Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why ever rotisserie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why ever rotisserie?

Is there anything that is better rotisseried than smoked? My bro in law gave me a rotisserie attachment, but I can't think of any reason to ever use it. Can anyone give me an excuse to try it?

Why rotisserie? It's fun.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-10-19 17.15.12.jpg
Views:	3089
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	642760

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Picanha !!!!

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	x75le.jpg
Views:	3086
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	642762

Comment

Yeah, smoked & rotisseried! It is now the only way I do chicken, unless the occasional pieces & parts thing. But whole chicken, try it you’ll be amazed. Due to chicken being a "fast" cook, give it a touch of smoke, nothin finer.
      Last edited by FireMan; February 27, 2019, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• ClayJones
        ClayJones commented
        Editing a comment
        Ain't gotta tell me twice! I just need to find a rotisserie for my smoker...

With rotisserie the meat is getting direct exposure to the radiant heat from the fire so it picks up more color/sear. It's especially good for birds.

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep!

• Willard
        Willard commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep +1

I keep hearing myself how good rotisserie chicken is, and of course I've had one from the store, but I've been so pleased with my chicken on the grill or smoker that I've not seen an urgent need to get a rotisserie. Plus they limit how many chickens you can cook at once - usually no more than 2. I can fit a lot more than that on the grill without the rotisserie.

All that said, I am tempted to get one to fit my new Genesis, just to try it. I would get one for the kettle, but its more expensive, and will take up a lot more storage room due to the ring.

Comment

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto what FireMan said.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I've got to start thinking smaller on more of my cooks, with the kids all moving out. That said, I also like having a freezer full of vacuum sealed pre-cooked meals ready to go. I like to keep pulled pork and split chicken halves or quarters that are precooked in the freezer for quick meals.

• Pequod
        Pequod commented
        Editing a comment
        I can roti more than two. I’ve roti’d three racks of ribs and had room for more. Look below. Get Octoforks and you can roti a LOT.

There's certainly a "fun factor" to it, but there's also a slightly different flavor or texture or that hard to define character that winemakers call terrior. Usually a no fail for crispy skin. I do a couple a month, but still enjoy a spatchcocked or traditional cut up bird on the grill. It's just another method, and since you have one give it a try and decide for yourself. Here's a link for some good recipes: https://www.thespruceeats.com/top-ro...recipes-335869
      Last edited by CaptainMike; February 27, 2019, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• Willard
        Willard commented
        Editing a comment
        It would have taken me years to express what CaptainMike so eloquently stated with no effort whatsoever. Let’s put it this way: my wife has declared my hundred bucks well spent and now I have to rotisserie kinda frequently.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing better than praise from the praiseworthy Willard. Some people have a way with words, others no have way. Probably too many years of dealing with city councils, EMS agencies, and fire district boards, they luuuuvvvv their purple prose!

• Willard
        Willard commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike Thank you! I get it. I work for city government. It helps in developing communication gymnastics 😎.

It's mandatory if you want to make a gyro loaf. The drippings running down but staying on the meat are essential. I imagine that's an added bonus for any other rotisserie-cooked meat.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Self-basting, I forgot about that one. Good point.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        oooooo gyro

I have never had a chicken cooked on a PBC, but on my kettle, rotisserie gives me the best chicken overall - chrisp skin, tender and juicy meat.

Comment

• andy.wpg
        andy.wpg commented
        Editing a comment
        Poultry on the Pit Barrel is as close to Heaven as you can get on Earth

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        My son lives on COSTCO roto chicken. It is good. But chicken out of the PBC is another dimension. (sort of like me)

Because the meat is basted in its own juices.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PorkLoin.jpg Views:	2 Size:	498.6 KB ID:	642839

Try my Three Little Pigs pork loin rotisserie recipe and tell me what you think.
      Last edited by Attjack; February 27, 2019, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I do chicken and pork loin on the rotisserie. The meat cooks evenly so you don't have to keep such a close eye on it, so it's great for a party. It creates an even, but crispy browning on chicken and loin without drying out the meat. I wouldn't say a rotisserie is a must-have item, but it's fun.

I cooked a big loin on the rotisserie for a house party a few years back. As the loin was cooking and getting a nice browned surface, I started slicing thin crispy but tender strips of the loin to share with my guests -- sliced along the grain like gyros are sliced. My husband still talks about that one.

Comment

Here is a simple reason - cause you can!

Comment

Since it was a free gift send it to jfmorris since he needs one, and I’m sure he will be able to report back why you should have kept it. 🙂

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha. There you go. If it will work on my Performer (22.5" kettle) or Genesis 4 burner I'm all for it.

Roto is great for whole birds, chicken thighs and pork tenderloin. Use a basket for the latter two.

Comment

Another reason:

Photo Feb 26, 5 52 01 PM.jpg Tried something fun. I made the kebabs with red potatoes, corn, andouille sausage and shrimp. I parcooked the potatoes about 8 minutes in boiling water

from bpiela

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here