Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Verdé Enchilada Pork Chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw Huskee 's post regarding original recipes. Here is one for chili that I think is the best. Got the idea from the Hatch Green Chile site and have been playing with it for a few years. The enchilada sauce is slightly modified from the source at the end. No canned stuff; as usual the better the ingredients the better the outcome, so I use home made chicken stock, best meat I can find, and the enchilada sauce recipe. (But I think I'm preaching to the Choir) Enjoy

Yields: 6 - 8 servings

Ingredients:
    • ½ pound bacon, cut into ¼" pieces crosswise
    • 3-4 pounds pork butt or shoulder, cut into ¾" cubes
    • ½-2 fresh jalapeño peppers, stems and seeds removed and chopped
    • 3-4 tablespoon lard, if needed
    • 1 medium white onion, diced
    • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    • ½ teaspoon ground cumin
    • ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
    • 1 tablespoon Ancho Chile powder
    • â…›-¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper or Aleppo pepper
    • â…›-¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 4 cloves garlic, minced
    • ½ cup all-purpose flour (optional)
    • 4-6 cups Green Enchilada sauce (recipe below) (or 1-28oz can green enchilada sauce & 2-7oz cans salsa Verde)
    • 2 cups chicken broth (more if needed)
    • 1 pound cooked dried pinto or black beans (Rancho Gordo)(or 2 to 3-15oz can Pinto or Black beans)
    • ½ to 1 cup masa harina
    • 1-2 cups liquid from chiles, beans, or water
    • ½ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
    • Lime juice, to taste
    • Limes, cut into wedges, for serving
    • Cheddar or Jack cheese, shredded, for serving
    • jalapeño peppers, sliced, for serving

Preparation:
    1. If using homemade sauce; prepare first. If using dried beans get started. (See smoker option #7)
    1. Cook bacon in a large skillet over moderate heat, turning, until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. With the bacon grease; stir in the pork and cook until evenly browned. (if using ground, should be cooked) Add the jalapenos and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Remove the browned pork and jalapenos and set aside with bacon, reserving 3 tbsp grease.
    1. Heat the reserved bacon grease in a 6-9qt heavy pot then add the onion. Cook for 2 minutes or until the onion starts to soften. Stir in the salt, cumin, paprika, Ancho Chile powder, cayenne and black pepper then cook until the onion is soft. Mix in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
    1. Reduce the heat to low. Optionally, sprinkle the flour over the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring for three minutes. Slowly pour the enchilada sauce into the onion mixture, whisking constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Mix in the chicken broth and maybe some bean liquid.
    1. Return the cooked pork mixture and pinto beans to the pot. Increase the heat to medium and slowly bring to a boil. When the chili boils, reduce the heat and slowly simmer for 1-3 hours. Mix masa and water then add as needed to thicken. Before serving remove from heat and stir in chopped cilantro and lime juice.
    1. Serve with sliced fresh jalapeño, shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, lime wedges and tortillas.
    1. Smoker option: Preheat Smoker (YS640) Pellet Grill to 225ºF, set up for smoking. Trim excess fat and silver skin from the outside of the pork roasts. Rub the roasts with a thin layer of binder (water, oil, mustard, hot sauce, etc.) season all surfaces with Pulled pork dry rub. Smoke the roasts on the 2nd shelf for 60-90 minutes until the internal temperature of 115ºF-120ºF. Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Dice into bite-sized pieces and return to step 5. Can use a cast iron pot and cook the whole thing in the smoker.
    Note: Better if eaten the next day.

Recipe me

Green Enchilada Sauce

Yield: about 4 cups (but double for extra)

Ingredients:
    • 2 tablespoons lard
    • 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced
    • 4 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 pound green tomatillos, husked, washed and sliced into quarters
    • 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and ribs removed (depending on heat desired)
    • 6 large poblano or Anaheim peppers, stem and seeds removed
    • juice of 1 lime
    • ½ cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
    • 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
    • 1 teaspoon cumin
    • 1 teaspoon Anaheim chili powder
    • 1 teaspoon smoked sea salt, to taste
    • Black pepper freshly ground, to taste

Preparation:
    1. Preheat broiler. Place poblano and jalapeño peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast, turning until blackened in spots and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Let steam in a paper bag for 15 minutes.
    1. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of lard in a heavy bottomed saucepan over med-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
    1. Peel skin from roasted peppers. In the blender add peppers, tomatillos, cilantro, jalapeno, poblano and lime juice. Blend on medium until smooth, adding the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil to get things moving. (and some broth if needed)
    1. Pour the tomatillo mixture in with the onions and garlic. Add the vegetable broth, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer on low heat for about an hour, or more to thicken the sauce. (sauce can also be simmered in a slow cooker all day)
    1. If desired, blend with an immersion blender or throw the mixture back into the regular blender for a smoother sauce. Season to taste with lime, salt and/or pepper.
    1. Serve over tacos, as an enchilada sauce, inside burritos, or as a dip for chips.

Modified http://shrinkingkitchen.com/homemade...chilada-sauce/

Absolutely will try this out, loves me some dang ole salsa verde, chile verde, etc., usw. !!!

Many Thanks fer sharin this, Brother!

Comment

I love Chile Verde, and this sounds great. Saved your recipe to OneNote and will try it some day. Thanks!

Comment

Can this recipe be made with pulled pork? I just cooked 9 lbs.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          no reason why not I can think of. Good luck

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          got 13+ lbs. pork butt, gonna do it!
          Note: Twas ¢99/lb., few weeks ago...

• Randy-Phx
          Randy-Phx commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought 2 ar 98 cent/lb here. A different grocery store has it until Wednesday gor 97 cents.

Sounds delish.

Comment

Great write up as I don't always write quantities down and my chili Verdi varies. This sounds spot on and have to plan a cook in the future. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Love green enchiladas! Thanks!

Comment

Not good to see recipes like this so late at night. Now will have to go to bed hungry. In the AM the pillow will either be missing or wet with drool. Definitely gonna try this recipe.

Comment

Sounds delicious will have to try.

Comment

Got to put this one on the list. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Thanks so much for posting this. Looks like a labor of love, complex yet delicious. I'm a big Hatch chili fan for use in the enchilada sauce. Love to give this one a whirl myself !!

Comment

I don't have a Verde Enchilada sauce recipe. I'm thinking of boiling pork to make a pork broth for the enchilada sauce and then use the boiled pork inside the enchilada's. That will work, right??

Comment

That would work and be totally different. The last half of that is a recipe for verde enchilada sauce you can use

Comment

ofelles I just tried this and it was great, especially the next day. I did make changes to the recipe mostly because we forgot or didn't find things at the one store we went to the day before. It is now on our recipe repeat list. Had to keep it on the mild side since my wife can not take things too hot, but I added more of the verde to my bowls. So thanks for this recipe!

Comment

Definitely going to make this. Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here