Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

side by side with pulled pork regular vs sv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuke em I've been wanting to do this same test cook. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I do 8-9 hours at 165. Shock and then smoke at 280 in the Primo Oval Junior for about 2 hours to get some bark. (any cooker will do, but I don't need a water pan with Junior.) After two hours I dial the temp back to about 230, until it's probe tender.
      We all love it that way, and I may just never do it any other way ever again.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks thunder 77 .

K.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent reference material, I greatly appreciate yer sharin with us!

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        more and more to think about! Love it!

Very interesting and how does the meat turn out with a 8-9 hour sv water bath?

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        It comes out very fork tender and moist. Not too soft, not too steak-like. Pulls well.

The "smokey" taste could be something else altogether. People are not very good at tasting and worse at describing what they taste. And tasters use ALL the evidence available and that means they notice things like the smoke ring. I would dismiss the comments as random data. Next time use a panel of 20 experienced Certified BBQ judges and blindfold them. Ha!

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Well I can tell the difference between ice cream and vinegar, do I qualify?

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Potkettleblack Bbq judges don't tell you what's good, they simply rate each offering on a point scale, and the offerings with the highest totals win. There are pros and cons to that system of judging, but apparently those in the know feel that's the most unbiased way. Me? I compare, I Like A & D better than B&C, but D's best... that kind of thing. but KCBS judges can't do that

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        So, certified BBQ judges are better at objective rating, but cannot tell you which you will enjoy better. Ergo: for my personal preferences, or even that of my guests, we'll take our subjective opinions, and maybe not worry about the objective truth of smokiness or unctuousness.

Two types of tasting:
      1) Objective description. Strong garlic, mild smoke, noticeable sweetness.
      2) Subjective evaluation: Too much garlic, not enough smoke, way too sweet.

Comment

Nuke em Quite frankly this has been one of the best threads that I have read in awhile. Thanks for posting. Learned tons.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup!! Great post!!

Many flaws with BBQ judging systems. Don't get me started. That's why I haven't judged in years. But my point is that people who judge wine will be better at saying if it is high tannin, high acid, sweet, etc. than civilians. People who judge BBQ will be better at saying if one sample is smokier than another. In other words, without knowing your relatives, and this makes my statement iffy, I am saying that their judgement that one is smokier than another is questionable. That perhaps there were other taste sensations that they mistook for smoke. Then again, if they are all very experienced BBQ tasters, maybe they are right.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Kinda like It is unless it isn't, but then again maybe?

Nuke em Very interesting read. To date, I have only used SV for small, single serving kind of things like pork chops, vegetables, etc. I've always considered getting the CFO to let me buy some bigger water containers, but never pursued it. I think I may approach that now, because, why not?

I don't know that I would need to store and SV reheat any leftovers. Also, I lead a somewhat carcinogenic lifestyle, and sometimes (usually?) crack the ziploc bag open and toss it in the microwave. Did I just say that out loud?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here