Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you blend 2 different cheeses together?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can you blend 2 different cheeses together?

    hopefully someone here can answer this question.
    I'm looking to melt down a block of jack cheese and a block of havarti cheese. Than add minced Reapers and jalapeños to make a serious pepper jack cheese.
    Was thinking of melting the 2 cheeses together adding the peppers than pouring it into little molds that would make little cheese blocks.
    Would this work. Or would the 2 cheeses counter react and make a puddle of s¥€~£t. And harden up to make a brick.
    I have no idea about this. Never tried or thought about this before.

    Thanks for your support

    #2
    I'm not sure, but I would worry more about separation of oil and cheese. Sounds like a noble endeavor though. I'm interested to hear how it turns out.

    Comment


    • Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I second this comment!

    #3
    I'd start small. Maybe just slice off a small piece of each cheese and give it a try. Some cheeses melt better than others, so a little experiment could save you some $$.

    Comment


    • ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I second this comment!!

    #4
    Yeah, you can, if as was mentioned, the cheese is meltable. You have different texture between the two types. Do as RonB says. But I think it may work. The blend of tastes sounds most interesting.

    Comment


      #5
      Isn't that how they make colby jack? Maybe not, maybe they mix the curds before they set, what do I know. I know I love cheese.

      Comment


        #6
        Of course ya can...
        Might be easier to shred or chunk 'em both down, observe 'em both fer how they melt, as said, above... might a lil' require intervention, with some flour/milk, to keep things smoothed out...
        It'll be OTay!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 26, 2017, 09:56 PM.

        Comment


          #7
          I second all comments

          Comment


          • Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I second alla th' previous seconds, thus far...

          #8
          Try a small sample.
          Problem is once you melt cheese you are technically done with that cheese.

          Comment


            #9
            I would grate the cheeses first and find out which one had the lower melting point, using a large pot. I would go at a low heat and put the higher melting point cheese in first with a bit of butter and would then fold it over itself as it started to melt. Use the lowest melting temp possible. Then I would slowly add the lower melting point cheese in, stirring only slightly and folding. Mix the reapers in. As soon as you get a mix that you like take in off and put into the molds. Cool.

            Comment


            • EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Seems a good procedure for the experiment!

            #10
            Might have better luck shredding the cheeses and peppers and pressing the mixture into a mold. Not sure that I would actually "melt" the cheese.

            Comment


            • CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              That's what I was thinking.

            #11
            Shred mix then put into a vacuum sealer once the air is out the pressure will form it back into a solid. Dont use already cheese. Remember the peppers will not have a shelf life like the cheese will

            Comment


              #12
              Would it help to roast the peppers? A fire roast would loosen skins. Seems like raw reapers and cheese may be courting contamination. I like the idea of shred and vacuum seal. Maybe a short dip in sous vide would meld the flavors without melting cheeses. I don't know -- just theorizing!

              Comment


                #13
                I would imagine it would be best to do it in small batches. Mixed appreciated cheese or pre-chopped cheese. Add the cooked peppers. Rock at work but I think you would get a better flavor profile if you cut them a little bit. And do it One mold at a time until you get the hang of it. I don't know that I would vacuum seal it. I would imagine that she's with next better if they had the same oil content or fat content. The dryer the cheese the less fat and harder it is to melt. The best melting cheeses have a higher fat content that's what makes it melt. Seems doable to me if you have a terrain.

                Comment


                  #14
                  With a bit of an emulsifier, you can absolutely do this.
                  This is how I would do it:
                  Many American childhood involves processed cheese—there’s just something about a warm grilled cheese filled with gooey, melty Kraft American or a big bowl of creamy Velveeta Shells & Cheese that appeals to kids’ tastebuds. As adults, we still crave the comforting texture and unctuousness of processed cheese, but most of us also crave cheese that’s a little more nuanced in flavor—the nutty, earthy notes of Gruyère, for instance, or the wake-you-up funk of Roquefort or Stilton. Enter melting salts and melting aids. A cornerstone of the commercial cheese world, salts such as sodium citrate and sodium hexametaphosphate and melting aids like sodium caseinate allow manufacturers to create products that don’t “oil off”—an industry term that refers to the tendency of the fats in melting cheese to separate from the proteins. In the modernist kitchen, chefs have taken advantage of these additives to alter the texture of great cheeses, creating slices that have the great melty, creamy quality of the plastic-wrapped stuff you find on supermarket shelves, while retaining the wonderful, complex flavors of the best fromage.Here, we walk you through the steps of creating a melty slice using sharp cheddar. After combining the cheese with milk and salts, you’ll heat the mixture and blend it together until it reaches a smooth consistency. You can use the cheese right away, but if you want firm slices, you’ll need to cast the cheese in a mold and chill it for at least six hours.The process works with other cheeses, although you’ll need to adjust the method and ingredients slightly, depending on the cheese you’re starting out with. We’ve included directions for working with a number of popular cheeses; these represent the best results that came out of our kitchen. Check out our parametric analysis of all of our results!In general, younger cheeses, such as mild cheddars and pepper jack, tend to work very well for this application. Fresher cheeses, cheeses with lower protein content, and older cheeses will require more manipulation. If you want to experiment with other kinds of cheese, you’ll need to do some trials on your own, but our work should give you an idea of what’ll work best.EDITORS’ NOTE: We looked at all the comments and questions you had about the original recipe(s) and retested all the old formulas, and we updated and expanded this page to reflect the results of our latest round of trials.

                  Comment


                  • EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks definitive!

                  • Bruce54
                    Bruce54 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've used the sodium citrate for cheese sauce, works pretty well.

                  #15
                  After further thoughts, I might think along the lines of kmhfive & CandySueQ in the theorizing end of things. What you are saying is making cheese that is already been made. I question if it is as simple as melting down & starting over by mixing & then letting it settle. The cheese process is just that, a process. It will be interesting what you try & what you end up with. Give it a shot with a few of the ideas. In the meantime somebody will step in with the idea. I will try to talk to a cheese maker since we have them in every town around here. Good fortune!

                  Comment


                  • Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Seems unlikely to work as you are breaking a cheese in the melting. You need an emulsifier. Sodium citrate would be the most likely culprit.

                  • FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Potkettleblack, I knew some one with a whole lot more know how would have the answer, from this group. Never fails.

                Announcement

                Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                0
                Guest
                Guest
                500
                ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
                7