Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Kale Chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Kale Chips

Green leafy kale (without the thick stem) is a legal garnish in KCBS competitions, but I'm still working on box setup. Last couple of contests, I've ended up making kale chips in my smoker when the smoker is almost empty but still running just in case. No recipe really! I use extra virgin olive oil (I really like O brand lemon), a salty rub -- a Chili Lime rub last time. Mix oil and seasoning into the kale spread on a sheet pan and park in the smoker.

You'll need to mix the kale up just to test for dryness and move bottom to top. After bone dry, store in an airtight container or zipper bag.

Interesting, as my wife has made kale chips in the oven before. I bet they would be nice (well, as nice as kale can be!) with a little smoke on them!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	5BCEF607-F26B-43AA-A73A-0753636414F4.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	660348 Worry no more! You can now buy kale chips! "Dried not Fried"!

Comment

• NapMaster
        NapMaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Love that DC 3 on your computer screen!

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        That is the aircraft from which another of us N227GB gets his name NapMaster

• NapMaster
        NapMaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Definatley awesome N227GB and HawkerXP

Personally, I've never like kale chips. They always taste fishy to me.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought they always tasted like kale, but that me

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I've had homemade ones and several store bought ones and they always tasted funky. The GF likes them though.

Not another dirty kale discussion

Comment

Geez! You had to bring up kale again. I'm not a BBQ judge and never will be. Having said that, if someone brought me a box of fine meat and there was kale in the box, they would loose big time. 👎

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Kale is used in turn in boxes and whole hog comps all the time.

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not a fan of kale, so I get what you're saying. But it's only in there for appearance and to fill up empty space, not to be eaten.

Alright, I'm batting for the other team. I like kale, and kale chips are real good snacks. I haven't tried them smoked though, thanks for the suggestion CandySueQ!

Comment

I bet the chili lime rub helps with flavor a lot. I have found that the acid helps to take out some of the bitterness in the kale. I might have top try this one one of these days.

I do like kale chips.

Comment

I grow kale. Goooo Kale!

Comment

I had a bumper crop of kale one time, and decided to make some kale chips. They turned out alright, but the return on effort was so small I never did it again. The recipe is simple, but by the time I picked, de-stemmed & cut, oiled & seasoned, baked, washed the pans, and cleaned up the green snowstorm of tiny kale flakes everywhere - then looked at the teeny little bowl of kale chips - that was it for me.

I just use fresh kale a handful at a time for omelettes, smoothies, sautéed side dish, etc. Maybe I'll try just adding some to the smoker during a cook - interesting idea. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Funny that this comes up! I've got a 4x4 raised bed full of tender, young kale just begging to go in the smoker. It's so tender that I don't think I'll need to destem or anything, the leaves are about the size of my palm.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	311F0662-6901-4D05-A737-6D6264B688C7.jpeg
Views:	324
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	662309 Kale for health. Kale for flavor. Kale for ever!

Comment

I'm sorry, what??? KALE CHIPS???

Comment

Kale is so bitter. Maybe the smoke would tone down that bitterness. I am not sure it is going to make my top 10 list of things to try on a BBQ, but maybe someday...

Comment

Non-profit foundation providing reliable, scientifically accurate, personalized information for convenient and enjoyable healthy eating.

Comment

• Willard
                          Willard commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Rinse it well. Add in some evoo, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, add a little crushed red pepper, go ahead and add in a little boiled egg and toss in some roasted nuts of your choice. Put it on a plate next to blackened redfish. Be sure to squeeze on some lemon all over. Open a favorite bottle of red and enjoy.

If you don’t like it, go puke and grab a a case of puke beer to replenish. 😎🍻

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here