Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib Roast Dilema, Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib Roast Dilema, Need Advice

I was tasked with doing the roast for Christmas Dinner this year, but due to a sick kitty I will not bet be trekking over the river and through the woods to Grandma's. My FIL's 75th birthday is the 26th (we got him sweat pants for Christmas and the matching shirt for his birthday) so Mrs. CaptainMike will be making the 5 hour trip over on Christmas morning.

My thought was on the 24th to smoke, sear, SV 130/6, then ice bath and fridge. I'll send along the thermopen with instructions to roast the roast in a 225' oven until IT of 120, pull and crank the oven to 500, re-season and sear till done, then serve. This is similar to what Spinaker shared in a previous post, but I would appreciate any feedback on this proposal. Potkettleblack EdF Troutman et al. Thanks!
    Last edited by CaptainMike; December 23, 2018, 11:45 AM.

Sounds like you won’t get any! Unless maybe there are some leftovers. I have not tried tried a two stage process but your method sounds like it should work well.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought a 7 rib and using half for the roast. I cut the rest into 2" rib steaks and will assuage my Christmas sorrow with one of those. Maybe a little for the cat too.

I think it's a strong game plan. Since the roast will already have been cooked, I might start the sear/oven cranking a little lower -- say 115 IT -- because I would be more concerned about over cooking the middle of the roast during the sear/cranking, especially if I had to give someone the important task of doing what I see as my job. My two cents, anyway.

I'm curious as to how much flavor you get out of re-seasoning. My biggest issue with the SV is that the seasoning ends up very muted.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      The lower temp was in the back of my mind as well, I'll adjust the instructions accordingly. Thanks for chiming in!

Please let us know how it goes. Been following all the threads about this subject as I have to do one this Saturday. Planning on the SV method as you described, chill, and then finish in the oven. Any hints or tips will be appreciated.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the wild card is that I won't be there to finish it.

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      I assumed you would be using telekinesis to remotely cook. If you have that power then I’m listening to anything you have to say.
      Last edited by Donw; December 23, 2018, 01:15 PM.

Spinnaker’s method is approved by me.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks PKB!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate the endorsement! Happy holidays, PKB. Gonna do it again tomorrow, brother. Got the roast prepped and ready to roll.

Sounds like they’ll be cooking it again, except for the smoke. So if you want smoke, I’d smoke it for an hour as low as you can, then season and chill. Have them put it in the 225 oven until the IT is 125 or so, or 120 if you have them sear. You might find it really doesn’t need a sear.

While I am normally a proponent of SV, if it’s a good roast and you’re slow cooking it at 225, I don’t think SV will buy you much and I’m guessing you’ll lose more moisture than from a single cook.
    Last edited by mgaretz; December 23, 2018, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Almost never the case that SV extracts more moisture. It’s just more noticeable because it doesn’t evaporate or drip on coals and boil off.

Either Norm King of Sous Vide Resources or Kosher Dosher did experiments to prove this.

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed, but I am saying that he's essentially doing two cooks, so that second cook will extract more moisture than a single cook.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Limited data:

Yields (from Ed’s limited experiments). These were from straight smoking on the BGE:

Chuck - 36%
      Boneless Butt - 34%
      Bone-in Picnic - 33%

Smoke, then SV:

Smoked 3 hours + 18 hours sous vide at 176F yielded 53% (SV & BGE hybrid method), boneless butts

All smoking was done at 225F.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. Plans have changed and I'm now going to do the RR on the Traeger with a cow crust paste tonight. Merry Christmas ya'll!

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      I used CC too - see my thread on Bonesy's Merry Xmas. I was thinking that a heat bath 'sear' doesn't do it, and was going to recommend CI.

Happy Holidays Mike!

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip JGo37, and a very Merry Christmas to you too.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here