Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow .... My Wife Nailed It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow .... My Wife Nailed It

I asked for a good Japanese knife and a good sharpening system ..... this is what she put under the Christmas Tree

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	963009
    Click image for larger version

Name:	8D399F9A-95B3-4FF6-8AAB-5D694B3AB061.jpeg
Views:	624
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	963008

She's a keeper!

Comment

Careful...you'll shoot your eye out !!!

Seriously though, great gift !!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Or come up missing a finger or two

Uh oh - that’s a hint that she wants you to be a contestant on Top Chef.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m gonna start with not cutting fingers off

Great lookin' knives. I'm not 100% sure, but those knives are zirconium dioxide and are almost as hard as diamonds. Please make sure you have the correct sharpeners.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        1000 grit and 3000 grit stones only ..... the Edge Pro system comes with both, fortunately.

You'll really like the Edge Pro once you get over the learning curve. I suggest watching You Tube videos and getting an old carbon steel knife at a second hand shop or eBay and practicing on it. I got a set of 'Old Hickory' and I get them so sharp I don't even bother thinking about getting any others. Things to focus on, primary edge, secondary edge, and thinning the blade. I wound up getting an angle cube so I can set my edges perfectly every time.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I watched a bunch of videos today. I’m going to try sharpening my cheapo slicer first

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Primary edge? Secondary edge? Wow, I have so much to learn. Here's what I do: knife not sharp, make knife sharper than it was, happy.

That gift is on point. She’s a cut above.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        You’re pretty sharp witted ....

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Living on the edge.

Did you get their whetstone? I think these knives are made in the traditional Japanese style; only one side is sharpened.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        According to the Edge Pro folks, you can sharpen Kamikoto knives with their stones.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like your all set. Enjoy. They are beautiful.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Bkhuna I just told my wife that they are so beautiful I’m scared to use them. I know all about my Wusthof knives, but this is a whole different level.

Yowza nice find under the tree.
      I am still looking under the tree for something with my name on it.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Edge Pro has a couple of videos that will help shorten the learning curve. I’ve had mine for a few years and have been extremely pleased with their performance. Keep the stones clean and wet during use.
          I would recommend putting blue painters paint on the blade body to prevent the slurry from scratching the surface as you move the knife back and forth along the support. I neglected to do so when sharpening my Chefs knife and it irritates me that I neglected to do so.
          Congratulations on a great gift!
          Last edited by Yohawk; December 26, 2020, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the tips! I was wondering how to protect the beautiful blades on these knives, now I know. :-)

Nice. I have the Edge Pro myself. The blue tape and a black sharpie are two essentials for using the system.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Just sharpened my cheapo slicer with it ..... amazing!

Oh snap! 💕💕💕 🔪🔪🔪

Comment

Those just "look" badass! Great job by your wife. How long are they supposed to hold up between sharpenings?

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              From what I’m reading, 6 months to a year of daily home kitchen use

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              They do look badass. These are a step above for sure

That's a great gift! You are a very lucky man.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here