouts, when th situation necessitated it...

Yup, too large a footprint for me, ComfortablyNumb , especially for the relatively light use I would give it. But I like your style!

Kathryn

Comment

very interested in what you decide on getting as I need the same but never had one before. Cant keep using these Ziploc bags forever:0

Comment

So what was the final decision on which one ya gonna purchase?

Comment

Great thread. I've had the same Foodsaver for years, and truth be told, I've never liked it, but it won't die so I keep using it. Requires double sealing, wastes material, and if you use it for more than a few bags it overheats and you have to wait. And don't get me started on pulling vacuum, you have to arrange the bag just so. To me, reliability is important, but I would also want a unit that fixes these issues.

Comment

Wow! Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have had a Foodsaver for over 3 years, and have no issues with it. I love mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuke em View Post
                      So what was the final decision on which one ya gonna purchase?
                      Nuke em , I ordered the Vac Master Pro 350 with the insurance policy from Amazon. That way if it turns out to be a lemon within the next 4 years, I'm covered. It was delivered today. Haven't had a chance to use it yet though.

Kathryn

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                        Mr. Bones commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I fervently hope that it proves to be a reliable, sturdy sealer that is pleasant to utilize, an meets yer standards in every way, Milady!

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the good wishes, Mr. Bones . I certainly hope this thing works well for a long time. Fingers crossed!

Kathryn

Okay. Well I was watching this thread with great interest because I’ve never had one and mcs kicked me a couple times these past weeks. I purchased a joule for an experiment and needed a vacuum unit. Well after watching this post I pulled a trigger and got the vac master pro 380. Mine will be here on Monday.
                      My experiment is to sous vide some pulled pork and shock and freeze it then smoke or however it’s done. Still researching it to see how to exactly do that for bulk pulled pork (300 lbs worth). It’s nice to experiment. Looking for as close as possible to the straight smoking on a smoker but in mass quantities

Comment

Good luck with your Vac Master 380, Nuke em . Sounds like you're going to be giving it a good workout. Keep us posted about its reliability. I came close to getting it.

My VacMaster Pro 350 arrived yesterday, as I mentioned. I'll be using it for the first time later on today.

Kathryn

Comment

I used to have a FoodSaver and it worked fine but got rid of it last year (after 7 years) after the vacuum stopped working. Honestly, it took up too much space and I really didn’t like the rolls of vacuum bags that I had to cut. I always preferred the ready to seal bags of different sizes. Personal preference. Because of that I decided to buy a cheap vacuum sealer from Amazon and generic bags. My new sealer can be stored under my cabinet which is nice. I’m actually happier with my new cheap off brand sealer than I was with the FoodSaver.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here