Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pico de Gallo Crabmeat Salad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pico de Gallo Crabmeat Salad

I normally don't post many sides or salads, but this in one we threw together over the holiday that we deemed worth keeping and sharing. Our local store had a sale on 16 oz. containers of lump crab meat for $11.95 so I grabbed a container with my weekend shop. Wasn't sure what to do with it, hate to freeze crab meat, so decided on a side salad for the weekend cooks. Wife was going to make some Pico de Gallo and I decided to combine the two into one. Thus a Pico de Gallo Crabmeat salad was born.

Cuisine: Mexican-American
    Serves: 6-8 people
    Time: 30 minutes prep, minimum 1 hour in the fridge

Ingredients:

3 Roma tomatoes
    1 medium red onion
    2 jalapeno peppers (or serranos for more heat)
    1 large Hatch pepper (optional)
    1 medium bunch cilantro
    Juice of 2 limes
    16 ounces of lump crab meat
    1 tablespoon of olive oil
    2 tablespoons Thai chili sauce like Sambal Oelek
    2 tablespoons Kosher salt
    1 teaspoon cumin

Method:

1. Finely chop the tomatoes, onion, peppers and cilantro. Size of the dice can be from chunky to fine, your call.

2. Place the crabmeat in a colander to drain any liquid. Separate the meat and look for shell fragments.

3. Combine the chopped ingredients to make a Pico and add the lime juice, olive oil, salt and cumin. Toss thoroughly.

4. Next add the crab meat to the Pico. Taste and add more seasoning, if need be.

5. Finally blend in the Sambal, adjusting the heat level to taste. If the peppers from the Pico provide enough heat, simply leave out the Sambal. Also, it's Hatch pepper season and I had a lot to use so added to the salad, strictly optional on my part.

6. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour but preferably for 2 or more. It can be made and left overnight for next day service.

Hope you try this delicious recipe. It was a real hit with our family, in fact it was gone faster than anything else I made over the weekend.

Enjoy, Troutman te digo adios !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	crab salad 01.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	739457

Looks and sounds great! Bookmarked.

Comment

Pretty creative side - on the list. I have made pico, and I love crab. Never thought about combining the two.

Comment

Looks & sounds delicious!

Comment

Not a fan of crab..............but change to shrimp and I will try it. In fact I think I will.

Comment

Sounds good, but is that correct on the salt? Two tablespoons sounds like a lot.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I like a lot of salt. This is a pound of crab meat plus the Pico. You could cut down on it.

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Also it is kosher salt.

Almost ceviche-like. Definitely making this, thanks.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Throw in some shrimp and avocado and you have Campechana

Gosh this sounds delicious. Thanks, Troutman !

Kathryn

Comment

Yup. This one works for me.
              Nice job brother. 👊👊

Comment

Sounds real tasty! No fish sauce in there? (got the idea when you mentioned thai chili sauce for some reason. My mind works in mysterious ways). Need to see if I can find canned crab meat over here. I've only seen whole crabs in the stores. I guess they work just as well, I just have to empty them :-)

Comment

Buen hecho, Troutman. Muchicimas gracias.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here