Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you blend 2 different cheeses together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you blend 2 different cheeses together?

hopefully someone here can answer this question.
    I'm looking to melt down a block of jack cheese and a block of havarti cheese. Than add minced Reapers and jalapeños to make a serious pepper jack cheese.
    Was thinking of melting the 2 cheeses together adding the peppers than pouring it into little molds that would make little cheese blocks.
    Would this work. Or would the 2 cheeses counter react and make a puddle of s¥€~£t. And harden up to make a brick.
    I have no idea about this. Never tried or thought about this before.

Thanks for your support

I'm not sure, but I would worry more about separation of oil and cheese. Sounds like a noble endeavor though. I'm interested to hear how it turns out.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I second this comment!

I'd start small. Maybe just slice off a small piece of each cheese and give it a try. Some cheeses melt better than others, so a little experiment could save you some $$.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I second this comment!!

Yeah, you can, if as was mentioned, the cheese is meltable. You have different texture between the two types. Do as RonB says. But I think it may work. The blend of tastes sounds most interesting.

Comment

Isn't that how they make colby jack? Maybe not, maybe they mix the curds before they set, what do I know. I know I love cheese.

Comment

Of course ya can...
        Might be easier to shred or chunk 'em both down, observe 'em both fer how they melt, as said, above... might a lil' require intervention, with some flour/milk, to keep things smoothed out...
        It'll be OTay!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 26, 2017, 09:56 PM.

Comment

I second all comments

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I second alla th' previous seconds, thus far...

Try a small sample.
          Problem is once you melt cheese you are technically done with that cheese.

Comment

I would grate the cheeses first and find out which one had the lower melting point, using a large pot. I would go at a low heat and put the higher melting point cheese in first with a bit of butter and would then fold it over itself as it started to melt. Use the lowest melting temp possible. Then I would slowly add the lower melting point cheese in, stirring only slightly and folding. Mix the reapers in. As soon as you get a mix that you like take in off and put into the molds. Cool.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Seems a good procedure for the experiment!

Might have better luck shredding the cheeses and peppers and pressing the mixture into a mold. Not sure that I would actually "melt" the cheese.

Comment

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              That's what I was thinking.

Shred mix then put into a vacuum sealer once the air is out the pressure will form it back into a solid. Dont use already cheese. Remember the peppers will not have a shelf life like the cheese will

Comment

Would it help to roast the peppers? A fire roast would loosen skins. Seems like raw reapers and cheese may be courting contamination. I like the idea of shred and vacuum seal. Maybe a short dip in sous vide would meld the flavors without melting cheeses. I don't know -- just theorizing!

Comment

I would imagine it would be best to do it in small batches. Mixed appreciated cheese or pre-chopped cheese. Add the cooked peppers. Rock at work but I think you would get a better flavor profile if you cut them a little bit. And do it One mold at a time until you get the hang of it. I don't know that I would vacuum seal it. I would imagine that she's with next better if they had the same oil content or fat content. The dryer the cheese the less fat and harder it is to melt. The best melting cheeses have a higher fat content that's what makes it melt. Seems doable to me if you have a terrain.

Comment

With a bit of an emulsifier, you can absolutely do this.
                  This is how I would do it:
                  ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks definitive!

• Bruce54
                    Bruce54 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've used the sodium citrate for cheese sauce, works pretty well.

After further thoughts, I might think along the lines of kmhfive & CandySueQ in the theorizing end of things. What you are saying is making cheese that is already been made. I question if it is as simple as melting down & starting over by mixing & then letting it settle. The cheese process is just that, a process. It will be interesting what you try & what you end up with. Give it a shot with a few of the ideas. In the meantime somebody will step in with the idea. I will try to talk to a cheese maker since we have them in every town around here. Good fortune!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Seems unlikely to work as you are breaking a cheese in the melting. You need an emulsifier. Sodium citrate would be the most likely culprit.

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Potkettleblack, I knew some one with a whole lot more know how would have the answer, from this group. Never fails.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here