Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide: Rib Eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shy away from my rub with sugar when SV'ing. I't seems to overpower the other flavors and I'm left with a steak-pop. Like the advice above, I salt and pepper after. Also, I have had good luck with things after like a liberal coat of River Road's Blackened Seasoning. After taking the steak out and patting it, I melt butter over the steak and then rub the blackened seasoning on top so that it makes a paste. I then grill hot. You have to flip often. I never pre-butter a steak when I'm simply smoking/grilling.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post

Here is a thought.....And someone tell me if I am off base on this one......Can you SV at 115 F for an hour or so. Then take the steak out and sear it until the internal hits 130F. Like you would with a traditional Reverse seared steak. This would give it more time to soak up that live fire taste on the grill. Curious to hear what others think......
      From what I've read so far, Spinaker , it's not safe to sous vide below 129°F or so. Apparently heat-resistant toxins can grow happily up to 126°F, so you wouldn't be killing them off at 115°F. I also read that if you want to do fish at about 125°F, it must be sushi grade fish.

I could be wrong about the lowest safe temperature for beef sous vide, but I haven't seen a graph for it that goes below 125°F. That said, I'm a newbie at this, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Suffice to say that, for me, sous viding anything below 130 or so would be a no-go without researching the heck out of the minimum safe temperature for that food.

So you may want to look this up, to be sure.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; February 13, 2017, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I had a feeling there was something like that in the equation. Thanks for your help. I am gonna stick with 129 F and focus on the things we discussed above.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe I'm being a Nervous Nellie about this, but it's hard to find definitive statements about the minimum safe temperature for sous vide, at least in the googling I've done.

I'm relieved to hear that you are giving SVing at 115°F the heave-ho for now, Spinaker . Selfishly speaking, I'd miss your posts if you were laid up with food poisoning.

K.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha, thanks! I dont want to travel down that road. Been there, done that. I find when it comes to this, its better to error on the side of caution. fzxdoc

In Meathead's article Fire + Water = Sous-Vide-Que: Marrying The Grill And Smoker With Sous Vide scroll down to the Safety section for what he says about microbes and SV temps.

Comment

Thanks fuzzydaddy There is lots of great info in that article. And the video are great too. Answered pretty much all of my questions.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          You're welcome!

I finally got around to trying Clint Cantwell 's rib eye, wow! This is the method everyone is looking for. I started with a two inch steak, salted, SV 132, two hours. Since I had the bath running I added some parsley, thyme, rosemary, and sage to a second bag with some olive oil to cook for three hours to use as a finishing sauce. Chilled both in an ice bath. I added some steak rub, just a little, to the rib eye when it came out of the bath and got the grill ready. Once I had the SnS steady around 225 I added some onions and the chilled rib eye. It came up to about 100 IT when I threw some fresh lit coals in to cook some par boiled potatoes, and broccoli. Once the sides were done I threw the steak, about 110 IT onto the fire. Seared, maybe a bit much on one side but it was dark so that could be fixed. Sliced on the cutting board, drizzled with my finishing sauce. Incredible! Tender, but not mushy like when it's sv too long. The rub flavor came through amazingly. The drizzled sv herb oil mingling with the juices was the truth. The crust was sharp and hard, better than I can get from a pan. Try this method, you won't regret it. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170214_132942.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	275770Click image for larger version

Name:	20170214_143507.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	275771 ​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	20170214_143812.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	275773Click image for larger version

Name:	20170214_182937.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	275775 ​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	20170214_183916.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	275776 the pink radishes are chefsteps sv pickling technique, worth the cost of a circulator alone.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          The thing is there are a lot of different ways to process things, both before the SV and after. There's even some variation during (google warm aging at Kosher Dosher).

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          It's all about what your final goal is and what your time and effort interest is. Most weeknights, I just want to sear it without setting off the smoke alarms.

• Michael Brinton
          Michael Brinton commented
          Editing a comment
          I usually end up pre searing when I'm all indoor because of the smoke alarm too. I have to sear twice but the shortened time keeps the smoke down. Everyday hood vents just don't work well.

Finally tried SV ribeye. Kind of a last minute decision. Joule for 1.5hrs 135*. Ice for 10 minutes and season with lemon pepper and salt. Sear on the old gasser with grill grates, top with garlic butter and it was good. Not the best I've ever ate (I like a charcoal cooked steak) but for a gasser steak it was very good. The best part about it was as fzxdoc stated above, easy and I didn't stand over my grill outside in 10* weather for very long. My wife who really isn't a big fan of much meat really enjoyed it.

Comment

Good valentines meal

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0143.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	275892

Comment

I am going to try Clint Cantwell 's recipe next time. Here is my plan,
            1) SV the ribeye at 131 F for 2 hours.
            2) Then make an herb mixture to put for a finishing sauce. Throw it on the SV bath.
            3) Take the Ribeye out of the bath and shock it in ice water, one hour.
            4) Once shocked for an hour, apply surface rub and get the grill ready for the first leg of the reverse sear.
            5) Cook, indirect, until internal gets to 115 F
            6)While the steak is slow cooking, make the finishing sauce with the drippings from the steak bag and the herbs I had in the separate bag. I am going to try to make a reduction on the stove.
            7) Then once the steak reaches 115 F, pull it and sear over direct heat on the KJ Jr. or the SNS.

What do you guys think? fzxdoc Potkettleblack Michael Brinton

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for your input, really appreciate it. Still trying to navigate this world of SV. Michael Brinton

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like a good plan, Spinaker. Basically you're using Clint's Steak #1 method, plus sous viding herbs to maximize their flavor and then adding them to the heated and strained purge.

It will be interesting to learn what sous viding the herbs brings to the table. Kicking their flavor up a notch as opposed to adding fresh to the strained purge? What the hey, give it a go and let us know.
              K.

• Michael Brinton
              Editing a comment
              When you do the sv oil/herb infusion I would leave it in for an extra hour, three total. I've just never read a recipe that didn't say 131 for 3 hours.

I forgot to post this from a cook a couple of weeks ago. Here is how to ruin good SV steaks. I SV'd two New York steaks. In the old pre-SV days, I used to tenderize them with a multi blade tenderizer if I had to. It was a good way to get marinades and spices deep into the steaks when I did not have time to prep. After reading about the dangers of their use due to surface bacteria here, I stopped using mine. So I theorized that I could SV my naked steaks, put the marinade on them after SV'ing and safely use the blade to get some marinade flavor in. I did not shock cool the steaks. I put the steaks on the grill after prepping and cooked it 3 min per side (normal time for my SV/Santa Maria for medium rare) and what I got was were well, well, well done steaks.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              How did the steaks taste? Did the marinade flavor get into them using your poke-n-grill technique?

Do you think they were well done because you grilled them at 3 min per side instead of a couple of minutes per side?

What was your SV temperature?

Inquiring minds...

Kathryn

fzxdoc - the marinade did get in. I SV'd at 133 - wife's preference. They are always pink in the middle but are tender. SV has actually changed her definition of Medium a bit. The steaks with the multi-blade method were dark all of the way through. Surprisingly, in my old pokemon steak days the method tenderized the steak. The poke after SV'ing had the opposite effect. I think it was caused by a couple of factors. One is that the multi blade meat tenderizer flattened the SV'd steak much more than if it was a raw steak. If I had shock cooled the steak I may have ended up with a different result. I was treating it in the grill process as though it was a thick steak. Another factor may be that once the steak is cooked, those holes may act as ports for heat to get to the center of the steak much more efficiently. Therefore, the grill was not just searing the outside, but the inside as well. That is all conjecture, of course.
            Last edited by tbob4; February 15, 2017, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Shocking might improve your results.

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              @Potkelleblack - I get a kick out of the term "shocking". Every time I read it, it gets my attention and then I laugh at myself for initially reading it out of context.

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
            I am going to try Clint Cantwell 's recipe next time. Here is my plan,
            1) SV the ribeye at 131 F for 2 hours.
            2) Then make an herb mixture to put for a finishing sauce. Throw it on the SV bath.
            3) Take the Ribeye out of the bath and shock it in ice water, one hour.
            4) Once shocked for an hour, apply surface rub and get the grill ready for the first leg of the reverse sear.
            5) Cook, indirect, until internal gets to 115 F
            6)While the steak is slow cooking, make the finishing sauce with the drippings from the steak bag and the herbs I had in the separate bag. I am going to try to make a reduction on the stove.
            7) Then once the steak reaches 115 F, pull it and sear over direct heat on the KJ Jr. or the SNS.

What do you guys think? fzxdoc Potkettleblack Michael Brinton
            Okay, let's see.
            #1 depends on the thickness of the item. Standard 1.5" ribeye should be good at 2. Joule app says 1:30 for 1.5" steak from fresh.
            #2 If you are attempting to infuse an oil with herbs, you will want to go hotter. A lot hotter, like 180*F. Not good for ribeye, unless you like it overcooked.
            #3-5 Good plan
            #6 I would just process the purge along the lines of the sticky in the sous vide board. You probably won't have a lot of purge at 131 and short-ish time. Which is fine. More juice in the steak. I'd build it out with red wine and herbs or with some beef love and some stock and herbs. As above, herbs in the bag don't really do as much as folks seem to hope on short cooks.
            #7 rock on.

As to the whole plan, you're going with a ribeye, a rub and a pan sauce. That's a lot of flavor over the ribeye. For me, the best topping for a good ribeye is falk salt, or some other texture salt, like Maldon. If I want to switch it up, a rub or a sauce. But more for sauce than for rubs. But, everyone's palate and everyone's expectation is different.

Comment

• Michael Brinton
              Editing a comment
              (Wether or not sv packaging is used) If you're concerned, the easiest thing to do is simply refrigerate the oil. This is probably a good idea anyway since it will prolong the freshness of the flavored oil.

• Michael Brinton
              Editing a comment
              All that said, Kenji cooks oven chicken to 150 and rests it to get a safe temp. I don't see anyone advocating under 165 traditional cooking on this site. That same forum I quoted had people saying garlic must be roasted.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Point taken, Michael Brinton , regarding raw garlic and long cooks. Chef Steps sous vides their chuck steaks for 24 hours with raw garlic, though. They sous vide their chuck roast 18 to 48 hours with garlic that has been sauteed in the pan after pre-searing the roast.

tbob4 I've been watching this interesting thread since I'm a big SV fan and I'd like to offer my 2 cents worth .
            From experience no matter how long I rest a steak after cooking when cut into it always releases juices. Tenderizing after SV may have led to juices lost and contributed to the steak overcooking and being less tender. According to ' A Practical Guide To Sous Vide Cooking ' by DouglasBaldwin a one inch steak SV' d at 133f for 2 1/4 hours is pasteurized. Therefore it should be safe to tenderize before SV'ing.
            But don't take my word for it - I'm still learning - maybe other more experienced folk can confirm?

Comment

But if you want it more tender, tbob4 , why not just sous vide it for a longer time and forget the multi-poking device? I know--I have one too (recommended back in the day by none other than Alton Brown), and would love to find a use for it. There's something positively medieval about its design.

Kathryn

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                I have one too, from yore. It's good for training your cat if he doesn't know where his claws belong.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Even Nathan Myrvhold recommended jaccarding. It's about flavor penetration. You might need to modify your approach to avoid over cooking. But longer will produce tender.

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                EdF - Good advice. I'm going to be giving it a try on my attack cat!

Steve Vojtek - Good observations. I agree 100% with your assessment, Steve. The purpose of my method wasn't to tenderize. It was because I hadn't prepped the steaks at all and I asked myself "why not combine an old method with a new one?". I thought it might not work from a flavor standpoint but had no idea it would effect the cook so dramatically. I'm glad it did to save others from repeating the mistake. Your thoughts are worth way more than 2 cents!

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
                Steve Vojtek commented
                Editing a comment
                ' I'm glad I did it to save others from repeating the mistake '
                That what AR is all about. Sharing.
                Thank You....

fzxdoc They do some things at ChefSteps that I consider a bit cowboy. Joule recommends burgers as low as 129 and short term steak as low as 122. They toss aromatics in the bag despite it being a surface treatment of minimal value. Great resource, but I don't have the intestinal fortitude to do everything they do.

Having given myself some food food poisoning recently (not sure if it was improper Sous vide, improper food storage or just some old almonds), I will admit I'm a bit gun shy.

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                I did the herb/aromatic thing a lot when I first got my Anova. I found the it to be of very little value.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here