Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSCG Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSCG Worth it?

Hello all, I have been dreaming of getting a WSCG for some time now. (The original, not the newer kamado.) I have an opportunity to purchase one on Facebook marketplace new in the box, with cover, for $1250. Would it be worth it? The grill itself is $1499 on Amazon. Does Weber warranty apply if you purchase from a third party?
    I need some help here. Talk me into or out of it! MCS burns!!!

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

if you want it and it’s at a price you like, and it’s the original, why not! That way you don’t end up with a second gen that you didn’t want later on??? Just a thought.

I don’t have one of these particular cooks, but I do like to help ease MCS

Comment

I love mine. Perfect size. Most versatile grill around. Can use as a kettle or Kamado. Can smoke, direct grill, two zone with ease.

I think it is better than a Kamado because it can be set up to function the same way. Made of metal won't break. The fire grate can be set at two different levels, low for Kamado cooking high for kettle cooking.

The only thing is it may have less heat retention than a ceramic but I have not tested this. Ceramic may have different thermodynamics than insulated steel as well such as higher moisture retention but that is just guesswork.

Hands down the most versatile grill I have ever used. It is the One Grill to Rule Them All.

Comment

Do it! I previously owned a WSCGC unit, it’s a terrific cooker. So versatile. I replaced it with a Primo XL because I wanted a custom table. I can tell you that temp adjustments on the Summit are more responsive. I like to compare the two cookers to a yeti cup and a ceramic coffee mug. The yeti keeps my coffee warmer longer.

There are days I wish I had my summit back but then I look at my table and remember why I did it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder77 View Post
          Hello all, I have been dreaming of getting a WSCG for some time now. (The original, not the newer kamado.) I have an opportunity to purchase one on Facebook marketplace new in the box, with cover, for $1250. Would it be worth it? The grill itself is $1499 on Amazon. Does Weber warranty apply if you purchase from a third party?
          I need some help here. Talk me into or out of it! MCS burns!!!
          YES - I would do that. MUCH MUCH cheaper than new, even than the new lower cost version.

I am not sure about the warranty part. I was gifted a Weber grill in the past, never had any questions when I called them other than the serial number of the grill. I gave my son a new Weber Spirit as a gift, but then again, I also gave him the receipt as proof of purchase if warranty ever came up.

Comment

Best cooker I've ever owned. If I only had to have one the WSCG would be it.

Comment

When I needed a new regulator for the starter on my WSCG I had to send them a copy of my receipt.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                And that may be where this third party purchase would bite you. The 2002 Genesis I was given came with the original store receipt taped to the manual, so I was golden.

If I new then what I know now, I'd jump on it. For me I'd splurge for the carted version. I just can't justify it having a 26 and 22 kettle with fans and all the SnS gear. All that combined probably still doesn't add up to what the carted version costs, but it would at least be more justifiable. I figured that the 26 gives me more capacity anyways until someone pointed out the fact that with the diffuser plate you can use the whole 24 inches of the WSCG as opposed to how much the SnS takes away from the 26" grate.

So what I meant to say is get it!

Comment

Thunder77 Just curious, what is the reason you would choose the WSCG over their new kamado? I hear they're fixing the wobbly legs. If that is fixed, is there something the WSCG can do that their kamado can't? I ask because I'm doing research on a new grill, and noticed that you can't get the WSCG on the weber website anymore. After reading your thread, I realized that I can still go to amazon to get the WSCG if I want. Would appreciate what you and others have to say. Thanks!

P.S. I hope I'm not hijacking your thread. If you feel I am, apologies, and I will happily start a new thread with my question.

Comment

• Smoking77
                  Smoking77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  kenrobin Good to hear your replacement is coming soon. Looking forward to your video.

• kenrobin
                  kenrobin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Smoking77 Thanks, unfortunately the vendor that is supposed to be assembling my replacement grill & delivering it to me has dropped the ball. Weber confirmed that he has had it since Jan. 22 but he has not contacted me yet. Weber said they would follow-up. I will make the video if I ever receive it LOL.

• Smoking77
                  Smoking77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  kenrobin Ugh, that's frustrating.

If you want it, and since you're asking this you DO, I say get it! Ask them if they have their original receipt though.

Comment

I have the WSCGC (cart with table). Love it! Very efficient and versatile. If I could only own one grill, the WSCGC would be it hands down!!

Comment

I hope by the time you have read this, you would have already purchased it by now.

Comment

I, like others here, really love my WSCGC. It’s both incredibly versatile AND relatively easy to use.
                      Want a fairly large grill? It does that. And it handles two-zone cooking with ease.
                      Want to smoke something for hours/overnight? It does that.

Is it worth it? I don’t regret paying full price for mine.

Comment

• glitchy
                        glitchy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well said. I scored a very minor deal on mine, but dollar for dollar my WSCG grill has been worth every penny spent. The only other grills out of the MANY I’ve had I can say that about are the Silver A I got about 20 years of regular use out of and the CampChef pellet I snagged for $270 new.

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        glitchy hip hip hooray for the Silver A! Mine is 19 years old, and still looking and working good. It's now on my daugher's back porch.
                        Last edited by jfmorris; January 26, 2021, 09:01 AM.

I have the WSCG and really like it. It is a good winter cooker with the insulation and maintains constant temperatures. I was able to land mine for $749 in April of 2019 because the store just couldn't sell it at full price. I also started a thread asking Pitmaster members if I should pull the trigger at that price point. That was a dumb question let me tell you. The pressure to go for it was intense and I eventually did. Looking back I have no regrets. It is my go to unit for grilling and I use it a lot for smoking. I also have the PBC which I equally enjoy, but it is not as good for grilling. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I love the gas ignition. I use it all the time. It's nice not to have to fire a chimney up.

Kathryn

• bep35
                        bep35 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I rarely use the gas ignition as I am generally cooking with charcoal in the upper position and it seemed too far away for the igniter to be of much use. Possibly I need to rethink that.
                        Last edited by bep35; January 27, 2021, 08:56 AM.

• surfdog
                        surfdog commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thunder77 The gas lighter is handy but not strictly necessary. I rarely use it to be honest. In the upper position (kettle mode) it seems a bit faster to simply use my chimney. In the lower position (smoker/kamado mode) it works much better...but it’s also easy enough to simply light a number of briquettes in the chimney. It’s the only feature that I would probably not miss.

Thank you for all the replies to my post. I have decided that I am not going to purchase the grill after all. I lost my sense of smell after my bout with Covid in November. It doesn’t seem worth it to spend that much money on a grill when I can’t even smell the smoke coming from it. I haven’t smelled anything much since the 18th of November, and I now have little hope of my sense of smell returning. I no longer see the point of buying a grill. Sorry for bothering you all.

Comment

• surfdog
                        surfdog commented
                        Editing a comment
                        FWIW, it took my SIL several months to get hers back. Her sense of taste took quite a long time a well.

• RAGBBQ
                        RAGBBQ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Don’t give up. Praying that your sense of smell will return!

• Thunder77
                        Thunder77 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        RAGBBQ, thank you!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here