Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for ground Elk chili recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for ground Elk chili recipe

I bought a couple pounds of ground Elk a while back from Wild Fork and need a good chili recipe. Please share if you have one. I appreciate it!

I don’t see why you can’t substitute elk for beef in this recipe Fritz;

Before I was the Troutman and just a wet behind the ears lad of 25, I moved to the great State of Texas not knowing what to expect. After coming here, there were two things I was quickly indoctrinated into; barbecue and chili (well Lone Star beer if you want to count that too). If asked, I’m sure most folks would say that

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to do just that, thanks brother!

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I was trying to find a way to say this without sounding like a smarta$$. Sorry, Fritz, too many years at a firehouse, but I'm trying!

Unless the ground elk has had fat added you may find it to be quite lean and require you to add some fat, fortunately you can make the chilli and then decide. Bacon fat would make a nice addition. Troutman's recipe is one of the best.

Comment

1. Brown the elk meat ~1lbs.
      2. Add a can of pinto beans
      3, Add a can of black beans
      4. Add 1 package of chilli seasoning
      5. Add 1 can of diced tomatoes
      6. Simmer a few minutes

Serve with Jiffy mix cornbread and PBR.
      Last edited by bbqLuv; January 20, 2022, 09:06 PM.

Comment

I can vouch that elk meat is awesome, but really lean. You'll want to use some oil to brown it, but after that - just make the chili! I'm not a big fan of adding bacon fat to it, since I like the elk meat flavor. Don't get me wrong - I love bacon!! I just think it hides the elk a little.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here