Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First cook

I have the Genesis 4 burner and the wife got me a rotisserie for Christmas. I need to use it and looking for a good first recipe to try out on it. Any ideas?

Chicken. Truss it, season it and let it spin until the breast internal measures 160*. Baste with Wishbone Italian dressing to keep it moist and achieve a crispy skin.

Also welcome here Jason, good to have you in the Pit !!!

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a meal to me!

I totally agree with Troutman .... go with a chicken. You can’t mess it up. Dry brine it the day before. Truss the legs and wings. Give it a good rub, like Simon & Garfunkel from the free side. I run my rotisserie chicken fast and hot (like 375-400) and don’t end up with it drying out. But if you are running a bit lower and indirect, you will want to baste it .... Any Italian dressing will do the trick for that.

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Congrats on the rotisserie. Chicken is a good first cook.

Comment

Perfect! I was thinking chicken. If it ever stops raining here I’ll get one on.

Any tips to set the burners? I’m more used to the Big Steel Keg and controlling the temp on that opposed to the gas grill.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Suggest indirect, that is keep your outside burners hot and the area under you rotated meat cold. Convection will cook your food, not burn it.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Did my first chicken last night so I'm not an expert, but I went by the dome temp since that's where the chicken was spinning. I have a 2 burner gas grill so I just turned them both on. I kept it between 350 and 400 shooting for just below 400. It turned out great.

"If it ever stops raining .... " ..... hah, this is how I know you aren’t from the Pacific Northwest .... up here we cook rain or .... well, more rain!

I can’t really give you specifics on burner settings since I don’t have a gasser .... but on my charcoal grill I like to have the fire spread apart with a cool center so that the cook on the rotisserie is getting hit from the bottom left and the bottom right .... gives it about a 120 degree span of the circle where there is heat from the fire. I like the temp at the bottom of the chicken (closest to the fire) to be about 375 degrees.

I would fiddle with setting up the burners to get a 350-375 degree heat with where the chicken will be closest to the burners .... if that makes sense

Comment

Chicken or a bone-in - skin-on Turkey breast.

Comment

I hope your first cook goes well ... something magical happens with rotisserie chicken and it turns into this unctuous, deeply flavored, crispy skinned, simply beautiful bird. Costco figured this out and sells ridiculous amounts of rotisserie chicken. It’s simply and easy to do if you have a gas or charcoal bbq and a rotisserie .... and it’s positively caveman like :-)

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Geez Eric, that's kind of what I just posted on PKB's thread and then I read this. I AM running with the cool kids!!!!

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              CaptainMike great minds .... I saw your post and said "dang, I copied Mike"

Welcome to the Pit from southeast Michigan! You've already got a ton of good advice! Need pictures of the cook.

Comment

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Keiferr I'm familiar with Clinton Twp. You are pretty close to the Air Force base - Selfridge.

• Keiferr
              Keiferr commented
              Editing a comment
              JeffJ, yes. About 10 miles away. Retired from there.

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Were you a pilot? If yes, what did you fly?

JeffJ, no I wasn't .See pm.

Comment

I think my next spin will be a stuffed pork loin unless I buy a kebob accessory first.

Comment

I know it may be late but chickens do make a mess with all that dripping going on. Do you put a drip pan under them or foil on a gasser?

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, use a drip pan but a lot of the drippings also self baste the bird.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here