Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickled carrots recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pickled carrots recipe?

I recently picked up a jar of pickled carrots up north, and they are phenomenal- everything you love about that good authentic dill pickle flavor, but more crunch from being slivered carrots. Anyone have a good recipe for them that you've used? I know I could Google a dozen recipes but I'm looking for tried & true recommendations.

Thanks!

Refrigerator pickles are straight forward and generally if you use the right level of acid and salt, the rest is up to you

Comment

Mosca just made some pretty good sounding dill pickles. I have found that if you have a good dill pickle recipe you can pickle about anything. You just have to adjust the time on it.

Good luck and have fun.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Dill, and almost exactly the recipe at the main site. And the result is excellent.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Mosca I musta read something out of context, saw the word sweet I thought.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee Yeah, me and mountainsmoker were discussing pickling spice, and he alerted me that it was probably for sweet pickles, which it was. I’m not as against them as you are, but they aren’t my first choice, either.

My wife used this for fermented pickled carrots. It takes a while, but it's worth it. https://www.makesauerkraut.com/fermented-carrot-sticks/

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Good stuff, thanks!

If you are going to make Dill pickles you have to have fresh or frozen Dill.. Dill weed and Dill seed don't cut it.. ya don't get the Dill flavor from them.. just my opinion. We make a 100 quarts of Dill pickles a year.. so I have a touch of experience here..

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you have a pickle recipe you're willing to share? I'm thinking the same recipe would work, although I might add chiles and garlic cloves just because.

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        I will have to dig it up.. but we can ours..i might work.. yea I will share it ..can't use too much garlic I put 3-4 cloves in each jar

OK so a peck of pickled carrots Peter Rabbit picked. If Peter Rabbit picked a peck of pickled carrots, where's the peck of pickled carrots that Peter Rabbit picked?

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Uh, Troutman , that was Peter Piper who picked the peck of pickled peppers, if I recall my nursery rhymes right.

Peter Rabbit was busy busting a move away from Mr. McGregor's rake.

K.

In all seriousness, I started making pickles about 4 years ago using a Bobby Flay recipe. Since then I've used the same recipe for pepper, pearl onions, baby carrots, really anything that you want to use.

Homemade Dill Pickles

4 Kirby cucumbers, sliced into ¼-inch thick slices
      2 cups distilled vinegar
      2 cups white wine vinegar
      3/4 cup packed coarsely chopped fresh dill, divided
      4 tablespoons sugar
      2 teaspoons kosher salt
      3/4 teaspoons dill seeds
      1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
      1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds

1. Place sliced cucumber in a medium bowl with a fitted lid.
      2. Combine 1 cup of water, the vinegars, ½ cup of the dill, sugar, salt, dill seeds, mustard and coriander seeds in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Cook until the sugar and salt has dissolved. Remove from the heat and taste for tartness. Add more sugar if too sour, and let cool to room temperature.
      3. Pour the cooled liquid over the cucumbers, cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours, stirring the mixture at least once.

Again, just substitute carrots for the cucs.

Comment

• ScottyC13
        ScottyC13 commented
        Editing a comment
        A lot of recipes call for pouring the hot liquid over the cucumbers. Does the temp make any difference?

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I let it cool to refrigerate. Don’t know why you would want it hot. Maybe the temp change might draw the pickling juice in a little faster? Good question.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here