Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first rotisserie cook not pretty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first rotisserie cook not pretty

Trying to get my first cook on in my little Weber Spirit. I defrosted a 7lb ham and knew I might run into problems with the size and shape of the ham. When I realized the orientation I had to use was going to run my spit into the bone I considered aborting my mission. Instead I decided to persevere and that meant butchering the ham by removing the bone. It's not pretty but its spinning.

If it's ugly and it works, it's still ham. Plus, now you've got a ham bone for makin' beans. And breakfast sammiches for days.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I did recognize the upside to the extra ham bone, and it does look tasty in an ugly kind if way.

I’d love to see some ugly bbq pics :-)

Comment

It's resting now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190101_193504.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	617295

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Breathtaking!

okay, I gotta agree that’s pretty ugly ..... but in the end ... was it fun to cook? Does it taste great? Then it’s great ugly Q :-)

Comment

Also, what’s going on in the drip pan?

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          It looks good

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          More specifically orange juice and whiskey reduction with butter, spices and aromatics for the baste. Then honey and maple syrup and more whiskey added to the baste to create the glaze. The black stuff on the ham us actually very good.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          That glaze/baste sounds amazing .... I’d give it a shot on ham.

Ugly Delicious

Name:	20190101_195651.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	617309

Name:	20190101_195951.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	617308

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with the rest of the brethren - that looks mighty good to me.

• jecucolo
          jecucolo commented
          Editing a comment
          I bet the glaze was great.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          It may be ugly, but it sure looks great for eating!

There we have it, "ugly is delicious ", Attjack 2019, Jan. And yes it is ugly, so we are so glad it’s delicious,

Comment

it actually looks outstanding .... love the burnt/carmelized glaze .... and the slices are looking great .... I’d eat that.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            You're very kind!

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Most of us only post our pretty cooks .... posting an ugly cook is awesome .... and it really does look good

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, good & ugly, yeah, that’s the ticket.

I won't be doing a ham that size and shape on this tiny grill again. I'll probably go for a chicken for my next spin.

Comment

• Timbo54
            Timbo54 commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like a 5/8 drill bit would of done the trick !

• h12mike
            h12mike commented
            Editing a comment
            I tried to do a 20lb bone in and could not get enough clearance from the charcoal in my XLBGE using the rotiss. Had to use a v rack. I should have trimmed it like you did.

Attjack highly recommend chicken on the rotisserie .... it’s pretty magical .... I figured the first time I did it, i would totally screw it up .... cause that is my experience. First cook of a new technique or cut of meat just doesn’t go well. But that first chicken on a rotisserie was like somehow they were born to go together.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            It's the reason I wanted a rotisserie. But I'm going to try to spin anything within reason now that I have one and see what it's all about.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Picked up a chicken today. Going to brine it with salt and baking soda for a couple day. I plan doing brussels sprouts and potatoes in the drip pan.

Oh yeah Attjack, it’s all in the spinning. And then you’ll see what you’ve got. 🤔

Comment

I think you created a whole new cooking genre. Ugly good! I think it's going to get some traction here on AR.
            The ham looks good I like the glaze! I hope you saved that ham bone for some ham and bean soup!

Comment

Attjack--do get a roto basket also: https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...caAlaeEALw_wcB

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll definitely be getting a basket or two. Thanks for the recommendation. What do you use yours for? I figure I want something for veggies and maybe a separate fish basket?

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                I use my basket for smaller things--thighs, pork tenderloin, veg, fruits like pineapple spears....It's nice to not have to "poke" the meat--just make me feel better. Works with spatch-cocked birds too, and, I'd bet, tri-tip. BTW, the specific basket I linked to wasn't a brand recommendation--just a photo for the example.

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                I haven't used mine for fish. Why? Just slow of me. I will soon.

Yea live and learn with a rotisserie. Getting the center of gravity correct is the challenge. Took me the longest time to figure out a whole chicken !! The end result, ugly delicious as you say, looked pretty dang good to me. Great outcome all-in-all. Keep trying with other meats, I love the results !!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here