Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide: Rib Eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tbob4 Have you seen ChefSteps Time and Temp guide here? I smoke boneless/skinless chicken breasts for about 15 minutes then SV at 145 to 150. I do 140 SV if we are cutting into cubes for salads, etc.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to give it more shots. I have had good luck going from smoker to SV for a reheat but not from SV to the BBQ. Thanks again.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm a big fan of SV first... smoke second. I don't like what the moisture in the SV bag does to the smoke flavor on the meat, or any bark you might have gotten on to the meat in the smoker.

• vandy
      vandy commented
      Editing a comment
      That is what I kind of thought breadhead, I think your bark would be better with the smoke after the SV

Anyone ever SV a pork butt for pulled pork? What temp and how long would you SV a 8 lb butt before you put it in the smoker and then what internal temp would you shoot for before pulling it off of the smoker or would you just get a good bark then pull it off?

Comment

• Michael Brinton
      Michael Brinton commented
      Editing a comment
      If I remember right Potkettleblack said 165 for 24h. To get the bark I would try smoking probably 250ish until you get what your looking for. Internal temps would be hard to gauge.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      If you want it pullable. I would recommend sous viding lower and longer, like 135-140 for 48, then shock and chill, then smoke to bark or stall.

I did some NY Strip steaks last night. It is definitely cool but I missed the smoky flavor. It was definitely missing something, but it was cooked perfectly.

Comment

I've got another ribeye going in the Hot Tub Time Machine. This time I dry brined for a day. I put the ribeye into a zip lock with some herbs and a little bit of Avacado Oil.
      I set the SV for 129 F. I am burning down some oak logs now to sear the steak on My Sportsmans grill. This one is gonna be over live fire!!🔥🔥🔥🔥

I was going to use the KJ but that cast iron grill and oak logs were just asking for this!!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1717.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	265139Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1720.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	265138Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1724.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	265137Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1728.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	265140

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Dude! Great photos. Are those mushrooms in the hot tub? If yes, what recipe did you use?

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        JCBBQ Yes they are. I kinda improvised. Butter, onions and bellas. Then I put in Rosemary, basil, oregano and tyme in the bag. I had to put a few big spoon in the bag to get it to sink!

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Delish!

JCBBQ -I never get a perfectly grilled steak with SV. I don't expect to. However, I get consistency with it. I find that a rib-eye, for some weird reason, has worked much better for me than a New York. I also like my New York cooked medium rare-medium over fire but rib-eye rare to medium rare. I may need to up the time and temp on my New Yorks in SV. Others here do a much better job with the SV than I do, I know.
      Last edited by tbob4; January 19, 2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. I think Ribeyes have turned out much better than any other steak i have done so far. better than T-Bones and Strips anyway.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        They always do, don't they?

Did a couple of choice rib eyes for dinner last night and figured I'd post some pics. I'm not sure I'll get these in order, but will try.

Steaks were a tad over 1.5" thick.

Process: Naked soak for 2 hrs at 130o, followed with salt & pepper, and finished on Kettle/SnS. Served with oven-baked broccoli w/olive oil & Balsamic vinegar and a salad.

Here are some pics... wish me luck. LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1171.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	265245Click image for larger version

Name:	In Bags.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	265246Click image for larger version

Name:	In Pot.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	265247Click image for larger version

Name:	On Grill.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	265248Click image for larger version

Name:	Steak and Broccoli.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	265249Click image for larger version

Name:	Center 1.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	265250Click image for larger version

Name:	Center 2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	265251

Comment

• Lowjiber
        Lowjiber commented
        Editing a comment
        I like my steaks more rare than my better half and have done two cooks at 129 that turned out nice. However, I bumped it up to 130 just to get a tiny bit more toward the medium-rare side. There isn't much difference, but enough for her to notice it... saying, "The best steak you've ever done."
        Last edited by Lowjiber; January 19, 2017, 09:38 AM.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome photos!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        @ILowjiber Yeah, that's one of the great things - you can dial it in so your spouse likes it, and you still do!

I apologize but I don't have any pictures of the finished product. I do have some pictures of the Grill Grates putting in some work on the Sportsmans Grill. I burned down a bunch of oak logs to make a nice bed of coals. That was just plain fun!!! This was a great time. Once the fire had burned down a bit, I slid the GG's over the grill. I let it heat up for probably 10 mins and then it was ready to go. The surface was ready 650 F. The steak seared for about one min each side. The sear was exceptional. I was really happy with it. Side to side seared. Using the griddle section of the GG's is the best for searing. Nice even heat and a wonderful crust as a result. Really liking this new SV thing. Now I just gotta get to making my eggs benny!!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3618 2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.11 MB ID:	265287
      I also had some Baby bellas and onion in the SV bath as well. I put butter and herbs in the bag. And cook at 129 F four about an hour. After they were done with the steak, I put them in my sauce pot and fried them up a bit. Very tasty!!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9391 2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.49 MB ID:	265288

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        So, two theories of the crime. 1- Do the steak, cook the veg conventionally... shrooms first, then onions with shrooms. 2- Sous vide the veg, then bag with the steak, sous vide, then sear it all.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker ... how long did you SV that steak at 129°.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        For about 1.5 hours. Breadhead

lLowjiber
      No Problem! Word of advise. Since the shrroms are mostly air, they like to float. I had to put three large stainless spoons in the bag and had to wedge a spoon between the bag and the side wall of the SV vessel, to get the shrooms to stay under water. Keep that in Mind FYI.

Comment

• vandy
        vandy commented
        Editing a comment
        We do a lot of corn on the cob mostly in the microwave. So how do you guys do the cob in the sv? Temp, time any seasoning etc.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        30 minutes at 183. Butter, scant salt, scant aromatics (tarragon, chile flake, garlic, all optional). Have to weight the bag down. Recommended for Joule because getting to 183 can take a while. Almost all veg goes 183.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Potkettleblack ... when I want to get my SV bath water up to 183° quickly I fill the tub 1/2 way from my tap at 135°. Then I boil a large pot of water and fill the other half up with 212° water. That reduces the time to get to 183° quite a bit.👍

Spinaker ... Be aware with SV cooking, time, is your tenderizer. Try cooking that same steak 2, 4, 6 or 8 hours at the same temperature. You will get 4 different results. I think you will find an 8 hour steak better than a 2 hour steak. All 4 cooks take the exact same hands on labor. Your SV circulator is the ultimate set it and forget it cooker.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        vandy ... searing or blanching your steaks before sealing them only eliminates bacteria on the surface of your meat. If your meat has punctures or fissures that admit bacteria deep inside it needs to be pasteurized.

• vandy
        vandy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Breadhead, I think I will just stick to 131 for safety reasons. Chef Steps recommends cooking a 129 for shorter times (which I am not too sure about) but I think for the longer time it needs to be a little higher.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        vandy ... 131° works for me. I like my steaks at 135°. If you sear them real hot, quickly, the internal temperature is not going to rise much.

So, Breadhead , theoretically I could take a tough cut of meat, slice it into steaks, and have tender steaks on the plate after 8 hours in the SV bath? Or is it better to start with the steaks we all know and love like ribeye, NY strip, etc.?

Like Spinaker , I had visions of tossing steaks into the SV bath and letting it percolate along all day until time to sear the meat up for supper. That doesn't seem to be the case from comments here, so I'm scratching my head over it a bit.

I'm just getting into SV and have a lot to learn.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
      So, Breadhead , theoretically I could take a tough cut of meat, slice it into steaks, and have tender steaks on the plate after 8 hours in the SV bath? Or is it better to start with the steaks we all know and love like ribeye, NY strip, etc.?

Like Spinaker , I had visions of tossing steaks into the SV bath and letting it percolate along all day until time to sear the meat up for supper. That doesn't seem to be the case from comments here, so I'm scratching my head over it a bit.

I'm just getting into SV and have a lot to learn.

Kathryn
      The best example I have is my experiment with USDA Choice grade Tri-Tips. I bought a 20 pound package of Tri-Tips for just $2.99 per pound. I dry brined them all for 24 hours and then vacuum packaged them individually and put them in the freezer.

I intentionally used them to experiment with SV cook times. I cooked them all at 131° because my Modernist Cuisine books say that if you are going to cook meat below that temperature you should blanch it in boiling water for 60 seconds before vacuum packing it to remove any bacteria that's on the surface first.

I had 7 pieces of meat and cooked the first one for 24 hours and found the meat to be over cooked. The meat became too tender to the point it was too mushy. I would not serve it to friends or family.

Then I did the following... searing each tri-tip roast on my charcoal starter with a grate over it.

2 hours... looked great but it was kind of tough.

4 hours... slightly more tender than the 2 hour roast but still not very tender.

6 hours... getting progressively more tender but not yet perfect.

8 hours... noticely more tender than the 2 hour meat but still not perfect.

10 hours... more tender than the 8 hour meat.

12 hours... I think this is the best time for tri-tip at 131°. It will be as tender as beef tenderloin but not mushy like the 24 hour disaster.

If I was in a hurry I would do a 2, 4, 6 hour SV cook but I will know not to expect a tender piece of meat. I would think most of us would find the sweet spot somewhere between 8 and 12 hours in the SV at 131°.

Extended cooking time in the hot tub is your tenderizer for SV cooking. You can push it to an extreme and make your meat so tender it is undesirable.

Even though ribeye is more tender off of the cow I would suggest longer cooking times than just 2 hours.

The great part part of SV cooking is the actual hands on labor is exactly the same for a 2 hour cook or a 12 hour cook. Planning is your only limitation. The hot tub is the ultimate set it and forget it cooker!
      Last edited by Breadhead; January 21, 2017, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• Lowjiber
        Lowjiber commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you are correct about extended cooking time being the tenderizing factor. That's not something that is obvious when first studying SV. My first impression (before cooking) was that extended cooking was just for convenience... not true.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!!!! This is exactly what I have been looking for. Hey, I have an idea...........How about you start a "Taming the Savage SV bath" thread hahahahahaha, You pretty much changed the way I cook outdoors with your Kamado thread, so I thought I should mention.

I agree with everyone that says longer is better! When I 1st got my Anova I did what the App said 131 for 50 min. I was not pleased with the outcome? so I moved to 90 min it was a little better then 120 min (2 hours) and finally set upon 150 min (2.5 hours) The next step in my SV evolution was to shock the meat (thank you @Potkettleblack) I was overcooking the steaks when I seared before that. Now my favorite thing to do (cause I'm cheap lol) is a Sirloin steak. (about an inch thick) SV it for 3 hours (180 min) Shock and sear Wow great sirloin taste but tender meat to boot!! I have added a 2nd SV (joule) for Veggies green beans come out still crispy but I agree corn on the cob is king!! I SV frozen corn comes out great just add 20 min cook time. (probably can ad less time thats just what I used and works great)

Comment

• vandy
        vandy commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here EdF then I could have 2 baths going at the same time. I am going to have to try that corn on the cob like that GadjetGriller. thanks for the info. I never have frozen corn on the cob though, does it still have that corn crunch when you freeze it first.

• Atalanta
        Atalanta commented
        Editing a comment
        We SV corn on the cob when its fresh. If I'm freezing, blanche, remove from cob, vac seal.

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes vandy the crispness was still there!! (I like that myself) Vegetables cook at a much higher temp around 170 to 180 that's why I needed 2.(SV machines)

I am going to try a 12-hour Ribeye soak on a steak on Tuesday. I have a brining question. I have been salting my ribeye before and after the SV bath. After taking it out of the bath, I pat it dry, then I add more salt. The last steak that I did was pretty salty, and I think that I may have over done it. So here's my question,

When salting the Ribeye before the bath; do I use as much salt as I normally would to dry brine? Do I use half as much before and half as much after the bath? Should I just do all of the salting before the bath, or maybe even after?

What do you guys think?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I generally don't pre salt. If I do, it's gonna be measured for an equilibrium brine. 1% of weight or something. And I won't salt pre-sear.

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
      I am going to try a 12-hour Ribeye soak on a steak on Tuesday. I have a brining question. I have been salting my ribeye before and after the SV bath. After taking it out of the bath, I pat it dry, then I add more salt. The last steak that I did was pretty salty, and I think that I may have over done it. So here's my question,

When salting the Ribeye before the bath; do I use as much salt as I normally would to dry brine? Do I use half as much before and half as much after the bath? Should I just do all of the salting before the bath, or maybe even after?

What do you guys think?
      You have to be really careful with seasonings when cooking SV. I talked with a friend (a restaurant owner and chef) about it and he explained that SV effectively accelerates the uptake ... especially of salt. I haven't tried it yet, but the next time I SV something after dry brining, I plan to rinse it off thoroughly before SV so that there is really nothing more to be absorbed while in the bath. After rinsing, dry it well, bag it, then into the bath. I think (and hope) that will solve the problem.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Very interesting. Thanks. do you know why it accelerates the up take of salt? I wonder if @Dr.Blonder would care to comment on this...........
        Last edited by Spinaker; January 21, 2017, 02:53 PM.

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        I suspect that it's simple thermodynamics: Chemical reactions go more quickly at higher temps (within reason).

FWIW, here's an interesting discussion: http://www.molecularrecipes.com/sous...reparing-food/

About halfway down, there's a bit on salt and SV.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr. Blonder' brining article states it goes faster at higher temps.

Spinaker I'd go a little lighter and in the bag, or do it the way MBMorgan says above. I don't think you'll need salt afterwards. Regarding your plan, Breadhead 's advice is good for a tough piece of meat, but we're talking prime rib here. I did a small frozen roast a few weeks back and found 7-8 hours getting a little softer than I'd prefer. I'd try around 6 hours tops for thawed ribeye steak, and that might be an hour too long. I'll be trying the same thing myself sometime in the next week or so, as I cut up a bunch of PRs that were on sale into steaks.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree... if you are cooking a more naturally tender piece of meat like Ribeye vs Tri-Tip you should reduce your time in the bath tub.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here