Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

side by side with pulled pork regular vs sv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found yer experiment interestin, an informative, Brother.
    Do I souz vide? Nope.

I simply haven't developed even a slight twinge of interest in doin so, but I read alla th sv posts, so's that I can learn how other folks is doin stuff...

Mebbe, one day, I will decide to try this cookin method, an I will have had th distinct honour, an privilege of havin had multiple, extremely detailed, an comprehensive free lessons, from some folks who are obviously very experienced, an gifted in that regard.

Until then, it helps keep my brain happy, learnin...don't wanna stop, an have my Beloved Cowboy Hat start to slippin down over my ears!

Comment

• Nuke em
      Nuke em commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear ya brother, when I started seeing posts pop up I said phhhttttt no way. But over the years it turned into hmmm. What can I use that thingy for? A heated curling iron or something?
      Then it dawned on me, I could use it to reheat food without over cooking a cooked process.
      Another level of mcs I reckon...
      Like me, some are slower to jump on the bandwagon

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, one never knows what tomorrow might bring, right...???
      Let's us say, mebbe one day, I decide to give it a whirl...
      I will enter into it, armed with some of th best knowledge available on this earth, an knock it th Hail outta th park!
      I got nuthin against it, not even a phhhttttt...
      Jus ain't what I'm doin, nowadays...

Lol. Just thought about something. I member the ole days when they said the internet would never take off. And I agreed. They done did say it was just a phase

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      lol, I recall that!
      When I started on puters, they were roughly th size, an weight of a loaded boxcar, with vacuum tubes, point to point wirin, mechanical relays, etc...
      They had no screen, keyboard, or mouse...
      We fed em punch cards that we had entered our programmin onto, an they slowly shat ream upon ream of pin feed greenbar paper, in response...

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones, and the first punch card that had an error on it would shut the whole darn thing down. And of course, since it was a card with holes in it, you had to pretty much start over...

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      klflowers Yessir, we was a livin in th Golden Age of Computerin

Yes sir. Remember it like it was yesterday. Just like the printers with the holes on the side that was one continuous sheet. After ya printed out the pages, ya had to rip the side chads off. And the paper were in the boxes under the table feed into the printers

Comment

You did good, Nuke em. Ignore the folks who want to give you uninvited advice about what you did and how you did it. It's your money, your meat, your time, your smoker (and SV), and your game rules. Nuff said. I hope you don't feel discouraged about sharing your experiences in the future.

I for one am very interested in your results and I think it's cool that you got your relatives to give you a "blind" opinion about which meat they liked best. Well done!

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 ... and very well said.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Preach It, Sister!

• Brewmaster
        Brewmaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes

Thank you. I am perplexed about how they said they tasted more smoke in the sv then in the one that had more bark and was longer in the smoker. I am very confused about that. Maybe the bark hid/covered the smoke flavor? They were both fridge temp when they went onto the smoker. It sorta goes against everything that I thought or learned about the smoking process. I know smoke adheres to cold but I reckon I’ll have to play with it some more to find the answer

Comment

• SMOG MAN
        SMOG MAN commented
        Editing a comment
        I have heard/read some say the smoke before sous vide gets somehow a little concentrated in the bag... maybe some truth to that.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you read the recent article about dry and wet brining. My takeaway that dry brining improves bark but reduces smoke adherence.

Maybe the SV acted a bit like a wet brine after the dry, and allowed more smoke to adhere and penetrate.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Potkettleblack
        Maybe the SV acted a bit like a wet brine after the dry, and allowed more smoke to adhere and penetrate.
        Very interestin hypothesis, Brother...I eagerly look forward to more experimentation, in this regard, that we may all home in on some ideal methods utilizin this/these combined techniques, to produce an exceptional Final Product! Win-Win, all round, as I sees it...
        Thanks, Amigo!

Very nice! I've never done a side by side but I have done the sous vide-ice-smoke very similar to how you did. I do think it is more moist than the straight smoke version.

Comment

Now that is a great write up. Well done and well documented. Pictures add so much.

Comment

Thank you for the great write-up, Nuke em . I enjoyed reading your thoughtful approach to the comparison, and especially liked the impartial reviews of the results from your relatives. It's posts like this that make me happy to be a member here, learning from each other.

How long did it take to reheat those packs in the SV? Did you package the entire amount of each half in one bag or did you parcel it out for quicker reheating?

Kathryn

Comment

• Nuke em
            Nuke em commented
            Editing a comment
            I just made 2 packs. 1 was 3 lbs (sv) and the other was 3.4lbs. (Regular). I could tell which one was which due to the color of the bark. If ya look at the pic of the pork shredded, the plate on the bottom was the regular smoked one (darker bark)

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad you like your vacuum machine, Nuke em . I'm enjoying mine as well. So far so good!

There's a safety concern with reheating food with sous vide discussed on this topic:https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...nd-food-safety . Posts #8 and #16 summarize the safe approach.

I thought you might want to take a look at them, although you sure knocked it out of the park with this cook. Congrats and thanks again.

K.
            Last edited by fzxdoc; July 7, 2019, 06:13 AM.

• Nuke em
            Nuke em commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank ya for the information. Very interesting topic. Will definitely do more research on pasteurization.

I just got the chance to read this, excellent experiment. The results are a bit intriguing as well as unexpected, especially on the Smokey flavor side. These side by sides are interesting as well as fun to do, thanks for sharing.

I would like to offer a suggestion, ignore the haters and doubters who offer criticism based on personal ignorance. Criticism of that sort is probably an indirect form of self boasting. I like this quote,

"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing."
          – Aristotle

I wish more people would heed these words. Keep experimenting with your cooking techniques. Use all the tools in the tool box. Share the results. It makes use all better bbq cooks. Thanks again for your efforts!!

Comment

Thank you for the write up. Because I cook fast like others (and I’m getting lazier) I don’t do butts in the SV.

There is something alluring about the pork be done before the ribs.

I may give it a whirl. After all it is pork and I can always use some of that.

im with fzxdoc on the reheat?? Big packs or small.

The tilt skillet and large bags works like a charm. Lower the lid and crank her up!

Thank you for taking your time so post this. I found it odd that you pre rubbed without pre smoking. That’s another thing that has me thinking about this and my next days off.

Comment

Excellent test and write up. I’m glad to see you picked a temp and never exceeded it in any step, that’s sort of key to getting an advantage.

I have QVQ done pulled beef many times but haven’t experimented with pulled pork. I suppose it’s about time.

Comment

• Nuke em
                Nuke em commented
                Editing a comment
                My next one by next weekend will be a brisket experiment

Great post and experiment. Love being able to get on here and read about everyone’s experiments. It’s gives us ideas to continue on with what you’ve done.

Thanks for tsking the time time to post the info.

Comment

Cool experiment!! I did break down and buy a sv thingy a while ago too.. these are the posts that I look for to learn how to do this stuff..thank you for taking the time to post this. If other people don't want to learn anyway outside of their tried and tested way of doing things I can't see the point in belonging to AR ..I have learned so much on this site from posts like this one.. looking forward to watching ya pull off the big cook.. please post with lots of pics because I will be watching for it!!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1

• Sweaty Paul
                  Sweaty Paul commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +2

Great experiment! I and my friends have been very pleased with my Joule/KBQ QVQ however haven't done pulled pork but will now. Thanks!

Comment

Nicely done, I am a big fan of side by side tests! I don't care if you smoke 300 lbs and SV 2lbs, or vice versa, you can taste test the difference side by side and that's what matters for a test.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here