Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review of the Fireboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lonnie mac Had the best mount for the Fireboard I've seen yet, Attjack it would look great on that 6x.

Comment

While the ribs were cooking on Sunday .... hanging out with friends ..... a little advertising never hurts

Click image for larger version

Name:	6C511F60-C299-47C7-943C-88E40A4BA50F.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	375321

Comment

I got my Fireboard a couple of weeks ago, and have only had one occasion to use it. From this brief use, I was very impressed. I live out in the country and my wifi is pretty bad. I had some problems with the Fireboard losing or dropping the wifi signal. I eventually moved my grill about 10 feet and it pretty much solved the problem.
        Compared to the Smoke which I had lots of problems with signals traveling from the Smoke unit to the receiver the Fireboard was a lot better.

I really like the ability to graph temperatures. I bet a lot of folks will get a real eye opening experience relative to temperature fluctuations over the span of their cook. I know I was!! My pellet grill is a Traeger Lil' Tex Elite. I believe mine has the first generation digital controller. The entire ambient temperature graph was a series of peaks and valleys, with the temperature differential probably averaging 25-30 degrees. While the meat probe temp was very linear, it was disappointing to see how much the ambient temperature fluctuated. Without the Fireboard, I might have speculated that the temperature was fluctuating, but could not actually see how bad it was.

I am very happy with the Fireboard. Not taking away from the Smoke as it is a very nice digital thermometer, and as someone said above, for folks who just want to know what the meat temp as well as the ambient temp and want to know the "pull" temp, the Smoke is very adequate. The Fireboard adds another dimension with the capacity to monitor 6 probes as well as graphing all these parameters.

Comment

• Histrix
          Histrix commented
          Editing a comment
          A cyclical swing of temps is of no real importance. Kitchen ovens do the same thing. The Karubecue does the same thing. It's the average temperature that matters.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          As Histrix says, temperature fluctuations are not a big issue. In fact, you need to be careful not to chase the temperature. Stick your ambient probe in your oven. You're going to see temp fluctuations in there, too.

• choffert
          choffert commented
          Editing a comment
          When I told my wife I wanted a Fireboard, she told me where to stick the ambient probe...;-)

Check out those charts. Love the fireboard! Cooking two brisket flats, one on each grate of the WSM. Fireboard makes the stall completely obvious. Makes it obvious when you need to adjust airflow, add more heat, whatever the case may be.

Name:	9040202E-C17A-4216-A4C5-C0A780A538A4.png
Views:	404
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	424821

Comment

Interesting to see the difference in temps between the upper and lower grates.

Looks like you have a great cook going!

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            WSM is just solid, as always. And those brisket flats are humming along nicely.

ecowper, @Spinaker: First Eco You Need to Keep the Lid Closed or Those Brisket Flats Will Take 2 Days❓ Second I Honestly Believe the FireBoard Probes Record Temp Changes Faster Than My Classic ThermoPen Instant Read Thermometer‼️
          ☃🎄🎄 HAPPY HOLIDAYS 🎄🎄☃
          From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            They are pretty crazy that way

I just got the Fireboard cable and a BBQ Guru Pit Viper fan to go with my Fireboard. Going to see how goes one day this week.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            ecowper , ditto for my WSCGC.

• Sephon
            Sephon commented
            Editing a comment
            I've used the Pit Viper with the Fireboard and Drive. I felt guilty. It was so easy and so perfect. I was checking my pit from my treestand. Such an amazing combo and product.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Sephon if I could control my WSM from my phone while I was fishing .... well, that would be awesome.

I got the smoke and love it (Even bought another one as a gift to my brother) but had some trouble with the receiver due to distance and walls (Mainly overnight cooks) so I bought the Gateway. What a Piece of ......!. The app works when it wants, re-connecting is a nightmare, used it once and gave it away. Even though I'm handy with tech and love gizmos I cannot recommend getting the gateway for any sane person (Maybe if you wanted someone to have a headache...)

Between this review, the comments and that german guy with a fetish for grilling (Flo & Slow) showing a long dry run with the pit viper, fireboard and its cable for fan control. Even managed to convince my wife to spend $500 on the kit, fan, cable etc . So I'm getting the whole kit for Fireboard and whatever doubts I had, have been cleared with this... thanks

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Enjoy!

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            You're going to love that Fireboard, Rancherstriker . Sweet thermometer indeed, and works great. I'm adding the Pit Viper and cable to my WSCGC after the first of the year when I actually may have some time to play with it. I'm excited.

Kathryn

Guess I'll add in my two cents worth of information. After reading through all of this plus looking at the mounting link, I jumped on Customtrim's mount for the Fireboard control module. Several years ago I bought a cellphone holder for the truck cup holder, that really didn't prove very satisfactory and got tossed in the glove box. After seeing Customtrim's setup, I followed the basic idea but cobbled together a magnet for the base (salvaged off the base of light bars intended for the top of vehicles), fussed around on how to attach the two items, and came up with this solution: Click image for larger version

Name:	20171220_163822.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	426581

Comment

Couldn't add another photo in ^ so, some fabrication view

Name:	20171220_164012.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	426585Click image for larger version

Name:	20171220_164003.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	426586Click image for larger version

Name:	20171220_163848.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	426587

Comment

Never had a single issue with my case.

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	426597

Comment

• NWDave
                NWDave commented
                Editing a comment
                That's the comment post I was referring to in the other thread. Looks adequate BUT I'm not alone in liking gadgets that spiffy up my cooking gear.

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Love it!

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Best case EVER

Name:	Screenshot_20171230-180251 1.png
Views:	384
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	431790 Got my fireboard for Christmas and have used it three times so far. On Christmas I did a turkey and a ham in separate cookers, I did the most perfect halibut I've ever cooked, and today a brisket. Really interesting chart on that one. I put one probe in the thick point end, and one point in the thinner flat end. As you can see, the thin end reached the stall first, and slowed down to the point that by the time it reached 160 degrees, both ends were the same temp. and I crutched it. Cool stuff!

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                I love all the information I get from my Fireboard.

Just pulled the trigger on a Fireboard fan and drive cable. My wife is joking that when I’m on one of those international business trips, the day I fly home, she can get the WSM fired up, the brisket on, and I can "cook" it on the plane coming back from France or England .... LMAO

Comment

• Frank10231
                Frank10231 commented
                Editing a comment
                I love my Fireboard. I purchased the case that is offered for it also. The case has magnets to hold the Fireboard to anything metal or has a kick stand to put it on a shelf. Let me know how the fan controller works. Never used it in that way yet.

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                I will definitely add to this review once I have the drive/fan

It works well occasionally it drops Wi-Fi. It also sometimes requires a power cycle to get it up and running the fan. Once, it let me down mid cook. Temp dropped and the fan didn’t come on. Luckily I noticed it, manually activated the fan, waited then set the fan to auto and it was rock solid after that. Seemed like it was in some kind of idle mode. No less reliable than any other I’ve used.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C8D4FA4D-E169-4FD4-8629-3CABE7263032.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	103.3 KB ID:	495856

Comment

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                Using a pit viper fan. The fireboard fan is just a re-branded auber model. It’s definitely the drive feature not the fan since all the drive cable does is send a voltage. The thermos always read but seems like sometimes I just have to reset To get the drive function working.

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                Also it is rock solid control as you can see when it’s working.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting, I have the same setup as Polarbear777 and have had zero issues. Hope it stays that way !!

You had me at Fireboard!

Lol great write up!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here