Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garden for the grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garden for the grill

What do you typically plant vegetable wise that you enjoy grilling, or use for sauces, seasonings for the various things you like to grill.

I’ve got some herbs going - cilantro, basil, rosemary, etc. Haven’t done any veggies yet, but I’ve got a chunk of dirt I’m planning to turn into a fruit/veggie garden next spring. Wanted to do it this year, but we had a ton of wildflowers volunteer there and they were way too pretty to pull out. It may still turn into a summer project for some fall/winter veggies.

Comment

I planted today, 7 various types of tomato, from sauce to cherry, to slicers, etc.. and then planted jalepno's anaheim, spicy bell and standard bells, kale, swiss chard, and then I have rosemary, and Thyme in my kitchen, and I have basil outside. still have to plant some cucumbers. But, would like to explore more of the peppers, and try them in various chilis with the briskets and pulled pork etc.. and would like more of the Cilantro style plants. I have not planted in probably 7 years, but, we are at a new house, and it should be a better set up. Also want to find a single or double burner I can use outside to maybe can some tomatoes this fall.

Comment

I got the herbs growing. Bugs haven’t found then yet. I have curly and Italian parsley, two kinds of basil, rosemary, thyme, cilantro, and mint.

Comment

• wrgilb
          wrgilb commented
          Editing a comment
          Make sure the mint is in its' own container, otherwise it'll take over your entire area. It's highly invasive.

We always plant Tomatoes, Peppers, Squash, Onions, Leeks, Cabbage, and String Beans. Usually we have a few herbs growing that I need to use more often--Rosemary, Thyme, and Basil. We also have an Asparagus bed. It's fun to have a few fresh vegetables to eat!

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          What kind of luck do you get with onions and leeks? I have never had luck with onions..

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          I have been planting Candy Onions in my raised bed Garden Boxes. First I make a mound with potting soil. In 2017 my onions were Excellent but otherwise just Fair. My SIL is a VG Gardener and told me good onion growing years are few and far between in our area. Leeks go ok but I'm not sure the variety I plant.

"Herby" the Love Bug

Comment

• bardsleyque
          bardsleyque commented
          Editing a comment
          "62 or '63?

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          HaHa! Too funny. I am a bit of a hippy. There will be a convertible bug in my life at some point. I really want an old bus, but... lot's of want's a few I can make happen, The convertible would scratch my itch. But, if you have some seeds for me, I'll try planting one.
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; May 23, 2019, 03:09 PM.

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          Doesn't grow well in my soil.

One year I grew a banh mi garden. That was pretty cool. I would say zucchini and yellow squash, hot peppers like jalapenos, serranos, and habaneros. I always grow tomatoes but I don't try to grow enough for sauce anymore just for salads or sandwiches. Carrots and onions if you can I've never done really well with them. Then herbs, any that you like to use, rosemary, thyme, cilantro, sage, basil, etc.

Comment

Herbs, tomatoes, peppers, squash, onions, garlic, potatoes, maybe some corn this year.

Comment

Herbs. Every year I reevaluate what I use and what I don’t. This year I’m planting basil, rosemary, parsley, thyme, oregano, and tarragon.

The veggies don’t seem to make it. I planted cherry tomatoes one year, one plant. For all the work and bother, I would have been better off buying them as I needed them: work all summer tending, then 100 little tomatoes over about five days, then nothing.

This year I did spend $6 on a small pack of aji pepper seeds. You can’t get ajis in the US, so if they don’t grow it’s nbd.
            Last edited by Mosca; May 22, 2019, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I saw somebody planted some kale. Must be used to attract insects. Sure not much a people food. just starting a silly grass fire.

Comment

• NapMaster
                NapMaster commented
                Editing a comment
                Richard Chrz. Over time you'll see we occasionally go on a fun rant bashing kale specifically. While some here tout the virtues of kale, many take every opportunity to belittle that sorry excuse for human food. Of course it's all in good fun. 😁

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                NapMaster. Besides the incredible pool of knowledge here, what I like about this place is people do joke, and have fun, I see very little if any "snobery" here. I'd pick on me for it as well.

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                Kale, braised with a smoked turkey leg or ham hock can be delicious, but I prefer collards or turnip greens. It's kind of a Southern thing.

Zucchini and summer squash for the grill. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, basil, rosemary, and oregano. Planting grapes this year and two apple trees.

Comment

Herbs, especially different types of basil, tomatoes, and a few varieties of chili peppers that I can't buy in this neck of the woods.

Comment

Just herbs for me as well.

Comment

Were I doing it, it would be:
                    cilantro, tomatoes, basil, rosemary, parsley, hoja santa, oregano, thyme... have done some of those in the past, but don't have the space or the inclination to this year.

Comment

I got my stuff in the ground.

Up front I have habaneros, serranos, jalapenos, and sweet peppers, plus pumpkins for Halloween. In the back beds zucchinis and yellow squash going up a trellis, and some CBD heavy plants. Where the cherry tree fell I planted 3 varieties of tomatoes, and more zucchini and squash. Then for herbs 2 new rosemary plants, thyme, and sage. I still have another bed to fill. It'll probably get basil and cilantro.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here