Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Big Chill sous vide technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Big Chill sous vide technique

I'm planning to cook a couple of nice thick filets for me and the wife this weekend using the techniques in this article http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...big-chill.html

Am planning to smoke the chilled filets on the Big Green Egg to get up to 115 as the article indicates, then direct sear for the finish.

Question is, has anyone done this? Am looking for a rough time estimate for taking the filets from refrigerator to 115; will most likely set the egg up for 250 for the indirect smoking phase...

Probably about half an hour. Obviously you use the thermometer, not the watch. And as Meathead always suggests, follow the directions EXACTLY the first time around, then riff on it. My two cents: I don't think butter or olive oil in the Sous Vide bag helps. My biggest concern with Sous Vide is lost moisture (remember, tender and juicy are NOT the same thing). As I read elsewhere, tender is the amount of work your teeth have to do, juicy is the amount of moisture that you get while your teeth are working. I love BOTH! Meathead mentioned the moisture lost in the bag, and guessed it was minimal and close to what you lose on the grill. We need the scientists (Hey, Blonder!) to run tests. If we sous vide, then chill, then smoke, then sear, are we losing 2x 3x 4x moisture? It doesn't taste like it... Bear in mind I'm really proud of where I've gotten to grill wise, but I'm a sous vide rookie. I did steaks side by side, one sous vide and sear only, and one reverse sear only, and the whole gang agreed the smoky reverse seared steak was superior all around. That said, the sous vide, chill, reverse sear is probably the best of the best IF we don't lose too much moisture. Is it possible that butter or olive oil is pulling out MORE moisture in the sous vide process, or does it just appear to because of the presence of X amount of melted butter or oil? For now, I'm sticking with dry brining the meat well in advance, dry seasoning (like pepper and garlic powder) sous vide, chill, then reverse sear - indirect with smoke and then afterburner sear. Long disorganized answer to a short question. Pretty sure you're going to have an epic supper!

Comment

At 131x90m, you should not have a ton of purge in the bag. It's a gentle temp, so should keep the water and myoglobin where it belongs. If you were cooking hotter or longer, then purge volume can be a bigger issue. I get a lot when I do short ribs at 131x72h or when I do a chuck at 131x48 or something at 165x5h.

Shocking does not extract more liquid. smoking shouldn't extract much, and the quick sear should be on an already dried surface... reverse sear tends to produce a very fast sear due to the drying effect of the low temp cooking.

At to when you are putting butter or olive oil in the bag, it really depends on what your final process is going to be. If you're going to make a pan sauce or a reduction or something out of the purge, then flavor it up. If you are going to feed it to the dog, there's no real reason to butter/oil and certainly good reason not to herb.

Comment

Welcome bixatx! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thank you!

Comment

Welcome bixatx

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

Comment

I agree with no oil in the bag, I just don't get good results, (see Kenji on this...). I'm big on pre searing, most of the chemicals in the maillard reaction are water soluble and flavor the steak. A lot like searing meatballs your putting into sauce, it adds flavor. Don't go crazy because your going to sear in the end as well, but it won't take as much time and your crust will be that much thicker. With the big chill I would be sure not to flirt with too high of a temperature or it would defeat the purpose. Your cooking it twice so nailing the exact temp would be good but going over is like reheating leftovers over temp.

Comment

Thanks for all the good comments; I'm likely going to skip the oil for the hot tub portion of the cook; probably going with Meat Church's Holy Cow for seasoning...we've really liked that. will post comments on results.

Comment

I have dumb (maybe "uninformed" is a better word) question regarding SV/chill/grill technique. I've only been SVing for three months, but have had a lot of success with rib-eyes at 131o for two hours, then seared on a Kettle. Since "dinner time" often varies based on my working wife's (my pumping oil well) work schedule. I've tried to push the time in the water bath past the aforementioned two hours, and the choice steaks start to get a little mushy when the total time is over four hours... still good, but mushy.

When I read Meathead's "The Big Chill" article, http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...big-chill.html, it seemed to be my answer. Just do a two-hour cook in the morning (I'm retired); chill that puppy; pull it out of the fridge when she arrives home; and throw it on the Kettle or Grill Grates for finish. Perfect! I can do my kitchen work in the morning and have the rest of the day to play poker.

I've read the above article carefully, but still have my "uninformed" question. (I'll add that I vacuum seal my steaks for SV.) So, here goes...

After two hours, when I pull my vacuum sealed steaks out of the water, do I remove them from the bag before chilling them in the ice-water bath for thirty minutes, or can I just throw bag-and-all in the cold water? That may really sound dumb, but I don't want to un-bag the steak; pat it dry; chill for 30 minutes; pat it dry again; and reseal once more before popping it in the fridge... that's more work than it's worth in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to everyone's comments. Thanks!

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep, leave them in the bag!

• Meathead
                    Meathead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Please notice that the byline on The Big Chill is our new Lead Writer, Clint Cantwell. He is doing a DEEEEEEP dive on sous-vide-que and there will be more.

• Clint Cantwell
                    Clint Cantwell commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Rapid chilling then refrigeration is an amazing tool when you need flexibility in dinner time as I do with three kids who are coming and going at all times!

Lowjiber I'm far less enlightened an' informed re: SV than you.

That being said, I'd leave it sealed in th' plastic.

Jus' my ¢2 worth.

Jordan Tate: So who are you? Are you-you, like, some special forces guy or something?
                  Casey Ryback: Nah. I'm just a cook.
                  Jordan Tate: A cook?
                  Casey Ryback: [whispering] Just a lowly, lowly cook.
                  Jordan Tate: Oh, my God, we're gonna die.

Comment

Wow! Just finished my first Big Chill SV Cook. I read and reread all the comments on this thread prior to the cook. I also had re and reread the original post from Clint Cantwell which started this whole process, or at least refined it. I think my results turned out OK, but I may further tweak on the next one. I dry brined, then bagged and SVd at the proper temps of 131F and 144F. The latter temp because it was a double cut Berkshire pork chop. The other two were 45 day dry aged, the smaller one was an American Wagyu. Shocked for 30 minutes then put in freezer for another 10 as I wanted to make sure that it was thoroughly chilled. Fired off my grill using the leftover coals from previous PBC cooks. Used mesquite chunks with a little leftover kiawe. Then I put the SNS and grill grate to work. I was definitely satisfied with the smoke color, but next time I will season with salt and pepper before using the grill grate. I was a little disappointed in the eveness of the char, but I typically under salt do that I can add a finishing salt at the table.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by freddh; January 31, 2017, 05:00 PM. Reason: Wrong time for first shock.

Comment

• Clint Cantwell
                      Clint Cantwell commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Glad it turned out well! Quick question. Are you sure about the 10min ice bath/10 min freezer did enough to rapidly drop the core temp of the meat to a safe range of 34-38°F?

• vandy
                      vandy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Clint, how long would you recommend in the ice bath, I was thinking more like 30 minutes to an hour then in the fridge at 37 degrees until I am ready to finish them on the grill, which would be same day or next day at the most.

They look really good, thought. Just the seasoning an issue for you?

Comment

• freddh
                      freddh commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah I think so. Maybe I was a little premature in my self assessment.

They look awesome, freddh . I agree with you that a little finishing salt can help an underseasoned cut of meat. Better too little to start with than too much.

Kathryn

Comment

How was the pork chop? I prefer a lower temp on those. 135-137 or so.

You might consider a dry brine before the sous vide. You could also salt prior to sear. That sear is a thing of beauty.

Comment

• freddh
                        freddh commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I did dry brine the pork chop and both steaks. That's why I had a relectance to add salt before searing. Next time I will try a lower temp for the chop.

• Potkettleblack
                        Potkettleblack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I find wet brining pork chops to still be worth while. Meathead recommendation and I haven't looked back.

Wanted to circle back on this thread; this method turned out amazing results, and will be our go-to for that "special" steak celebration. It took about an hour to get the bigger filet from refrigerator temperature up to 115 in a 230-245 degree egg. Used a chunk of cherry for smoke and it was perfect. The steaks spent 90 minutes in the hot tub at 131, seasoned with Meat Church Holy Cow. At the end, seared direct on cast iron right over the coals. This was the best sous vide/egg combination cook we've ever done. Highly recommended. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0866.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	268881Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0868.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	268882Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0867.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	268883Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0869.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	268884

Comment

• Clint Cantwell
                        Clint Cantwell commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Awesome results!

• freddh
                        freddh commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Double down on awesome!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here