Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review of the Fireboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How wide is the temperature probe where the spring and coupler are? Reason I ask is that I made a mod to my Weber Kettle so I thread my current Maverick probes through a light fixture nipple so I'm not running them through the lid or crimping the cable between the lid and base.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I do like Histrix on my Hasty-Bake and WSM .... feed the cable from the inside to the outside. The probes are too large to easily got through the grommets put in place for Maverick probes.

• phoccer
      phoccer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Histrix. Might be a little large for my current opening so I'll have to ponder the change.

• sorensen_j
      sorensen_j commented
      Editing a comment
      phoccer I had drilled holes on my Weber kettle for my maverick probes, but the Fireboard's probes were much too large for those openings. I bought a replacement thermometer grommet for a WSM (Weber p/n 85037) for about 15 bucks. I drilled that in (1 1/8" hole) and they fit through there no problem.

Thought I'd throw a pic of another cook up. Fireboard data visualization is pretty awesome. Cooking 3 slabs of bacon today. This is the website view, not an iPad/iPhone app. You can see where I'm heating the WSM up to temp, when I put the meat on, and now I've got the channels labeled so that we know what's what. Helpful when I pull these three slabs of bacon to be able to remember what's what.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 12.28.15 PM.png
Views:	172
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	283607

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome graph

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      I love that you can add detailed notes in the website view. Does the iPad/iPhone version share this capability?

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      kenrobin yes ... everything I did in the website, I can do in the iPad/iphone app (and I assume the android apps, also). I can rename my channels, add detailed notes, rename sessions, etc. Doesn't matter which version of the app I'm using.

And here's another shot of the web interface .... this time, the popup you see is because I put my mouse pointer at 12:44 and Fireboard gives me the details for each probe at that time. I can run along the graph and easily see the history of the cook.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 1.01.24 PM.png
Views:	152
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	283624

Comment

Came back on to the site after a long time away to ask a question about a pork butt, and see all of this - WOW! Had purchased a Maverick but have yet to use it -- this Fireboard looks way easier and more useful.

Comment

PSULion ... I love my Maverick ET-732 and use it routinely to this day. But the Fireboard is all that I have said in this review. It's awesome!

Comment

• PSULion
          PSULion commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks -- will look into it and may just treat myself to a Firebird

ecowper Sweet! I'm hoping to pickup the Extreme package in a few weeks.

Comment

Does the Fireboard run off a rechargeable battery or does it need to be plugged in while using?

Comment

• Histrix
            Histrix commented
            Editing a comment
            Has a built-in rechargeable battery.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Histrix beat me to it .... yes, rechargeable. It's a mini USB port, so you could use a USB to mini USB cable and charge from your computer, actually. Or use the enclosed charging cable.

Thanks so much. All the information on this thread has really been helpful. I'm ordering tonight.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad we could help. If there is anything you want to know, or need any input, just ping me anytime!

Great write up and comments. So if price was not a factor, it sounds like most of you would pick a fire board over a thermoworks smoke?

Comment

• Histrix
            Histrix commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that anyone that wants the Smoke AND its extra WiFI Gateway should really take a good look at the FireBoard.

My opinion, is the fireboard all the way. I love everything bout mine. Havnt had a problem with mine yet. Don't have a smoke so can't say it's better or worse. I did see a post about the probes on the smoke glitching, but also some about the fireboard also. But it seemed as if the smoke had a little more problems. But a lot of people the have a smoke like it also. I like the 6 prob option on the fireboard. Well worth the investment.

Comment

jgreen Nope, not a price issue at all. Because what Smoke and Fireboard give me are so different that price isn't a factor. :-)

Comment

• Chiefsilverback
              Chiefsilverback commented
              Editing a comment
              Can you expand on this statement? Is it that for a 'simple' cook the Smoke is preferable?

Cooking a pork butt on the WSM today ..... Here's the Fireboard chart ..... love how you can see the stall so clearly.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 1.47.00 PM.png
Views:	166
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	299191

Comment

I love that too. I have one going as well. Same deal!!! I adjusted the temp from 240 to 225 F. I love how you can see exactly when you opened your lid too.

Name:	Fireboard: 225 F .PNG
Views:	151
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	299208

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                hahaha, Yep. Now I might go up too 275 F just to get it done before you!

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                I didn't know it was a race

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                hahaha, its not. I just lowered it down to 225 F. Gonna see how long it will go. ecowper

Chiefsilverback to expand on my statement above ....

The Smoke gives me a really good quality 2 probe digital thermometer. It is good quality probes, good quality base unit, and a nice RF based remote monitor. ANd very easy to use. It's a huge step up from the Maverick ET-732 for a small step up in price.

The Fireboard gives me a really good quality 6 probe digital thermometer and it has good quality everything. But THEN it adds on wireless connection, monitoring on my smartphone no matter where I am and maintaining data on every cook I've ever done.

It's really a very different system. The Smoke is a high end, traditional BBQ digital thermometer. The Fireboard is a high end BBQ digital thermometer that can be monitored from anywhere, anytime and maintain all your data, ever.

They do two different things. Comparing the price of the two without realizing you are comparing apples to oranges ... well, I think that's pointless.

Comment

ecowper Thanks for outlining the differences, I guess the question I would have is when do you think "I won't use the FireBoard today, 'just' the Smoke", or do you sometimes use them together to get the easy instant read of the Smoke with a nice clear display vs fishing your phone out of a pocket, but still have the detail and the data logging of the Fireboard?

I currently have the two probe ThermoPro unit and I sometimes find myself wanting for more monitoring capacity, e.g. when I put a Dutch oven of oil on the burner for frying. Similarly when I brought my top round in at the weekend to put it into the faux cambrau it would have been nice to plug the probe into a device in the house to monitor the temp. That was the driver for my question about probe compatibility. With the Smoke I could bring it in and just connect the probe to a Dot, although it wouldn't solve my problem about wanting more than two probes at the grill!

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Since I've got the FIreboard, I have not broken out my Maverick at all. I don't own a Smoke, so I can't say if I would use it sometimes if I had one. Sorry, probably not helpful?

• Chiefsilverback
                  Chiefsilverback commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks ecowper, I got the impression you had both and had use cases where one is preferable to the other.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here