Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering Sous Vide

Taking a hard look at the Anova Sous Vide and really interested in that insulated tub.

It seems to make sense to have that tube for long immersions, and it has the lid
    (also not seeing the value in going with the Pro version)

What am I missing?

I would like to try this for big cuts like Brisket or Pork Shoulder...SWMBO asked if she would be allowed to use it for veggies...Hmm- still considering that!!

I don’t have an insulated tub, just a cover, which I find key for long and hotter soaks. I have a silicon lid for a tub that I bought for the chuck roast size items, or when I’m soaking multiple items at once.

and, definitely YES for SV veggies! Especially carrots that are then finished on a pan and deglazed with the juice and a bit of sugar. Yum!!!

but, others that do longer cooks and have the tubs may provide some good info on the use of the insulated types.

Either way, an SV is fun to have and is a great tool to have!

Comment

• Bad Hat BBQ
      Bad Hat BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanx

I don't see the need for the insulated tub. Perhaps it makes the Anova more efficient to run but I don't use it nearly enough with long cooks that it would make much of an impact for me.

Regarding the lid aspect - as long as you cover the pot with anything the water wont evaporate much. For most of my bigger/longer cooks, I use a lobster pot and cover the top with plastic wrap and haven't had any issues with evaporation with my longer (~48-50 hour) cooks so haven't bothered doing anything different or buying a specialized product

Comment

• Bad Hat BBQ
      Bad Hat BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanx

Having a tub of any sort with a cover is the way to protect against evaporation. I use a 16L container with a cover/lid that has an opening for my Anova. Insultation may help a bit with heat loss thus reducing the amount of "work" the Anova (or any other immersion heater device) uses to maintain the set temp. Little benefit in my mind.

Comment

• Bad Hat BBQ
      Bad Hat BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate the feed-back.

Does the 16L work with a Brisket? (# pounds?)

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it does although probably not a really large one. I don’t do large briskets as I’m normally cooking for 2 - lots of leftovers in my house.

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      Bad Hat BBQ You asked about lbs - I'm guessing no larger than 13-14 untrimmed. Obviously smaller after trimming, especially if you square off the end of the flat section which is usually very thin relative to the rest. You can also cut the brisket in half where the flat joins the point and SV them side-by-side. 1 more thing - SV is very, very useful for many foods/meats/veggies and reheating.

Another vote against an insulated tub, really not necessary as long as you have a lid or cover of some kind. I use this one, which is about US$35. Big enough for anything but a big brisket (but I haven't tried it, biggest cut I've SV'd is a tri tip).

Sous vide is an absolute must-have tool IMO, especially if you already own a vac sealer. Reheating vac-sealed smoked meat in the SV is by far the best way to do leftovers, it's nearly indistinguishable from "on the day". Good luck!

Comment

We use an sous vide insulated wrap "kit" that we found online that can wrap around a "standard size container/pot". Certainly cheaper than purchasing a dedicated insulated sous vide container. Not that we haven't also one of those in the cabinet.

Does it help tremendously? Sure, why not? It certainly doesn't detract from the sous vide experience.

Comment

I use either a 2 gallon or 5 gallon stock pot (cheap ones I've had for years) and if its a long cook or a high temp SV (like 195 for 4 hours to finish a pastrami), I cover the top with a piece of foil. I have not done any cooks longer than 4-6 hours where I think an insulated tub is worth it.

That said, I've had Anova since maybe 2017, and use it just 3-4 times per year it seems. I just prefer actual smoked results for butts and brisket and such. I'll use it for steaks, for pork loin and things like that where I don't want to overcook and want a specific interior doneness.

Comment

I use a 16 qt pot with a silicone cover which is designed for Anova. I also place a towel over the lid. More insulation and evaporation mitigation. For my use it works well.

Comment

My wife bought me the smaller Anova with the non insulated tub and lid from COSTCO last year. I still have the big original Anova. The tub is fantastic, as is the lid. I used to do everything in a big pot and during the warm months my wife would make my SV outside because of the amount of heat it gave off without a lid. You don't notice it at all with the regular tub.

Comment

I fifth or sixth the recommendation for a non sous vide container and save the price premium.

Here is what I have plus the lid ( an extra $10). I cut a small hole in the lid around the Joule and it works perfectly.

Rubbermaid Commercial Products... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R8JOWK...p_mob_ap_share

Comment

I bought a dedicated plastic tub that has a neoprene sleeve for some insulation. Most of my SV cooks are only 1-3 hours depending on the size of the meat or if it is still frozen. I think an insulted container with a cover would be very beneficial to maintain heat and prevent evaporation on a long cook. Especially if you were letting things run in a cold room like the basement or garage. I have seen people rig up coolers for this type of cook.

I have no issues with that on my shorter duration soaks. I have a Joule and it is so simple and always provides amazing results.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Co...87&sr=1-3&th=1

Comment

I've used all kinds of different types of containers.....pots, pans, plastic tubs.....I bought an actual tub that my Anova fits in like Old Glory mentions with the neoprene sleeve. I actually really like the insulation, seems to help with the evaporation which on long cooks, over 24 hrs, is very helpful for me because i have a problem with not checking the water level at times...HA!!!

Comment

I also use one of the basic restaurant tubs, not the proprietary insulated, and am quite happy with it. I don't do that many "long cooks", mostly I use to reheat or to cook basics like a pack of chicken breasts for work lunches. I have the original Anova, and the one thing I didn't think I would love about it is the wifi. My grocery day is long, as I pretty much put everything into vac bags, so they are ready to cook. I can then take a pack of steak or chops, or whatever, out in the morning and throw in the sous vide bin with ice water. Around the time I'm leaving work, for the 45 min drive, I can turn up the a/c and turn on the Anova with my phone. By the time I get home, the house is cool and the food is cooked, so I can just sear it and be done. This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/EVERIE-Contai..._hp_atf_m&th=1

Comment

I have the Anova sous vide and tub (with gasketed lid). Absolutely love it. Great for perfectly done steak and prime rib. I need to try it for other things.

Comment

Just a tub and nice top for my food sous vide
                        My human sous vide is insulated and keeps a perfect 104° 😁

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here