Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why ever rotisserie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

horizontal shawarma, kebabs, and birds as mentioned above

Comment

Did someone say kebabs?

Click image for larger version

Name:	LtLOHDkWR13EXYNslPD-9SIXdSLsatiGubvlQFyaYt_GbQSd_2Sr1kNc70Xhu4402n-smOGZ691Cai6ezDGXWL6WW-AzwYHohq4BKvfA6gfRsSWQ8A7ZKGAM5uKeuy9-minKuGLhckj8CZu5mSa8-Wyowt2RLGnwrdOt2JTriWyIq9wX9uuF0VaD3pVMZ8uWECIWwmB4DXELLK_Z1_Q9NASmjzap-KwTrshHwalb-RcBEXs26Fq0SOt_NYEEExY
Views:	634
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	643090

Comment

Ribs:

Chicken Shawarma:

Chiang Mai Chicken:

Mini Chooks:

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome !!

do both.. .I like chicken as well as Prime rib on a roto I make a button ribboncane ham too.

Comment

I've had my rotisserie for 15 years or so. Average usage is about 1 time per year. I've only ever done turkey with mine. The problem I've always had is that no matter how tightly I bundle the bird with twine and no matter how tightly I push in the skewers the bird always ends up falling apart during the cook. The end result has always been great, but that aspect of it is bothersome.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Never had a bird fall apart. You should be able to adjust your technique.

• Dan Deter
            Dan Deter commented
            Editing a comment
            I do chickens 1-2 times a month on mine, never had one fall apart. Worst I've had happen is a wing comes loose and gets a little extra crispy. Haven't done a turkey yet, but I'm thinking about it.

Attjack "Fall apart" overstates it a bit. What ends up happening is the weight of the bird gets very uneven. When this happens the spit will struggle to rotate and then when the weight of the bird shifts it will "clunk" downward. This happens no matter how well I've trundled the bird and no matter how hard I push in and tighten the skewers.

Comment

• Dan Deter
            Dan Deter commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd be interested for you to try chickens and see if that happens. I'm wondering if its due to the size of the turkey. How big a turkey are you doing?

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Try skewering them through the side, rather than through the cavity. Truss and skew so that the legs are on the same side of the spit, and the wings are on the other. Truss tightly to the spit, and you should not have loose rotation.

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            Potkettleblack Great suggestion. I had been running the skewer through the cavity.

I am replying in this thread and I don't even own one. I guess it needs to go on the MCS list.

Comment

It's fun!!! And the food tastes great, especially over a live fire!

Comment

I have done this roast on the barbecue and it was awesome howtobbqright.com/2015/09/01/rotisserie-pork-loin-roast-recipe/

Comment

I got one. And I'm a master of poultry on the Grilla, which I'd put up against anyone's hanged bird on the PBC.

Porchetta as it's made in Italy. Loin in general. Leg of Lamb. Brazillian churasco. Tacos Arabes. Many many other things that benefit from being turned. There's the wow factor of spit roasting. And there's a connection to the past, when that's how many things were cooked, spit turned over a fire. And there's that flavor from self basting, searing, softening, researing that you get with the roto.

Looking forward to the nice weather in a few months, when I can properly clean my genesis and get the roto league going.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There are books and books of Brazilian Churasco:
                  Rio Grande do Sul is the Texas of South America. Or at least that's how Evandro Caregnato describes the Brazilian state. And he should know. He grew up

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So, would you say the chicken on the Grilla is better than the roto on the Genesis? I.e. will you be going back to the Genesis for chicken ever again, or just for those other items you mention cooking on the roto?

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I got my roto in December, and it's been absurdly cold and windy or mildly cold and rainy every single weekend since. So, I haven't done it. But vertical roast chicken on the Grilla is simply amazing.

I'll use mine a few times per year ... pretty much only for whole chicken ... and specifically for whole huli-huli chicken. It's pretty awesome.

Comment

Name:	chick 02.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	643455Click image for larger version

Name:	cornish2 03.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	643456Click image for larger version

Name:	pork loin 01.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	643457Click image for larger version

Name:	prime 04.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	643458

Comment

• BRic
                    BRic commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow sure looks good .

• Willard
                    Willard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Troutman looks great. What I like about yours is you have a lot more clearance between the meat and grates. In fact I have none on my Genesis. The grates have to come out and even then it’s close to burners.

Pineapple and a chook...with room to spare.

Name:	IMG_20180708_165123.jpeg
Views:	572
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	643477

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looking forward to spinning my first pineapple.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Now that is what I am talking about.

Mostly because it tastes really good.

Comment

Also because it is really hard to screw up. You can dry out grilled chicken, but rotisserie chicken just seems to get more tender.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here