Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast/Pulled Beef taco ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post

I think PappyBBQ hit the nail on the head, doctorak . In the past there have been several reports here of PBC users setting their charcoal up the night before, only to have unsatisfactory burn results the next day. I have sometimes poured and stored the basket and the chimney in sealed Rubbermaid tub overnight just to get a bit of a head start the next day. It's not that humid where I live, but even the little bit of humidity in the air affects my charcoal. I also store my bags of charcoal in sealed Rubbermaid tubs in the garage.

Also, although the PBC can hold large amounts of meat, it does so at the expense of the "set and forget" philosophy. All of that meat and all of the moisture + drippings it produces makes keeping temps where your want them more of a challenge. My hat's off to you for doing 8 chuckies. I've done 5 in the past, and that was a squeaker, firewise, causing some temperature-babysitting but not too much. Eight is a lot, but you did it! Congrats!

Your cook looks awesome. You and your wife are quite a good team, getting such a delicious-looking spread on the table. Thanks so much for sharing the process and the photos.

Kathryn
    Thanks Kathryn. My wife is indeed a great teammate for these parties we throw, and I'm sure she appreciates that I now handle the cooking of the various proteins so she can put together awesome spreads like that.

As for the charcoal, I've been storing it in this storage seat outside: https://smile.amazon.com/Suncast-SSW...6XQF3P4Z2R1QZW

It is definitely closed to the elements, but probably doesn't keep humidity out. You have me thinking maybe I should throw it in something more sealed like the Rubbermaid you use.

I'm assuming this only applies once the bag is open, correct? Sealed bags shouldn't give me any issue?

Comment

Actually, doctorak , I don't think sealed charcoal bags are impervious to high humidity. After all, they're just paper bags. I store all my charcoal, sealed or unsealed bags, in those big sealed Rubbermaid tubs.

FWIW, I've driven past the local Dollar Store and seen bags of charcoal for sale, piled up on the sidewalk, with a rainstorm moving in. It always makes me wonder how damp the stuff is when I buy it from Sam's Club, Lowes, etc. So since I only have control over the bags once they're purchased, I try to keep them in as dry an environment as possible.

Kathryn

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I suspect you're right!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here