Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First cook on the Weber Summit Charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First cook on the Weber Summit Charcoal

My Weber Summit Charcoal has arrived, and yesterday I fired it up for the first time. I had bought a piece of belly pork and decided to try Meathead's Succulent Smoked Pork Belly Burnt Ends.

Impressions of the WSG
    This is a quality piece of kit, well put together and with considerable attention to detail. The instructions were good and it took me and the wife about 2 hours to assemble on a sunny autumn afternoon, taking our time. Although the WSG is certainly large, it is not anywhere near as intimidating as the ceramic kamado I once I had. It doesn't have that sense of tremendous heft and the feeling that it could all come crashing down and break into pieces. The WSG can be moved around without effort. The WSG's lid needs some effort to open, but my wife can do it easily. It stays open well and closes with a satisfying "whuff" of air.

Once I had got the charcoal lit and in the WSG, the temperature ramped smoothly and quickly. I started closing the upper vent at about 120 F and managed to slow it fairly quickly. It did overshoot slightly to 248 F, but by the time it got to 230 F it was pretty stable and the temperature was rising only very slowly. I think the key next time will be to ramp it more gradually by closing the vents more quickly. Once the WSG stabilized, the temperature was rock-solid. I am using a ThermoPro TP20 and the WSG's thermometer seems to be very close to that of the TP20.

I started the cook at a bit before 4 PM and I finished at 9 PM, and closed down the cooker. When I checked today there was still between 1/3 and 1/2 of the chimney of charcoal left unburned. I am surprised by how economical it was.

The WSG seems to be a very forgiving device. This was my first cook using this kind of cooker in more than a decade, but it still gave great results. The meat was juicy and tasty, far better than the belly pork we have done in the oven. Any errors were my own, rather than stubbornness on the part of the WSG.

Lessons learned
    - Do not put the grate thermometer right next to the meat. I immediately experienced the "meat shadow" effect.
    - Do not absent-mindedly try and adjust the position of the grate thermometer with your bare hands while cooking.
    - Do keep a bowl of iced water somewhere near the cooker to treat minor burns.

Next time
    When I next cook this recipe I will probably tweak it a bit. I found the balance of the glaze to be biased towards sweetness, which is not unusual with US recipes, rather than having that salty-sweetness that I was looking for. I also need to do a better job of the rub. I did not have any dry ginger powder, so I used a ginger paste, which immediately made mixing it more difficult, so the rub did not go on as smoothly as I had hoped. Nor did there seem to be enough of it.

It also had a bit of a "hammy" taste. Perhaps I used too much smoke?

Tomorrow we're going to try pizza. After that I would quite like a leg or shoulder of lamb. I have the slow 'n sear, so I'm thinking a long indirect cook followed by a brutal sear.

Thank you to everybody for their advice, and for the knowledge on this forum, which was crucial in helping me make my decision.

My apologies for the rather poor photos - my phone is not great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	weber.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	405698

Name:	pork.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	405699

Name:	cut.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	405700

Great review, thank you. The Summit Charcoal is on my long-term wish list. Great looking food too!

Comment

Thanx for the detailed review. The WSCG is at the top of my wish list.

Comment

Sshh, don't tell anybody: it's actually a kamado in drag!

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha Ha !!! Actually its a totally different animal, double wall with an air pocket in between instead of ceramic. Easier to adjust temps. Defiantly on my short list of cookers to own.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          But not so different. From what I've seen in terms of commentary, it has all of the good aspects of a kamado, and addresses a bunch of the bad ones.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that's funny!

Congrats! And great pics.

Comment

Congrats!
          Great lookin' food, an' nice walkthrough!
          Cheers!

Comment

Congratulations and thanks. I’ve had the WSCGC at the top of my MCS list. This review helps cement it in that position!

Comment

You will learn to LOVE the WSCGC. I can tell you the thing rocks. Such a pleasure to cook on. You will find that loading it up to the brim with the diverter plate installed, the thing will cook for two days solid. There has been a time or two where I cooked one night, then went out the next night and cooked again still rocking at 225. I should be on here more often praising it's virtues, but I look at these things as tools. It works!

I have the FireBoard fan cable and the Pit Viper now, and it's a blast using it!

Comment

Originally posted by lonnie mac View Post
                I have the FireBoard fan cable and the Pit Viper now, and it's a blast using it!
                Great to hear that. Having used the WSC just the once I can already see the attraction in being able to see an ongoing record of the temperature for the whole cook. Currently looking at the CyberQ, the Flame Boss 300 and the Fireboard with a fan. The price seems to work out roughly the same in each case. The problem is hashing out the pros and cons. I'm hoping that some crazy person who owns two (or three!) of these will do a comparative review...

Comment

• Psinderson
                  Psinderson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't worry...there's lots of "crazy" people around here! (I will probably be one of them!)

ruralcooking , when you look at the CyberQ, the Flame Boss 300 and the Fireboard be sure to factor in the number of probes that come with each system. I recently did this, and the Fireboard won pricewise, hands down. YMMV with shipping to the UK, though. With 6 probes and the long cables, I can monitor two smokers at once. At least that's the plan.

I love my WSCGC . It is such fun to talk "kettle talk" with some folks here and "kamado talk" with others, learning new tips and techniques. It's also fun to play with the SnS/DnG along with it to optimize kettle smokes and to get the best sear ever. I haven't had a bad cook on it yet. It's almost too easy to run.

When I first got it, I used Harry Soo's Donut Method to light the coals in kamado mode, but now I just turn the Snap Jet gas ignition system on for 5 minutes and let her go. No chimney. Easy as pie. I start backing the vents down when I'm about 75 degrees from my target temperature. I prefer smoking in the 250-275 range, but have used the WSCGC in the 225° range as well, and it holds temperature nicely. It's a great poultry cooker too, holding temps stable at 340-350° or so. I haven't been able to get hotter than that yet but haven't really tried.

And, as lonnie mac says, it's a real miser with charcoal.

Another nice feature is that you can cook with either briquettes or lump and get great results. I've only tried lump once (using up a bag) and was happy with the results--nice steady temps.

It's a thoughtfully-designed beast. Enjoy cooking on it!

Kathryn

Comment

• lonnie mac
                  lonnie mac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The WSCGC is a BEAST in it's own right. It has become my Go-To cooker for sure. I have given my ole Performer away to my Son along with a LOT of goodies. I am down to my WSCGC and my ole stick burner, and well my WSM and the Texas Pit. But still, that's my main grill these days.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OK so now its on my short, short, short list !!!! The BBQ toy store I frequent for supplies and propane has all the Webers and I always gravitate to the WSCG. Of course She Who Must Be Obeyed would probably leave me after just buying a pellet pooper. Oh the MCS bug, will it ever leave me be ......

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh, go ahead and get it, Troutman . She can't stay mad forever, especially when you serve her delicacies from the WSCGC. Life's too short to stay grumpy. That's my motto, or one of them.

K.

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                It's also fun to play with the SnS/DnG along with it to optimize kettle smokes and to get the best sear ever.
                Thank you for that advice Kathryn. I am very much looking forward to playing with the new toy. I will, as you say, look carefully at the probe count.

I'm using the SnS right now, warming up the grill for some sausages for lunch. Have you had any luck trying to light briquettes in the SnS using the Snap Jet? In the instructions for the SnS it gives this as one of the options, but it didn't work for me. I left the SnS for about 15 minutes but the briquettes did not seem to be igniting.

Eventually I just put a dozen briquettes in a chimney and put that over the Snap Jet and that worked a treat - glowing coals in 5 minutes. I poured them into the SnS and that was it.

Comment

ruralcooking I've never tried using the SnapJet to light briquettes in the SnS. Yay, something else to fiddle with!

I do just as you have--use the SnapJet to light the chimney. Easy peasy and all the mess stays in one place.

Speaking of mess the only thing I don't like about the WSCGC is the time it takes to clean after each cook. I've been spoiled by the Pit Barrel Cooker which cleans up in under 5 minutes if I don't use the grate. Cleaning all the gunk off the WSCGC's grate (even after leaving it over a hot fire to burn stuff off), scraping the inside walls with a plastic pot scraper, getting the ash out, brushing down the insides with a wide clean paintbrush, wiping down that pretty black exterior surface--it takes an hour or more. But then I like my smokers and grills clean as a whistle. They're my babies.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                    Cleaning all the gunk off the WSCGC's grate (even after leaving it over a hot fire to burn stuff off), scraping the inside walls with a plastic pot scraper, getting the ash out, brushing down the insides with a wide clean paintbrush, wiping down that pretty black exterior surface--it takes an hour or more.
                    Blimey. And I thought I was doing well to give the grate a 2-minute scrub in the utility room sink! Your dedication is admirable.

Comment

If You People of "The Pit" Don't Quit Stroking My MCS, I'm Going Have to Start a Go Fund Me Site❓❓ 💸🤔☹️🤔💸
                      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'll contribute, Danjohnston949 . I wouldn't want you to suffer.

Kathryn

• Danjohnston949
                        Danjohnston949 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        fzxdoc, You're a Sweat Heart, Kathryn❗️ I don't Care what Your Husband Says‼️ I better Check this Out With Eunice❓ I've Owned Her for 44 Years but SomeDays She Seems a Bit Sensitive❓
                        Thank You for Your Kind Thoughts‼️ 🤗😇🤗

OMG

Danjohnston949 Brilliant!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                        Danjohnston949 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hugh, Thank You❗️, It Was the Best I Could Do On Short Notice‼️ 🤗😇🤗

• Hugh
                        Hugh commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You folks got any white stuff down there yet? Winter wonderland up here this morning.

• Danjohnston949
                        Danjohnston949 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hugh, We Had 1" - 3" of Snow Overnight ❗️ 35* F Right Now❓ Possible Rain Forcast for Fargo Tonight👎👎👎👎👎

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here