Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pushing the frontiers of bbq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pushing the frontiers of bbq

Last bbq class we done the executive chef that works with me bought along sous vide beef tongue to toss in the pit and try out. It was excellent. I bought 3 tongues today and since i dont have a sous vide machine i cooked them slowly in a pot with some beef stock cubes. Checked the temp and were at 207 internal when I pulled it off the heat. Drained then put it in the freezer when it had cooled some. Peeled them then changed my mind and decided to brine them in corned beef style brine.Now they are soaking in the fridge until my next bbq class Saturday when I will bust some Mesquite smoke on em! I am calling out all you sous vide fans to step up and try smoked beef tongue.
    Attached Files

Looks pretty amazing. Lengua is common around here for tacos on Saturday. I think a pastrami tongue 👅 would make for good eating.

Comment

Ahumadora you finally posted one I won't be trying. I have had beef tongue before, and I guess I just couldn't get over the fact that it is... a cow tongue. Mind you, my Mom use to make chitterlings, and I loved them...

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, at least it's from the beginning of the alimentary canal.

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve R. good point. I tried tripe once and just was not good to me.

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        BBQRapper In Argentina we eat all the guts. Small intestine, large intestine, sweetbread, brains, liver, kidney... Most of that is better on the parrilla than the smoker though.

I won't lie and tell you it looks fantastic because to this observer it does not. But it's just not my thing but for others I bet their tongues are hanging out drooling!!

Comment

I'll give it a go next time I see it at the meat counter.

Comment

My grandmother and great aunt actually loved tongue, they ate it all the time. I have no idea how they cooked it, it obviously wasn't barbequed. Didn't much care for it myself, but it wasn't bad. Just not the texture I like from a beef product.

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            sous vide helps take care of the texture

Don’t be turned off by how it looks when cooking. Beef tongue can be good eating. I like mine sliced thin. 👅

Comment

It’s very popular in the Sous Vide group I do on Facebook. Or was a year or so ago. That and octopus.

Comment

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              I was hoping you would chime in. Any pointers on how it should be done? I am going to experiment with the rub and smoke part but probably just a salt n heavy pepper rub for now.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              You can blanche it to peel it, or peel it after Sous Vide. smoke first or smoke after, Sous Vide sth like 155x24 or so. Nice taco meat.

Uhhhmmmmm. Nope.... but thanks. 😬

Comment

Pickled tongue is a deli special sold right alongside corned beef and pastrami. it can be marvelous. But there is a mental block. I had a man work for me once who saif he'd never taste anything that could taste him back...

Comment

• lonnie mac
                lonnie mac commented
                Editing a comment
                Well brother, I am right there with that man!

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                Can you twist Clint Cantwell's arm to do a recipe for the website? Sous Vide Lengua.

I've made tongue only once - braised by the Julia Child method. But it was completely awesome! Tender like tenderloin, beefy like the beefiest thing you can think of.

Comment

I hope you enjoy, but it's just not for me...

Comment

I pickled one for an appetizer on Thanksgiving, and it was a hit. Pressure-cooked for 50 minutes, then peeled.
                  I used this recipe:

Comment

• Ahumadora
                    Ahumadora commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Biff it in the smoker with a beef rub on it for a bit.. Takes it over the edge!

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Would that be you eating said delicacy Dick Anderson in your avatar ??

• Dick Anderson
                    Dick Anderson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Those are some smoked sausages, hanging in the walk-in.

I LOVE beef tongue tacos! The most delicious beefy flavor you will ever have. There is a very authentic Mexican restaurant in Greensboro that serves lengua just right.

Comment

If Ahumadora says it's good, I believe it. But I would really have to work up to doing this.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You just have to get over the first aesthetic reaction. This is a very fine cut of beef.

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I vote we have the tongue channel. How many ways can you make it ??? Could be like Forrest Gump and shrimp !!!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here