Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib Roast

I plan combination of sous vide/smoking/searing a 6 lb rib roast. Having never done this before, I am considering the following steps:
    1) water bath at 140' for 2-4 hours (rubbed with olive oil and McCormick "Montreal Steak" seasoning);
    2) smoke in Primo cooker at close as reasonable to 140' for 30 minutes;
    3) sear on gas grill.
    Suggestions or comments, please. Questions I have: 1) smoke before or after sous vide? 2) If i smoke after sv, should I shock (ice water dunk) prior to searing?

I don't see any need to do any smoking after the sous vide, only searing. I would also prefer to sous vide at 131.5.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be my approach too. Not so big on much smoke for PR, and 140 is likely to lead to pretty well-done for this cut.

Here's how I would go about this process.
    First, I'd french it. http://kitchenencounters.typepad.com...-or-pork-.html
    I'd then remove the ribs, and then tie them back on with twine.
    I would presear that roast on all sides save the rib side. This is not necessary, but builds better flavor.

I would not cook it at 140, but I do not like tender cuts cooked medium. Your mileage may vary. By this process, 140 would wind up somewhere between medium and medium well. AKA "If that's what the customer wants, and their money is green, who am I to argue?"
    I'd go 129. Depending on the roast's thickness, 4-6 hours. Going over by a few hours is not a big deal. Going under is not good, as you want to cook the interior and it's a big hunk of meat.

If I wanted to smoke it, I'd either pre-smoke for maybe half an hour, or I would shock that sucker cold in an icebath and the fridge, and then finish it on the grill, using "smoke roasting" to raise it to short of the proper temp, just like a reverse sear, and then searing it again on the hot side.

If I wanted an herb rub on this, I would use an eggwhite coating after SV, to help with rub adherence.

Comment

• LangInGibsonia
      LangInGibsonia commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds about perfect to me. And great call on the egg whites. I never would have thought of that but it makes total sense.

As I understand, Potkettleblack, the purpose of the "shock" is to prevent raising the interior temp above your desired goal. But, shocking cools the exterior, correct? Will the desired char occur prior to, or simultaneous with, elimination of the protective cold surface ?
    Is "smoke roasting" simply low temperature (129) on closed grill?

Comment

Originally posted by jnelsonmdla View Post
      As I understand, Potkettleblack, the purpose of the "shock" is to prevent raising the interior temp above your desired goal. But, shocking cools the exterior, correct? Will the desired char occur prior to, or simultaneous with, elimination of the protective cold surface ?
      Is "smoke roasting" simply low temperature (129) on closed grill?
      Too much for comments there.

Shocking is multipurpose. For certain items (high temp veg), it's to stop the cooking. For low temp items (meat), there is no carryover cooking. You're cooking it at your final temp. The first reason for shocking a hunk of meat is to take the surface through the bacterial danger zone quickly. If you let it coast down, you spend a lot of time in the ideal zone for bacterial growth. Bad. There's a second reason, especially as I want to cool this down all the way. You have a 6 bone prime rib. That's about 12 lbs of thermal mass. You put that in your fridge at 129*F, and you are going to heat up adjacent items in your fridge into the bacterial danger zone. Instead of just one expensive item in the danger zone, you now have six or seven, and the ones in your fridge are at higher risk than your meat in a bag.

The last reason is for searing. What I'm recommending here is taking it down all the way to fridge temp, maybe 35*F. Then, grill set up for maybe 300* for a hot hot smoke. You want to retherm the item while adhering smoke AND firming the surface. Because you're gonna crank it to warp ten to finish it, with a nice sear.

We're doing this for a very specific reason. When you take something out of the bag, aside from the searing, it is perfectly done, edge to edge. If you add heat to it, you will cook it further than you want it, unless you did your SV at a low temp. The lowest I would consider cooking anything for any amount of time is 127*. Now, some meats, the best part is the inside, but prime rib, the best part is the spinalis muscle, the Rib Eye Cap, which is right on the edge. That's the money muscle of the rib roast. If we sear it right out of the bag, we are going to ruin that. Bad. So, we're going to chill it, bring it up in a method like reverse sear, to below our SV temp... this is because we want to add smoke. And smoke adheres to things wet and things cold, so sayeth Dr. Blonder, so sayeth we all.

If it seems like a lot of jerking it around, we're doing it because it's an expensive piece of meat and we're striving for perfection.

Comment

I am so appreciative of the education you are providing me, Potkettleblack .

Comment

• jnelsonmdla
          jnelsonmdla commented
          Editing a comment
          BTW, I plan to cook my roast as a Valentine Day meal for three couples. So you see the details are important for me. I don't wish to screw this up.

I'm not sure you need the smoke, tbh. But if you insist, this is essentially the base recipe.
        https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...-rib-rib-roast

The reason I'm adding the shock and chill step is for the smoke. If you don't need the smoke, you can basically take it out, drain the purge, process for jus as they instruct, or take the extra step to remove the albumin as I recommend, egg white wash and rub, and high heat oven sear (or grill).

That just gave me an idea. Do you have GrillGrates? Because this might be the perfect opportunity for a Meathead Close Proximity Smoke. Do just like ChefSteps, up through step 14. Then, to finish, instead of high heat oven, high heat grillgrate, with pellets in the valleys to do that close proximity smoke. I did it on my turkey breast this year, and it worked wonderfully, to give a light smokiness to a perfectly cooked turkey.

Yeah, if you have the GGs, this is worth doing. Otherwise, if you have a way of doing direct fire grilling, you can throw some smoke on over high heat while searing.

I would shock it, but not do the fridge if I were gonna CPS it.

Comment

• jnelsonmdla
          jnelsonmdla commented
          Editing a comment
          I have GrillGrates and will opt for the Close Proximity Smoke instead of oven.

Another vote to skip the smoke and SV between 130 and 135.

Comment

jnelsonmdla, I came to this dance late but I figured I would tell You what I did with a Boneless Rib Roast we had in the Freezer! It was taken out 2 days before New Years Day, it was Dry Brined with Kosher Salt & Garlic Powder for 24 Hrs and Tones Restuarant Grind Black Pepper was added +- 4Hrs before going on the Weber Kettle, S 'n S, Drip & Griddle, w/DigiQ DX-2 Temp Control! The cook was monitored with a FireBoard! Four or Five Chunks of Hickory were added to KBB in the S 'n S! The temp was set a 275* F, and the Roast was cooked to +- 120* F and then reverse seared! I think it was the Best Ever! I'll let the Pic's Say the rest!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	5 Size:	39.4 KB ID:	259758Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	3.28 MB ID:	259761Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	4.06 MB ID:	259765Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	2 Size:	38.7 KB ID:	259766Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	4 Size:	39.6 KB ID:	259759Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	3.70 MB ID:	259767Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	4.01 MB ID:	259768Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	2.84 MB ID:	259769
          Attached Files

Comment

• Northside Brian
            Northside Brian commented
            Editing a comment
            how long was the cook on that?

That's a pretty roast, Dan. If you don't mind, I'm gonna use one of your pictures to talk about why I'd recommend Sous-vide here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spinalis.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	259801
          Now, there are two types of folks when it comes to prime rib/rib eye steaks. There are folks who love the eye of the ribeye (that'd be my wife) and there are folks who like the ribeye cap (that'd be me). When I buy one of these as a primal, I butcher it the way Meathead shows on the public site and in the book, by removing and portioning the cap into steaks, and then making Eye of the Eye steaks. You get maybe 4 caps steaks and 6-8 eye steaks, depending on how thick you cut the steaks. So, I eat a couple eye steaks, love em, but the cap steaks are not for the wife, if you catch my meaning. It's essentially a Nash Equilibrium. She gets the leanish protein, I get the stuff I will appreciate.

Now, when you cook a whole prime rib, it is hard to do justice to the cap portion. The Meathead recipe solves the problem by (optionally) removing the cap. He also solves it by making the whole thing round and cooking low. This is a very solid solution.

But, going sous-vee-doux, we can keep it edge to edge MR, with no overshoot. If we treat it properly, we can then crust it, add some smoke flavor, and not have the gradation from well to rare or medium.

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone's preference is pretty much equally valid (and my wife is welcome to stay the hell away from my cap steaks).

Comment

Potkettleblack, nice summary! I have found that sous vide does indeed solve this problem, but I still prefer to do a smoked one every once in a while. On my pellet grill (rec tec mini), I'll roast it at 225 F till around 125-130 and then sear. Even when the roast is tied, to get an even shape, and cooked low and slow I've found that the cap tends to get overdone when compared to the rest of the roast. I have not been flipping and rotating the meat at all when smoking on the rec tec, so the next step is to give that a try next time. I'm with you, rib cap for the win!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Might just try shading the cap away from the firepot. I do a similar thing with whole chickens, to keep the breast at a lower temp than the legs. Shade the legs to the direct side. Not sure how that will work at 225. You could also foil the cap.

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              By shading do mean cook the roast with the cap on top? I usually cook with the cap on the top side of the roast.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              If there's a cooler spot, I'd go bones down, cap in the cooler side. So, with my genesis, Left burner on. Bones would point to the left, leaving the cap furthest from the heat. Not sure the RT Mini's heat diffusion pattern. You could also try a foil cover the spinalis for part of the cook.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here